Breakfast boredom

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    One of the caveats of maintaining 1200 cals per day over the long-term--you will find that you become very bored with the food options. If you are insistent on staying at 1200, I would suggest changing it up a bit and eating a bit more for breakfast and cutting out 1 or 2 of your snacks.

I try to keep my breakfast around 300 cals--I usually eat either an egg/ham/cheese sandwich on a muffin or make myself pumpkin spice oatmeal. You can pre-make mini quiches with eggs and vegetables and just reheat them in the morning. Yogurt with cereal or granola mixed in is a decent breakfast.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. It's not like eating 1200 is under eating & as long as you are getting a variety of healthy foods, you are fine. Once you have lost a comfortable amount of weight & feel good about eating back some of your exercise calories, you can experiment with the total number of calories. I started at 1200 & now eat between 1500-2000. I would suggest a packet of oatmeal with some flax seed & a 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder. You can vary your flavor of oatmeal so you don't get bored & will get about 233 calories & it will fill you up, be a good carb & have good protein. Also it takes seconds to make :) Also hard boil some eggs in advance & you can have them with a piece of toast. Google south beach diet quiches. They are awesome & can be made several ways to your liking & frozen or refrigerated & just pop them in the microwave for seconds. Yummy~ Good luck to you.
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    njmark72 wrote: »
    Bacon and Egg Sandwich...

Eggwhites or Egg beaters (~ 50 Calories)
    Hormel Black Label Fully Cooked Microwave Bacon (4 slices = 70 calories)
    Shop Rite Enriched Light White Hamburger Bun (80 calories)

200 Calorie Goal met...

sounds yum - Anybody know about getting egg beaters in the UK?
  • JaneECS
    Options
    michellesz wrote: »
    Do what works for you. It's not like eating 1200 is under eating & as long as you are getting a variety of healthy foods, you are fine. Once you have lost a comfortable amount of weight & feel good about eating back some of your exercise calories, you can experiment with the total number of calories. I started at 1200 & now eat between 1500-2000. I would suggest a packet of oatmeal with some flax seed & a 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder. You can vary your flavor of oatmeal so you don't get bored & will get about 233 calories & it will fill you up, be a good carb & have good protein. Also it takes seconds to make :) Also hard boil some eggs in advance & you can have them with a piece of toast. Google south beach diet quiches. They are awesome & can be made several ways to your liking & frozen or refrigerated & just pop them in the microwave for seconds. Yummy~ Good luck to you.

thanks so much - that's the kind of support I'm after!
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of Greek yogurt and berry smoothies, portion it out and freeze. I grab and go to eat at my desk in the morning. It's like breakfast ice cream. Mine are a little over 300 cals with lots of protein so you could have a smaller portion or cut down to 3 100 cal snacks that day.
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What about a protein bar or shake? Some of the raw bars are near 200 cal and if not you could add some milk or juice....
    I personally cannot stomach much food so early in the morning, so I eat cereal and then have a snack when I get to work.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I think the make ahead plan is probably best for you! The egg muffins and breakfast sandwiches are so easy to prepare and reheat. The great thing about the muffins is that you can really mix up the toppings to add variety. Greek yogurt and berries are one of my go to breakfasts as well. I also read a blog the other day about making freezer smoothie kits that you just blend in the morning, prep already done! Good luck!
  • JaneECS
    Options
    Thanks Amitysk - We already pre-prep lunch and dinner the night before, so adding breakfast would not be hard. Will give it a go.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Egg sandwiches
    Greek yogurt and fruit
    Overnight oats
    Protein shake/bar
  • JaneECS
    Options
    Had never encountered overnight oats before - do we simply just soak them in yogurt overnight, or is there something complicated to be done?
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I eat Quaker's oatmeal cups. Ranging from 160-200 calories and they keep me full until lunch.
    I also have Kathleen's all natural quick oats oatmeal cups. Don't know if they are regional or national. They're a tad more topping out at 220 calories per cup.

50 seconds in the microwave and I have a good warm breakfast. :)
  • JaneECS
    Options
    I have no issue with going over slightly - up to 230ish is fine. 200 is my average, rule of thumb thingy to keep us on track.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    JaneECS wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    "Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack."

Why do you 'have' to do this? And 1,200 calories a day?....

I do this because it works - 1.5 lost every week, almost without fail. And I didn't ask for criticism, I asked for support.

What part of my post was criticism? I was merely asking a question.
  • JaneECS
    Options
    "Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack."

I do this because it works - 1.5 lost every week, almost without fail. And I didn't ask for criticism, I asked for support.

the "have" in inverted commas - and the "?..." In the view of most UK people, that would be the height of sarcasm. Perhaps a more open style of questioning in future.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like making chia seed pudding for breakfast. It's similar to overnight oats I suppose just with chia seeds instead of oats. There are a lot of combinations you can choose from. I have been eating a pumpkin pie flavoured one lately. Pumpkin puree, almond milk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spices, almond butter ... blend that up ... and add the seeds and stir. I make enough to last about 4 days in the fridge and you could add protein powder to it as well if you'd like.
  • littlefoxyoga
    littlefoxyoga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal can be an upgrade from cereal. I top mine with VARIOUS things but my favorite is:

1/2 cup instant oat
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup Calabro Fat Free Ricotta
    1 Tbsp brown sugar
    1/2 cup berries or other fruit
    (optional: 1 Tbsp Fat Free French Vanilla Powdered Creamer)

Sugar or fat free hot cocoa packets also make a nice chocolate oatmeal.

Hungry Girl (cooking channel personality) has a lot of great oatmeal and breakfst tips... she does this egg thing with a mug and a microwave. I hate microwaves but know that many disagree and it's their time saver... check her out http://www.hungry-girl.com/
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

The part where you weren't fawning all over OP? o:)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack.
    We have been fine, until this week, when its all gone a bit tits up - starving and bored.
    Will try some new things in porridge - thinking about doing smaller portions, but stirring in peanut butter, maybe

If you are missing your 10:30 snack, don't you have an extra 100 calories anyway? I'd add it to breakfast.
  • JaneECS
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Because we do 200 cals for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 for dinner and 4 100 cal snacks - in theory I would be having a snack around 10.30, but I am normally in a meeting or lecture, and it wouldn't be appropriate to break out a snack.
    We have been fine, until this week, when its all gone a bit tits up - starving and bored.
    Will try some new things in porridge - thinking about doing smaller portions, but stirring in peanut butter, maybe

If you are missing your 10:30 snack, don't you have an extra 100 calories anyway? I'd add it to breakfast.

Ting! Light bulb moment, thanks Lemurcat
  • quzly
    quzly Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is my go to. Under 200. However, I usually add half and avocado. I make this on Sundays and it last great for the week.

https://www.skinnymom.com/2014/01/15/skinny-quiche/