Cold weather gear for a fat bloke

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ntw25 wrote: »
    I am not looking for anything "form fitting", I already run in the dark to avoid being seen, looking like the Michelin Man would probably get me shot

For base layer, form fitting is what you're after as that's largely what provides the insulation properties. as you're losing weight there's little point in going for Merino, but that's very much the best option. UnderArmour, Helly Hansen, Haglofs etc all make good stuff.

High viz tee over the top helps to give you the visibility, and helps to camouflage the form fitting base layer a bit. I understand the preference not to look like a badly packed kit-bag, as I've been there myself.

I wear tights in cold weather, I don't bother with anything over or under them but if it helps then slip a pair of shorts over the top. No real practical effect but again they break up the lines of the form fitting aspect.

As it cools further I'll use a fleece half zip top, Berghaus or Haglofs.

The main things for me are insulation and wind proofing. As you're running theres little point in waterproofing. I opt for the get wet, then have a shower approach.

Hat and gloves make a huge difference to comfort, and in many ways I'll opt for those with a tee and shorts as they do seem to have a big effect.

Something like a buff is pretty good as it's adaptible.

As upthread, lighting and visibility is important. Head-torch is useful for me, but some like knuckle lights. and something on your back.

The main thing is layering up, that lets you shed layers if you need to.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    You shouldn't be running at all. You will be damaging your knees and back.

Utter nonsense.

I was trying to figure out if that was a serious post. I am forced to conclude it was. I can't believe anyone would purposely try to derail someone's attempt at getting healthier in a way they prefer. I can only conclude that the person making that statement is a sad excuse and has to legitimize their own lame attempts at getting healthier by putting down others. So sad.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    To actually add to the discussion - as others have said make sure you are visible. With winter comes less daylight, which can mean you are out at dark, or worse, twilight. Get reflective arm bands, and LED blinky lights. They make these specifically to just strap around your arms/legs/whatever so you can be more visible.

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Serioulsly losing weight is 80% diet!!!!!!!!!!! Get on top of that and the weight will fall off. You can exercise and run all you like when you are slim. It is easier to lose weight when you do not exercise.

Please, don't listen to this nonsense.

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Layers & wicking is what you need.

I started running at just under 300 pounds, and had troubles finding the right clothing too. Shopping in stores was a nightmare, but I was able to find some great stuff online, however, they were mostly women's stores so I can't help much there. Major kudos to you on the running! Just keep in mind when you are buying that you will want bright reflective stuff since you will be out in the dark.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to talk about layer, because others have covered that. I will mention visibility systems.

REI has a decent complement of bands and vests that are good, hi-viz systems that include reflectors and LEDs. Most of the vests are open on the sides as well, so trivial sizing for a larger guy.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options

Serioulsly losing weight is 80% diet!!!!!!!!!!! Get on top of that and the weight will fall off. You can exercise and run all you like when you are slim. It is easier to lose weight when you do not exercise.

This is beyond bad advice. I agree that diet plays a huge part in keeping weight off and maintaining it but exercise is vital. Don't weight (haha) until another time to exercise. And telling people its easier to lose weight when you do not exercise...maybe for a few folk but generally I think this is false and crappy advice to give.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

This is beyond bad advice. I agree that diet plays a huge part in keeping weight off and maintaining it but exercise is vital. Don't weight (haha) until another time to exercise. And telling people its easier to lose weight when you do not exercise...maybe for a few folk but generally I think this is false and crappy advice to give.
    I reported her for trolling the OP.