Can't squat. How to increase flexibility?

Options

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    W31RD0 wrote: »
    I do a lot of these before I start squatting in my workout.

I would stop doing the stretch before the workout. Studies are showing that stretching before reduces strength and may contribute to more injury.

Warm ups are still important though.

I stretch after the workout and on my rest days.

What studies?

Static-stretching has shown to inhibit the muscles so it's best for post-exercise, however; there are other forms of stretching. If you are super-tight though, you can do a movement via static stretching and then do the same movement again via Active Isolation stretching. Stretching is important and won't give you STD's like popular belief currently holds. If you can't move in the correct planes of motion then you will hurt yourself eventually. Tight prime movers are compensated for by antagonists which is very bad. In other words, antagonist muscles are doing something they're not meant to do.

- Foam Rolling: Roll on a Foam Roller until you find the tight spot(s) and hold on that spot for 30-sec's
    - Active Isolation: Extend the stretch > hold for 2-sec's > release > extend for 2-sec's and do 5-10 reps for 1-3 sets (*this is actually very effective)
    -Dynamic Stretching: Actually move the muscles through a range of motion for 10-reps. Something like "lateral tube-walking"
    -PNF Stretching: you'll need somebody who knows what they're doing to do this for you though.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stretching has helped me. Stretching in the pool really helps me. I can stretch things in the pool I just couldn't do on land because of gravity.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Do you poop?

Everyone knows girls don't poop or even fart.

Thats a fact!!.. execpt a couple.

• dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Definitely need to improve flexibility in your hips and lower back. Also, you could be quad dominant and not engaging your glutes or hamstrings properly. It's hard to say without seeing you do the movement. Balance issues... You might want to start more basic for a couple weeks to just make some improvement in balance and stability. Maybe just start with something like...

-Reverse Dumbbell Lunges 12-20 reps
    -Dumbell Step-ups (bring your alternate leg up and hold it for 2 seconds) 12-20 reps
    -Single Leg *un-weighted* romanian deadlifts for 8-12 reps (balance and improving hamstring and gluteal strength)
    -Back Raises 12-20 reps
    -Glute Bridges (un-weighted) 12 reps
    -Front & Side Planks (30-sec holds, increase from there)

Do that 2 to 3 days a week for 4 weeks while working on your flexibility and then try to squat again. At that point you may then consider doing Goblet Squats so you can get the movement down. Again, it's hard to give more direct feedback without seeing you move, but consider this as a starting point.

Yes! I feel like squats only fire my quads and don't feel anything in my glutes at all. I will look these excercises up when I get home and try them.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    dagost17 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Definitely need to improve flexibility in your hips and lower back. Also, you could be quad dominant and not engaging your glutes or hamstrings properly. It's hard to say without seeing you do the movement. Balance issues... You might want to start more basic for a couple weeks to just make some improvement in balance and stability. Maybe just start with something like...

-Reverse Dumbbell Lunges 12-20 reps
    -Dumbell Step-ups (bring your alternate leg up and hold it for 2 seconds) 12-20 reps
    -Single Leg *un-weighted* romanian deadlifts for 8-12 reps (balance and improving hamstring and gluteal strength)
    -Back Raises 12-20 reps
    -Glute Bridges (un-weighted) 12 reps
    -Front & Side Planks (30-sec holds, increase from there)

Do that 2 to 3 days a week for 4 weeks while working on your flexibility and then try to squat again. At that point you may then consider doing Goblet Squats so you can get the movement down. Again, it's hard to give more direct feedback without seeing you move, but consider this as a starting point.

Yes! I feel like squats only fire my quads and don't feel anything in my glutes at all. I will look these excercises up when I get home and try them.

Sometimes it's just not appropriate for somebody to walk right into doing something like a squat or deadlift, and that's okay it's something that can easily be fixed. That's why strength-stabilization training blocks exist. Those exercises and rep schemes (lower the weight slowly, like 4-sec then hold for 2-sec) are basically to help build some base strength and stability, which will get you ready for more fun lifts like the squat. It's also not uncommon for women to be quad dominant, so it's not like you're weird or anything. :)
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    This video shows a lot of hip mobility work. Do it everyday and you will notice your hips start to open up more.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-363-pre-squat-hip-opener-mob-rx/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you poop?

well that proves then without a shadow of a doubt- I'm clearly not a girl!!!!

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Do you poop?

Maybe you should re-think the protein powder you're drinking (profile pic). LOL
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    dont forget your upper back. A really tight t spine can impede squatting too. I found it helpful to roll mine and do to wall squats (facing wall, arms overhead against wall). squats with one leg elevated on a step (helps with hip range of motion). And lastly, if possible, get a trainer to help you!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Do you poop?

:)

http://youtu.be/crHqgShbhbQ
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    try some myo facial massage, studies have shown that self massage using a roller can increase flexibility and strength... Read " stretch to win" an excellent reference book for increasing flexibility.
  • dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    dont forget your upper back. A really tight t spine can impede squatting too. I found it helpful to roll mine and do to wall squats (facing wall, arms overhead against wall). squats with one leg elevated on a step (helps with hip range of motion). And lastly, if possible, get a trainer to help you!

Yeah, my spine's all jacked up. I have a feeling that has a lot to do with a lot of my problems. After I get back from the chiropractor I feel like a new person and can bend my body in ways normal people can!

I have watched a bunch of videos and have been doing a lot of stretching. WOW! I did not realize my hips were that tight!! Just a few days and I already feel a difference.

Thanks guy for all your help!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind too, you'll open up a lot once you get that weight on you and start moving through the lift over weeks and months.

I was a lot tighter than I am now. Especially in my shoulders. The squat has done a lot for that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Great article with exercises to improve squat form:
    http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

You can also look into DeFranco's Limber 11. This and his Simple 6 are great for increasing mobility.
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the links. Im not the OP but I found this thread to be very good and have bookmarked and done some of the stretches ! MFP rocks !
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    W31RD0 wrote: »
    I do a lot of these before I start squatting in my workout.

I would stop doing the stretch before the workout. Studies are showing that stretching before reduces strength and may contribute to more injury.

Warm ups are still important though.

I stretch after the workout and on my rest days.

While it's true that static stretching before doing weights can reduce strength, if mobility is imapired to the extent that you can't actually get your body into the correct position to do the movement with proper form you will benefit from doing mobility work and stretching before you lift. The difference in mobilty you can achieve with a bit of work before squatting will more than make up for the reduction in strength.

This is coming from someone with tight hips and ankle that do restrict my ability to squat. On that note, OP how is your ankle mobility? This as well as bad hip mobility can also impact on your squat
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Great article with exercises to improve squat form:
    http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

You can also look into DeFranco's Limber 11. This and his Simple 6 are great for increasing mobility.

Thats such a good article. I have read it before but it was good to read it again. Thanks for posting it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    small aside: How can you tell what is good vs impacted ankle mo?