What is the best time in the day to exercise?

Options
Hey, I was wondering if there was a certain time in the day where it would be most efficient to work out? Do I burn more by doing it in the morning? I personally think no, but my sister in law and a friend insist that I need to work out in the morning and on an empty stomach - that would be most efficient. What say YOU? Thanks in advance

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of exercising on an empty stomach. A little exercise early on gives me a boost of energy that lasts all day.

A hard workout near bedtime will prevent me from sleeping well. So will skipping a day of exercise.

I'm not convinced that early exercise is more beneficial than late exercise, but so many people swear by it that I'm not convinced it isn't. :)
  • dobsm
    dobsm Posts: 2
    Options
    That's a myth! You don't burn any extra calories by exercising before you eat - in fact, your exercise won't be as efficient or feel as good if you exercise on an empty stomach. The ideal time to work out is 30-60 minutes after having a light snack of carbohydrates (something like a small bowl of cereal / toast / apple - breakfast-type foods). And make sure you're well-hydrated - another reason not to work out as soon as you get out of bed, because most people dehydrate somewhat overnight.

In terms of burning more calories, the key time is immediately after you've worked out - your metabolism will be raised from the exercise, and refuelling with protein & carbohydrates in the 30 minutes after a workout is ideal, and your body will burn it efficiently.

I also don't like working out (well, running in particular) in the morning because exercise makes me need the bathroom if I haven't already been that day, and going for a run first thing always means I'm caught short halfway round!!

Source: I've run two marathons in the last two years so I've experimented a lot with working out at different times of day during training!
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When it works for you... I've been known to exercise in the mornings, afternoons, evenings... Depends on my schedule. Getting the exercise in matters more. As long as you exercise and make the effort, you will see the reward.

And I don't subscribe to the empty stomach party either. That's crazy. How can you work your hardest and your best with no fuel? I don't exercise right after I eat. I wouldn't feel well from that either, but I don't go on a completely empty stomach. You're not going to be able to put as much effort in because you're body isn't going to have immediate fuel to use.

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Anytime that works for you.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I workout during the day, sometime between after breakfast and before dinner. I've never been able to exercise on an empty stomach. I'm still losing weight, so it works for me. :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    whenever you have time. I lost the most weight years ago, when i broke up my workouts into 10 to 20 minutes 3 times a day. Just calisthenics too. I work up did it, when i watched tv i did it, and then before bed i did a few more things.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    When you have the time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whatever time you like its more importnat to get in there and do it rather than worry about time. I'd agree with dobsm about having some food beforehand to give you the energy, but its down to the individual imo.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whenever it works out for you. It sounds like you are a beginner exerciser. You'll likely find that what time of day works best for you and whether or not you can finish a workout on an empty stomach will vary and change over time. When I first started I was fine running on an empty stomach. Once I got up to a certain mileage/time, I needed a small snack beforehand. Right now I am fine lifting weights on an empty stomach first thing in the morning but only if I've eaten well the day before (i.e., not a low calorie day.)

Bottom line: experiment and figure out what's best and ignore your SIL and friend.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Whatever time you will actually do it.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Simply, exercise and burn off more than you consume.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It depends on the exercise. Sometimes things interrupt my sleep and there is only one thing I like to interrupt it.
  • kristinalupp
    kristinalupp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sister in law and I are trying to lose weight - we have been exercising for a good 4 months 5-6 days a week and are currently doing INSANITY and are on week 6 of INSANITY. We work out together. I used to work out at midnight when all kids were asleep but she works evenings now - it is easier for me to have breakfast, feed all kids, start the day, then do it, but she keeps telling me that if we work out shortly before we have lunch, there is no point in working out...she says body will burn what we had for breakfast instead our fat.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I exercise on an empty stomach only because I get those annoying rib cramps VERY EASILY if I've had food in the last 2-3 hours. There are certain advantages to different parts of the day (I have changed my routine a few times depending on my various class schedules):
    -Working out in the morning tends to "snap" me awake. I definitely do not drag after forcing myself to pedal my brains out on a bike first thing in the morning.
    -Working out in the evening gives me a better feeling while working out because I've been moving all day and am already warmed up and stretched out. I do warm ups/stretches if I'm working out in the morning, but still feel like I'm more loose in the evenings.

Seriously, I think it's just whatever works for you and your schedule. Try each for a few weeks and see which one you like! Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise when it is cool outside. When it is hot, your body puts a lot of effort into reducing core temperature, so you muscles end up slowing down.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    When it works best for you. I like going at 5 in the morning, prior to eating, because this is when I feel best doing it.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The best thing is that you are working out. Whenever it fits into your schedule is the best time.
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that there is scientific proof that says that exercising at X time of day is more impactful [in fact, I know there is because I just read an article in Fitness RX about that], but the bottom line is, you have to do what works for your schedule. I like to be at the gym at 5am. That works for me and my schedule and keeps me motivated. if I try to go to the gym afterwork, I just feel sluggish and unmotivated and don't feel as if I get the same out of the workouts.

Do you. Just be consistent about it.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    whenever I actually do it

I do prefer not to do too much activity on an full tummy for comfort reasons alone.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Right after you think "right, let's do this"