When you drop a pant size or two

Options
Falcon
Falcon Posts: 853 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
Here's something that crossed my mind today. I decided I was sick of my over sized jeans and needed a couple of new pairs that didn't feel like they were about to drop down to my ankles out in public while I'm walking. That was my fear anyways.

Here's what happened and can anyone else relate to this.

I walked into an oversized store last night and started shifting through the clothing. For some reason I had it in my mind that a size 24 wide was going to be too small still considering the amount of weight I've dropped.

I told the clerk I lost this much weight and I plan to drop down to the next size by next spring but I was unsure of my size, even though lets be honest the size 26 w is close to being too big on me at this point in time. I think the 26 w is going to be joining the 28 w now sitting in my closet.

I had it in my mind that the 24 wide was too small and the girl was instant that I try them on anyways. (I think she noticed what the 26 w looked on me because I wore those to the store and she was insistent I try on the 24 w instead. She wanted to put the 26 w jeans back on the rack and not bother with them but silly me, I was insitant to take them with me to the dressing room anyways.) When I took a look at the size 26 w and I thought those do look too big.

She was insistant to put the size back and I was in a bit of turmoil and uncertainty because I've been a 26 borderline 28 for the last two years. I kept convincing myself the 24 was too small.

I finally won out and decided to try on the 24 w first. They fit? Holy molly they fit.

I walked out still wearing the 24 w black jeans and handed back the 26 w ( never did bother trying them on) and asked her what else she had in this size.

I ended up buying two new pairs of jeans in the next size down. Time to make these new jeans big on me now. That's my next small goal.

So who else can relate to the uncertainty and turmoil of fear going down the next size? I'm glad the girl insisted I try the 24 w on. My dad even told me drop down the next size and get rid of any over sized clothing.

Replies

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    Well done! I absolutely can relate to that. I started in an (Australian) 26 jeans and used to hope they would do up. Sometimes they didn't. I used to automatically go for the same size even though I knew it was falling off me, and I would also go for the largest size on the rack which was usually that 26. I can tell you that as I lost weight I adjusted my mental state and I find it exciting when I fit smaller clothes now! And I've learned to go smaller rather than larger. Today I'm wearing a size 8 skirt... US size 4. It never hurts to try the smaller size on, and it's great to have a goal of fitting into it!
  • Falcon
    Options
    I was pretty thrilled when I tried them on. My mental state needs a complete readjustment because when I was growing up I would always go to the next size as if knowing I was going to gain that weight in advance. Not a good thinking strategy at all.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    I was originally in a 22, almost 24. I refused to by clothes until the first 50 came off (80 pounds all together), and even now, I am hesitant to buy clothes, but I gave in when clearance was featuring cute pants and shorts. I picked up a 16, 17 (teen size), and then an 18. The 16 fit the best, but I liked how the 17's rode on my hips and butt better so I got those. Every time I go shopping, I question what size or that is not going to fit. It's normal and great job so far
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting in to the smaller size! FYI the "W" after the 24 does not stand for wide, it stands for womens. :smile:
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's fear so much as disbelief. I think we get so used to the size we have been… that even as we lose weight and can see things getting looser, we still can't quite believe that we could possibly fit into that size. Whatever that size is for us.

One of the pages I follow on FB posted a pic of a hoodie that they were selling and I loved it so much, I immediately clicked on it to buy it. But the largest size they offered was a 2x. In my most optimistic, I thought I might be able to get it on, but that it would surely be a little too tight for comfort. However, I really wanted it and since I was losing weight, I figured it would fit eventually. So, I decided to buy it. When I got it, I was shocked to realize that it fit… and fit comfortably.

Congrats and enjoy your new jeans! I'm hoping to be in 24 myself when I go shopping next. And I agree… get rid of any clothes that are now too big for you! Since I've still got a bunch of weight to lose, I will keep anything that is still wearable and looks halfway decent. But once they have crossed that line into "too big"… they are out the door!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Scary pants.
  • Falcon
    Options
    Last year I went shopping with my sister and she was insistent I try on a 24 but I knew it was too small at the time and was embarrassed about it. She's working hard to get the weight off too.

I left an email to my family telling them I was down another size and I know she's going to want to pull me into the nearest clothing store and get me to buy more clothing that fits better.

My sister likes to shop and I hate shopping. I'm more like my dad, in and out. My sister is more like mom, browse all day long :p
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Good for you :) I've just managed to get in to 34" waist jeans after wearing 44" waist jeans six months ago!
  • Falcon
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can't wait until I'm down into a size 34 waist again. It feels great just getting back into the size 45

The other two sizes make me want to cringe.

I have a pair of pants that's a size 34 just waiting for me to squeeze back into them. I bought them and six months later, I could no longer fit into them and I kept gaining weight. That was a mistake, I wished I had done something back then. I understand more now then I did eight years ago.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    That is so exciting! Celebrate that smaller size. And if in the future you try on a smaller size and it doesn't fit yet...so what? You know you can get there. And do get rid of the bigger sizes you already have, knowing that you've got this!

I recently bought the smallest pair of jeans I've ever owned and even now they are a bit big on me. I've been wanting to go back to the same store and try on the next smaller size but I've been putting if off for fear they won't fit. You've inspired me to go ahead and do it! I actually miss shopping in the plus size stores...not sure why...probably the same reasoning you have.

Keep up the good work!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Great job! I started out wanting to get back to my original size and I am now two sizes less due to exercise rather than weight loss.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what size I am now. I've lost 30 lbs and three belt notches. My current pants are VERY baggy. I'm holding off until I reach my goal until I try any new pants on. I don't want to spend the money on clothes I'll only wear for a month or two. I'm really hoping to fit into the pants size I wore when I graduated high school when reach my weight loss goal.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can relate..I was 26/28 and now Im starting to get into some 20s..I CANNOT wait for 18s!! Im the size now I was when I married 15 years ago actually 5 lbs lighter)..havent been this in a long time.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was here not too long ago.. Had to purchase some new work pants and I really hate when the sales people "squeeze" me into a size they think I should fit into, but like you, I didn't know what size I was having lost weight (and inches). I picked up a size 22, a comfortable fit for me I thought, and as usual felt "meh" in the pants. I have no butt and a huge gut (damn apple shape *mutter*) She said she thought she had something else for me to try (the fat stores have fancy stuff like "curvy" or "straight leg", blah blah blah). So, I tried on the pants not even looking at the size .. it was a 20 and it made me have a butt!! Not only that - it seemed to flatten my gut too - Eureka! It's funny how we have this crazy self image of how big we are even after our hard work at losing weight. Congrats - keep up the great efforts!!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can relate with the fear. I've dropped 50 lbs and I'm terrified to go clothes shopping for fear of not losing a size but I've been measuring myself and I know I've lost a good 7 inches off my waist.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I get it. I'm always nervous about moving down into the next size. I keep waiting until the size I'm wearing to be ridiculously baggy before I move into the next size down.

I'm wearing a smaller size today and should have been wearing them for a few weeks now. But I always hesitate.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Great job! I started at a tight 24, and when I tried on a pair of 18 jeans a few weeks ago I did it because I thought it would be fun to see how far up my legs I could pull them up. Well, I was amazed when I could get them all the way up & zippered! I'm rocking those today, and soon you will be too!

I have some great thrift shops around me, so I have been buying clothes for every size I am at without too much investment.
  • Falcon
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I really like the one pair jeans I have and I am thinking about altering them to a smaller size. I have a friend who knows how to take them down a couple of notches and I have a sewing machine. Maybe I can learn :

I didn't really want to spend the money and I didn't spend a lot of money on the tops. I really could use a couple of new pairs of pants at this point.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm always scared of buying women's clothing because 90% of the time, they don't fit properly. I've lost 147#. I should be able to wear jeans/pants that have snaps and zippers. Nope. Elastic waists are the only thing that fit me due to my pear shape (big butt, smallish waist). Shirts are as much of a nightmare. My biceps are still massive with flab, so I have to buy 2 sizes larger to fit my biceps while the rest of my torso looks like it's hiding in a tent.

I buy shirts from the men's section. Jeans/pants are a little more difficult since men's clothes doesn't take into account having a butt.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I definitely go through this too. My husband always has to steer me to the right size because I consistently pick sizes that are too big to take into the dressing room with me.