Stationary Bike, or Elliptical Trainer?

Options
Which is better, or any better suggestions?

Replies

• kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical, although I do have an exercise bike at home.

I think the elliptical counts as weight bearing exercise, much like walking or running, but without the straining impact on your lower joints. Plus, on many machines, you can work your arms too! :)

Actually the best one is whichever one you will USE! :)
  • FocusPlease
    FocusPlease Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to use the elliptical a lot at the gym and liked it because it seemed to burn more calories in a lesser amount of time, so it was nice when I was limited on time. And of course, if you do the one with the arm movement bars, it's more of an all-over workout.

BUT--we bought a couple months ago a stationary bike because it was a smaller "footprint" in our house. It's great to have, even though I have yet to make it a habit.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Ive been using bike since jan 10, lost good amount of weight (ticker amount)
    I went bought elliptical trainer on thursday so i cant comment on the effects as of yet.. but dam it really makes me sweat lol
  • sjmanning
    sjmanning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because According to my my wife's trainer, because you get both a lower body and upper body workout with the elliptical, you can burn more calories. My favorite cardio machine.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical. I sometimes wish we had a treadmill - I might try the couch to 5K again if I had one.

I've never had an exercise bike, but think I would like it just as much as the elliptical.

I agree with pp though - whichever you would use most is what you should get. In my head an elliptical seems like it would be a little harder since you can't sit and pedal, but its definately easier on your knees.

Maybe you can go to a sporting goods store and talk to someone about which would be better.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the elliptical than I do on the bike. So...I choose the elliptical.
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I love the elliptical, I'm not too good on the bike. And I remember reading somewhere, that any exercise that you do sitting down, burns always less calories compared to one standing up. Don't really know how true that is.
  • lcheney89
    lcheney89 Posts: 10
    Options
    The elliptical trainer is much better because you are utilizing more muscle groups while you work out. I actually recently learned this in my sports physiology class in school :)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical at the gym but I ride my bike to and from the gym. I know it isn't the same as a stationary bike but I love bike riding:heart: so I figure this way I get the benefit of both. I do like the way the elliptical makes me sweat and I do burn a lot of calories.:happy:
  • ashasm
    ashasm Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have both the bike and Elliptical trainer. I can ride the bike for 30min but only do the ellipt. for 5 so my vote is the Elliptical but they take up so much space in your home. I don't reccommend buying one unless you have a lot of space. Stay away from the cheap ones they are a waste of money. Personallly I think the good old fashion rowing machine beats them all.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    No comparison....ET
    hands down....love it
  • zooblflot
    zooblflot Posts: 131
    Options
    I've used both in the past and gotta say that standing on your feet blows sitting on your butt out of the water in calorie burning.