reluctant to try Quest bars ... or any protein bar

2»

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    Wow they just look like junk food to me. I would not eat them on a regular basis. They are highly processed. And sometimes its the processes involved that are the problem, e.g. with vegetable oils.

if you want more protein, eat protein foods. A can of king oscar sardines is fantastic food. And nowhere near anything like $5 a can. The calories are modest too.

Whereas the quest bar is only 20grams of food for 160 calories. That makes it a calorie dense food. You are better off eating 20grams of nuts.

There are way more nutrients packed into a 160 calorie quest bar, then 160 calories of any nut.
    Pretty sure a 60g quest bar contains 60g of food.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Wow they just look like junk food to me. I would not eat them on a regular basis. They are highly processed. And sometimes its the processes involved that are the problem, e.g. with vegetable oils.

if you want more protein, eat protein foods. A can of king oscar sardines is fantastic food. And nowhere near anything like $5 a can. The calories are modest too.

Whereas the quest bar is only 20grams of food for 160 calories. That makes it a calorie dense food. You are better off eating 20grams of nuts.

Did you even check the ingredients before talking? I mean, yeah, some 'protein bars' have a lot of added junk, Quest bars are pretty clean though (and they are 60g, by the way).

Ingredients for the chocolate cookie dough flavor :

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides (Prebiotic Fiber), Almonds, Water, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Erythritol. Contains Less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Stevia, Natural Flavorings, Sucralose.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited November 2014
    I eat them because sometimes I want a sweet source of protein and Quest bars are a lower carb/sugar way for me to accomplish this. To me they taste like candy bars. so if I can have candy and protein at the SAME TIME, I consume fewer calories overall than if I ate a chicken breast and then ate a snicker's bar. Also Quest bars are a lot more convenient to carry in my purse than a chicken breast or a can of stinky sardines.

And as for this:

Quest bars are 160-200 calories for 20ish grams of PROTEIN. not 20 grams of food... I definitely agree that getting your calories from unprocessed foods is best... but if you are going to eat protein bars, QUEST is the least-junky way to go. Not all of us are a virtuous in our eating as you patttience.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    I've done Quest bars before and I love them. I don't do them every day but when I know I'm going to be away from home and I'm not trying to spend money on an unhealthy meal (or packing lunch is not an option). I need something to hold me off until I can get home to eat. Only downside is that I generally need to brush and floss two seconds after eating the lemon ones. Leaves a nasty after taste that I am sure translates into bad breath.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    ^the lemon ones taste like Pledge. They're the only flavor I don't like.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    lol True ....but I'm a glutton for punishment and they were having a sale.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    stef0006 wrote: »
    . Although the weight gain was probably attributable to me having moved out for the first time, being subject to cafeteria food OFTEN (although I tried to pick healthy choices), and all the stress university brought, I am still reluctant to get back into protein bars.

Were you logging and weighing your food and exercise at the time? If not then how do you know what caused the weight gain you could have simply been eating more than you thought and it might have had very little to do with the protein bars.

If you log your food, then you cna track and get more information on what you are consuming and burning. This will help you get reassurance about the protein bars. They are just calories imo.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I generally eat about six times a day and half of a Quest bar is the perfect 95 calorie snack. I don't eat them every day because I also have a protein shake almost every day, but on the days I have trouble meeting my protein goal they both come in pretty handy. I love the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor, but not enough to over eat them.... ;)
  • ophiure
    ophiure Posts: 18 Member
    I really like Quest Bars, but they're too expensive for me. A lot of protein bars are like that, but they're really convenient too, because they're individually packaged and ready to go. Instead, I make my own using a protein powder, oat flour, peanut butter, almond milk, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    amblight wrote: »
    What are you all paying for quest bars? I see them on sale here for $5, and that's just waaay too much for me to even consider!!

$2 dolla, they make holla.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    luluinca wrote: »
    I generally eat about six times a day and half of a Quest bar is the perfect 95 calorie snack. I don't eat them every day because I also have a protein shake almost every day, but on the days I have trouble meeting my protein goal they both come in pretty handy. I love the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor, but not enough to over eat them.... ;)

Yeah ditto. I'll never binge on Quest bars, which is a good thing, lol.

• KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Chocolate chip cookie dough for Quest is the best flavor they have, IMO
  • I like the low-glycemic quality they have, and for me are a "better" alternative than some of the other bars out there. They taste pretty decent but they are expensive.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Last time I bought chocolate chip cookie dough I CRAVED them like constantly. I had two different cases and I ate the cookie dough one every day until it was gone, completely ignored the other! I loved white choc raspberry but I had to stop buying them because the seeds got stuck in my teeth.
  • One of my MFP friends turned me on to Quest bars, and although they're quite expensive, they're delicious and perfectly suited for my diet & exercise plan. Cookies and cream flavour are my favourite. :smile: :cookie:
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    I just got 4 of the Quest Natural bars yesterday. I had the Strawberry Cheesecake one yesterday, and plan on eating the PB Chocolate one today. I'll be honest, it's got less calories, less carbs, more protein, and more fiber than eating a cup of kidney beans ... and it tastes so much better. It helped kill my sweet tooth yesterday so I wasn't all sad that I was out of Fiber One brownies. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    I found some at a local Woodmans and picked up a Strawberry Cheesecake and a Lemon flavored bar. Haven't tried the lemon yet but the Strawberry was quite good. I don't remember the exact price, but I know it was over $2.50 a bar, which I consider too much so this will be an "every once in awhile" snack.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    I eat them because sometimes I want a sweet source of protein and Quest bars are a lower carb/sugar way for me to accomplish this. To me they taste like candy bars. so if I can have candy and protein at the SAME TIME, I consume fewer calories overall than if I ate a chicken breast and then ate a snicker's bar. Also Quest bars are a lot more convenient to carry in my purse than a chicken breast or a can of stinky sardines.

LOL this gave me a good chuckle imagining the chicken breast or stinky can of sardines in the purse!

The Quest Raspberry White Chocolate is my go to treat!!!
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Check out Amazon - they can get you down to around $2 per bar. Vitamin Shoppe and GNC also have sales now and again.