If you have an ELEMENTARY aged child... School talk?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
If you'd be so kind as to tell me, on average, how much homework and what age is your child?

We have a big meeting at our son's school tonight regarding his class. He is eight, 3rd grade, and on average has 1-2 hours of homework per night, plus a minimum of 20 minutes reading per night (that he has to write a summary about and have signed off on by a parent). The homework is generally a bunch of worksheets; always math, then science, "communities," reading comprehension, etc mixed in. Never computer work, art, music, etc...

Being that he's my only child, I have nothing to compare. Is this similar to your child's experience? I would love any input!!! Especially if you're in education...

Replies

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The common core is killing the kids, parents and teachers.
    While I do agree every teacher needs to sign homework nightly, it should not be so taxing.
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My child is 7 in 2nd grade. He has 1 two sided page of math homework and 20 minutes reading every night.

ETA: We're in the suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesota, not sure if regions vary significantly.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    We're supposed to keep track of our kids homework?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    2nd and first graders in my house. They each get a math packet for the entire week. 4 or 5 pages. They probably only spend 20-30min a night on it (if that, but math is the strong subject for both of them, they struggle at reading). Then reading each night for 20 minutes, plus the 2nd grader has to write a sentence on what she read. So probably 40min a night at the most, less some days.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have one in Kindergarten and one in first grade. They have 10 minutes of reading plus 20 minutes of being read to (We combine them, so they each read to the other for 10 minutes and I read to both of them for 10 minutes). They usually each have sight word study sheets, one has spelling, the other has letter sounds, some sort of math/counting, they both have a timed reading/letter sound sheet each night. Homework takes us about an hour and I combine as much as I can to do it quicker.

Since we don't get home until 6 and dinner isn't done until 6:30, we tend to finish homework at 8. After that is bed time. It's sort of rough on us some days.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    My son is 6 and in 1st grade. He gets weekly spelling words to practice, 1-2 worksheets per night (30-45 mins), plus is supposed to read 20 minutes per day. It might not seem like a lot but for a family with 2 working parents, I feel like it's excessive for a 6 year old.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    1st grader - 1 math worksheet per night, 1 spelling word packet per week.

4th grader - 1 math packet per week, 20-30 minute rading per day, project based stuff when applicable.

7th grader - roughly 1 hr per night, more if project based, less if work is done during study hall.

14th grader - no idea, she is off at college.
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    In my experience it has depended on the teacher. I have kids in 6th, 4th and K, and teach the after school program at their (private) school, and have for 7 years.

The 3rd and 5th grade teachers at our school gives TONS of homework. A big part of my position is making sure all of the kids in our program get their homework done, working with the 3rd graders is not much fun AT ALL.

Also, some of the homework that our kids bring to "After Care" is worksheets that they could have/should have, finished in class, making more homework.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    My child in grade one is supposed to read 10 minutes a night and has a homework book from which he selects 3 items to complete and those are due once a week. So really 10 minutes a night I guess.
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a first grader and a second grader. They have weekly spelling lists, otherwise there is no homework. On Fridays they bring home a reading packet for the weekend which is one book with a journal for them to write as they choose about the book.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have a 2nd grader and he's 7. He only has 20 minutes of reading every night and to study his sight words and spelling words. It probably takes about an hour to get it all in. I'm in East Texas. I don't think it's too terribly bad. He just hates to do it lol

• fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I used to teach elementary school.....my opinion is that much homework at that age is too much....there is nothing wrong with a little bit so that children develop good study skills, working independently etc...because you know down the road that the workload is going to increase.....nightly reading is important to reinforce comprehension and build vocabulary....unfortunately it seems that the only homework given is in the core subjects, especially math and language arts....but at the elementary level these skills are so important to grasp because each year builds on the skills learned from the previous year....when I was teaching....the only homework I gave at that age, was to reinforce what was done that day in class....and also a way of showing the parents what we were working on....that way, the parents were involved and any issues or concerns that came up could be addressed early on....at age eight, I would try not to assign any more than half an hour of homework and 15 minutes or so of reading....
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a 8yo - 2nd grade - we have 60 minutes of reading and 30 minutes of math practice a week. Usually get about 1 worksheet through the week to complete and spelling words with a test on Fridays.

My kindergartner (5) doesn't get homework yet but will get spelling later in the year. We do work with her on recognizing letters/sounds, sight words and numbers.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    that sounds excessive. My oldest is in the 6th grade and has one sheet of homework on average per night plus his reading. He also has a study hall period too where using his time wisely can complete most and not have to do it at home. When he was in 3rd grade he would usually have a worksheet plus 10 - 20 min of reading per night. Granted sometimes if they do not finish their work in class it too becomes homework.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I've heard 20 minutes per night per grade level as a guideline. I have a 9th grader in a highly rated school in the suburbs of Boston who has 3-4 hours per night routinely.
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My kids both get a packet a week. About 4 pages? Typically they take about an hour to complete. That and 20 minutes a night reading.

But I think it does vary because I have heard others complain it is too much. I think for anybody in grade school anything more than 30 minutes is excessive. Unless it's "extra credit"
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade. She has 2 math sheets every night, but she's fast and they only take her about 10 minutes. She has supplemental math that is optional which can take up to 20 minutes. Then she has to write 12 sentences each night using her spelling words, and read for 15 minutes. I'd say it usually takes about an hour total. If she has a test coming up, we'll spend an additional 15-20 minutes studying if needed.

I think this is a reasonable amount. I've heard that 3rd grade is a big transition year where the amount of work and difficulty increases significantly from earlier grades.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Mine gets several worksheets (usually math) on Monday that are due by Friday. We usually take an hour or two one night a week (I think it's designed to be done one at a time, but whatever, I knock that junk out) and get it done. She also has reading assignments, but I'm never involved in that, because she can read to herself (5th grade).

Our kids school doesn't give homework over the weekends (I think they finally figured out the whole kids go to dad's house on the weekend thing) and light on the work for weekdays (which I am so thankful for, I work a full time job and am a single parent, it's a miracle if I cook, clean, give everyone a bath, and eat dinner at the table.)

Odus that seems like way too much. You'd literally have to sacrifice food or work to get it done, not worth it.

I know each child has different mileage (some learn faster than others) but it doesn't seem to me that multiple hours nightly should be required.
  • KelARita7
    KelARita7 Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I have a kindergartner...he only gets a worksheet to do every couple weeks and it takes maybe 15-20 mins to do, interactive. And weekly things to send in...share item for whatever is the theme that day and occasionally something else like wear a certain color.

My daughter is in 5th grade and she almost never has homework. Well she has it but they give her time in school to complete it. We just had parent teacher conferences and the teacher said she is probably the one person who uses that time the best. *proud mom moment! We have encouraged her to take advantage of time given at school so she always has teacher to help if needed.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in Ireland..for an eight year old here the general rule would be 20 mins written homework plus reading/spellings/tables on top of that. However, I am currently tutoring a child outside of school and the homework she is given, for an average child should take 20 mins, but takes us over an hour to complete together.

What might seem achieveable for the teacher, can, for some children and parents, prove much more of a struggle. But 2 hours for an 8 year old? Way too much in my opinion.