Odd question about the 30 Day Shred

Options
I wasn't sure how to log the 30 Day Shred as a workout on myfitnesspal, and after reading the forums, most people said to log it as circuit training... but 200 doesnt seem like an accurate number of calories burned, especially since you continue to burn throughout the day from the workout...Also, lots of people were saying that it is better to put it as circuit training because if anything it would underestimate calories burned instead of overestimating... but isnt underestimating the amount of calories burned not a good thing? what if you are burning more and it is bringing you below your BMR?
Thanks in advance!
Also, if you are currently doing the 30 day shred (or have in the past) PLEASE ADD ME! I love having friends who have the same goals and patterns!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've used my Polar HRM to calculate calories burned for the 30 Day Shred and "circuit training, general" is very comparable to the burns I get. You can't really count afterburn accurately anyway so just don't worry about it and think of it as a bonus. And yes, while you don't want to underestimate exercise calories and undereat too much - in this particular case, the difference isn't going to cause you any major health issues (within 100 cals).

If you feel like you're not getting enough calories, you may want to reconsider your base goals instead (like trying to lose 1 pound per week vs 1.5 or 2 pounds, making sure your activity level is accurate, etc).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Well,

The calories you continue to burn throughout the day are likely exaggerated. Shred is cardio with some strength training thrown in. Cardio doesn't burn calories throughout the day like strength training does.

As far as below your BMR.....this depends. Very overweight people don't have to worry much about lean muscle loss. As you get closer to goal you will have less reserves.