How to stop the hungries?

Options
2»

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Lay off on the carbs and sugar and add more and more protein and good fats.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Some one else might have said this already, but when I started I had the same complaint and was told that I was eating too little calories. I wanted to lose 2lbs a week and MFP told me to eat 1200 calories. The wise people on here talked me in to 1lb a week loss, which allows me 1440 calories (trust me, that extra 240 calories makes a big difference) and I also eat back about half of my exercise calories.

If MFP set you on 1200 calories you might want to reevaluate that. I rather lose weight slowly and not be miserable. The first month or so, even with extra calories you will probably still be hungy. I find that if I mix protein with fiber I stay full longer. Like an apple in greek yogurt keeps me full for breakfast.

• richardositosanchez
    Options
    Increase your water intake and add more protein.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Annabel89 wrote: »
    Protein, Protein, Protein. Make sure everything you eat is high protein.

This ^^^ Greek yogurt, meat, ham and hard boiled egg, beans,....

Btw- I have a really hard time doing the protein thing. Love me my carbs-- but, when I do manage it -more protein totally helps the hunger and I lose.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    start thinking of what you're putting into your body and only choose things that are nutrient filled. Your body craves nutrients, not waffles.

Start the day with protein, healthy fats, nutrient rich carbs. - and make every meal count toward the daily goal of becoming fitter and healthier.
    -
    Breakfast, 2 eggs over easy cooked in coconut oil or butter. A side of 2 pork sausages. A half cup of blueberries with a half cup of greek yogurt (plain) but with a teaspoon of honey drizzled over the top of it. The nutrients will fill you and keep you happy.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Personally, while I'm still rather sporadic in my tracking and still working on making any consistent progress, one thing that has helped me with the not starving was that for the first week or two I set a high calorie amount. The high calorie allowable was mostly so I didn't feel frustrated when I went over. I then tried to log every bit of food I ate on a normal week (which is why it was two, the first week was not normal) to determine the amount of calories on average a day I was eating. It turns that my normal was about 2500 calories a day and I was trying to cut it down to 1200 just like that. No wonder I was starving and was setting myself up for failure. Sure if I had been able to sustain it, massive caloric deficit would have helped me quickly lose weight, but completely not sustainable for me.

Quick summary, I had to know how much I really was eating for I could make changes that would help longer term.
  • Vaprrenon
    Vaprrenon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Vaprrenon wrote: »
    It's hard to embrace hunger when it drives you absolutely crazy and all you can think about is food every day...that's the perfect setup for failure.

The failure is to embrace feeling-full as a positive thing and feeling slightly hungry as negative.

I'll give you that; I never said that feeling a bit hungry was bad. I'm just saying that when you're constantly hungry (the kind that will practically drive you nuts, not just feeling *slightly* hungry now and again), you're not going to be able to stick with anything and often go overboard eating later and that's not good for anyone.