HELP! Mexican Food for Lunch

Options
So, I'm meeting my cousin and his wife for lunch at an amazing mexican food restaurant here in town. I usually get the spinach enchiladas with rice and beans (eat about 1/2 of the rice and beans), but I feel like there are a ton of calories. Any suggestions on what to do/not to do while there or food suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, I'm meeting my cousin and his wife for lunch at an amazing mexican food restaurant here in town. I usually get the spinach enchiladas with rice and beans (eat about 1/2 of the rice and beans), but I feel like there are a ton of calories. Any suggestions on what to do/not to do while there or food suggestions?

Thanks.

If it's an "amazing" restaurant, order whatever sounds the best and enjoy your meal and then get back on track tomorrow. For infrequent special outings or social gatherings don't worry about calorie intake at all
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    My go to is fajitas. I'll have one with the tortilla and then just eat the chicken, onions and peppers.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I did the Chicken Taco salad in a Tortilla shells yesterday, but didn't eat the shell.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are a good choice. You basically make them yourself, so you can control how much of what goes in them.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Taco salad or fajitas. But if it is a really good place that you love, one higher calorie meal isn't the end of the world.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Eat and have fun, and then go burn it all of doing something fun, again, like weights, cardio, hiking, running, swimming, etc.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tacos, add grilled onions and pico de gallo if you like. Limit the chips and salsa.

Problemo El solved.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    More than anything, watch out for the basket of chips. Otherwise, carnitas or carne asada allow you to avoid a lot of cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Eat and have fun, and then go burn it all of doing something fun, again, like weights, cardio, hiking, running, swimming, etc.

Totally healthy mindset there

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If this occurance is not your norm then don't worry about it so much. Enjoy the meal....maybe don't eat a ton of the rice or skip all together but beans are a good protein so enjoy and move on.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you love - just eat a small amount and take the rest home for another meal or two or three later.
    I always ask the waiter to bring me a "To-Go" container when they bring my meal - I STRESS please bring the box to me with my meal - not after! Then I choose the choices pieces of the meal to eat immediately and put the rest in the box to take home for later.
    That way - Out of sight, out of mind! When the food is in the box I can't sit and pick at it while everyone else is eating.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    One meal isn't going to tank your efforts. Promise.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your meal without worrying so much about calories. Workout later if you want, or just keep doing what you're doing tomorrow.
    Hell, I'm making my own carne asada nachos for dinner tonight. :p
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    My go to is fajitas. I'll have one with the tortilla and then just eat the chicken, onions and peppers.

This is what I do too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Thanks.

If it's an "amazing" restaurant, order whatever sounds the best and enjoy your meal and then get back on track tomorrow. For infrequent special outings or social gatherings don't worry about calorie intake at all

+1

I'd get what I like, eat half, and take half home for tomorrow.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I normally wouldn't mind a "splurge" here and there. After all, that's what keeps you going. My problem is I just started back to MFP this week and I don't want to start "splurging" right now. In a couple of weeks it will be OK. I just want to stay on track.

You guys ROCK!!!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    One trick I used when I was first starting is to immediately ask for a box. Then put half the food in the box. When you get home you can weigh and measure the remaining half so you can more accurately log it. Plus the old adage "Out of sight, Out of Mind" kept me from eating the whole plateful. Restaurant portions are typically HUGE, so dividing the meal right away helped me keep from overeating.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Thanks.

+2 on this.

I love mexican so I get whatever I want. I usually do not eat all of it anyway.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    see if they have a grilled chicken salad. Avoid tortillas.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This!!! One meal is not going to derail you, enjoy it