Remaining calories

Options
Can somone please explain to me what is the remaining cAlories after tracking your food for the day means? Two days in a row I'm like way under is that good or bad? I'm new to this app thanks..

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you the number of calories you should eat to reach you goal. If you are way under, then you may not be eating enough to stay healthy.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    MFP determines your daily net caloric needs using NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis). That daily goal includes the deficit needed to meet your projected weekly weight loss goals. If you are "way under" it means you are missing your net calorie goals and possibly undereating and failing to provide your body with key nutrients needed for a healthy weight loss program. It is impossible to honestly assess with a closed diary, but if your logging matches the tone of your post, you probably need to up the net intake.
  • monarchysix9
    monarchysix9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok does that mean weight will drop quicker if your way under? For example last night it said I had 2,255 calories left? That's what I don't get im eating pretty clean and working out should I try to hit all the calories its setting for me? Or is it good to be under?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Let's take a giant step back. What is your current height and weight? How much do you have MFP set to lose per week? How many calories are you eating total per day? What is your net intake?

2255 calories under your MFP set daily target is a huge amount ... potentially unhealthy. If you could please answer the questions and open your diary, it would help give informed answers.
  • monarchysix9
    Options
    Ok my diary is public now. I'm 5ft 7 218 lbs. I set it to loose 1 pound per week and it's giving me 2,910 for the goal?i ate about 1,170 it's only giving me credit for 510 calories burned this is all kinda confusing
  • monarchysix9
    Options
    The tone of my post?what is that supposed to mean?
  • Dawnb2014
    Dawnb2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    curious, you say don't log exercise calories....how come? I was going to ask if I should add in calories burned from weight training as it doesn't seem like the program takes those calories into account.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok my diary is public now. I'm 5ft 7 218 lbs. I set it to loose 1 pound per week and it's giving me 2,910 for the goal?i ate about 1,170 it's only giving me credit for 510 calories burned this is all kinda confusing

Your calorie goal is 2,910 after factoring in exercise. I'm assuming your daily goal is 2,400 per day before exercise. You need to eat more when you exercise to net a healthy amount of calories per day.

1,170 is far too low. Your 1lb a week deficit is built in to your 2,400 calorie goal already, so there is no need to eat under it. The reason it is giving you even more is because you have netted 660 calories today (1,170 - 510). You need to be netting far more!

Edit: Also, as a male, 1,170 is far too low for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, it says for a male your age, you're not eating enough.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

What do you have set as your "activity level"? And how did you arrive at your decision to set it at that setting?

2900 per day sounds way too high to me.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    you are not eating enough...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates what you need to lose weight based on how many pounds you said you want to lose, and based on your calculated needs NOT including exercise. When you exercise and log it, it adds more calories for you to eat for fuel. If you said you want to lose 1 pound per week, it is subtracting 500 calories per day from your needs. If you said you want to lose 2 pounds per week, it is subtracting 1,000 calories per day. So this deficit by itself is enough to lose weight without exercising.

Eating only 1170 is WAY under goal. 1,200 is a minimum amount for women, not nearly enough for a young man who exercises. You can't possibly get enough nutrition.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should set it to 2 pounds a week. No need trying to force yourself to eat 1000 calories more than you seem to be averaging. If that's not working off for you then you could ease off. 2900 just seems like a lot for someone at your height trying to get a healthy BMI (if that's what you are trying to do). You should reasonably do above 1600, but every one is different.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    You are eating too little for a short, inactive woman at the lower end of a healthy BMI ... never mind what a 5'7, 218lb male needs. Your logging shows a net of around 700 calories per day ... missing every macronutrient goal.
    The tone of my post?what is that supposed to mean?

It means you have an app telling you that you're undereating, and you keep asking is it good .. will you lose faster ... etc. You will lose a lot of weight that way ... from muscle, fat, bone ... all while risking permanent damage ...

• missiontofitness
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Maybe you should set it to 2 pounds a week. No need trying to force yourself to eat 1000 calories more than you seem to be averaging. If that's not working off for you then you could ease off. 2900 just seems like a lot for someone at your height trying to get a healthy BMI (if that's what you are trying to do). You should reasonably do above 1600, but every one is different.

This is a male. Not a female. There is no need for him to do 2lbs a week when his goal isn't 75lbs or more. That goal will be far too aggressive if he is severely undereating as it is.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    I understand he is a male and Im a few inches taller and started a few pounds lighter. I'm just sharing my experience.2lbs a week is nothing for him based on what he is currently averaging. If he is severely under eating as it is, then 2lbs a week is actually higher than what he is doing.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I understand he is a male and Im a few inches taller and started a few pounds lighter. I'm just sharing my experience.2lbs a week is nothing for him based on what he is currently averaging. If he is severely under eating as it is, then 2lbs a week is actually higher than what he is doing.

This floats around frequently:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

He should be doing 1.5lbs at most per week. 1lb per week is more reasonable and sustainable, and he's already done that. He's just not eating up to that amount.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

The OP is netting 704.5 calories per day. His weekly loss goal isn't the big issue ... the intake is.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Understand that the intake is. This is all about variables. 2lbs a week is still more, so why set a goal of 1lb when it seems like he is naturally doing 4lbs a week? I agree is needs to eat more, does he need to force himself to eat 2xxx? Maybe not