How often do you have rest days?

Options
2»

Replies

• Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I take at least 1 rest / recovery day per week. This week my rest day was Wednesday but I am taking 2 extra days off from cardio because I twisted my knee. I'll be back tomorrow. Like somebody said above, make sure to listen to your body when it "barks" back at you.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I workout at the gym Tues, Thurs and Sat. Other days I either go for long walks or hop on the rowing machine. Every now and then, I might do practically nothing (say about 5-6k steps), but it makes me appreciates my workout days a lot more! I struggle not to do something TBH.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I struggle to on those days that I don't work out too. I want to get up and do something. Don't know what will happen when football season is over. However, I realized that although I might act like a spring chicken on those days I work out, my body needs the rest at my age and my plan is to keep going however I can for life.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I struggle to on those days that I don't work out too. I want to get up and do something. Don't know what will happen when football season is over. However, I realized that although I might act like a spring chicken on those days I work out, my body needs the rest at my age and my plan is to keep going however I can for life.

Amen to that. I'm in the best shape I've been since high school, but it's the best shape on an older chassis.

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I was doing full rest on Sundays and active rest (yoga class) on Wednesdays. Then I got closer to my powerlifting meet and started lifting on Sundays, too. I will probably keep this schedule if time permits. And, I take a de-load week every 4 weeks with my lifting and a rest week before a powerlifting meet or 3 full rest days before a Crossfit comp. I have experienced some central nervous system fatigue in the past and had to take a week off of lifting and high intensity activity due to poor recovery. I am 41. I usually train 60-120 minutes per day at least 5x per week but I certainly had to work up to that. Listen to your body!
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Two forced rest days each weekend.
  • trungalung
    Options
    I lift on Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri so I have "active rest days" on the others. Rest days for me do not mean sitting on my butt and watch TV (I get plenty of that at work). In those days, I usually do some form of cardio like running/biking, plyometric, swimming, or playing sports.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    typically, 0 rest days. running daily keeps me sane.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Usually one day a week
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sunday. Sunday is "I will only put pants on if I have to" day.

I love Sunday.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy on M/W/F and do yoga on Sat. I try to not totally sit on my butt on Tue/Th/Sun but I don't do any structured exercise on those days. I might walk somewhere or just do a lot of chores but nothing deliberately exercise-ey.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    I normally have 7 rest days a week. Even then I sometimes feel tired....

Lol.

I like to do cardio one day (such as a 3-5 mile run), the next day strength training with light cardio (walking, short run), then cardio, then strength, etc with usually one day off a week or whatever my body feels like. If I'm extremely worn out one day, I'll take the day off. It's important to listen to your body.
    That's pretty much what I do but I don't run....I'm one of those nutters that likes to do a lot of interval exertion on a treadmill, usually brisk walking on a variety of inclines without cheating by holding on as if I'm riding a mechanical bull! As long as I've got my sounds I'm happy. :D

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I rest about one day a week, and try to time it either before or after a really long run or hard workout. As I've gotten fitter, I find it's actually harder for me to take that rest day = I just love working out now! On my rest day, I'm still likely to get some movement in - walking, cleaning, yard work, etc.

I would say - if you are hurting, feeling sluggish, listen to your body. Especially at first, it may be wise to incorporate 2 or even 3 rest days into your week.