juicing and recording calories

Options
I have a juicer and frequently make fresh vegetable juice (kale, cucumber, carrot, mint, celery) and rarely but sometimes add an apple or a pear. how would you log this? Would you log all the fruits and vegetables that you use? FYI I *do* eat the pulp so all that good fiber is not going to waste. :-)

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    the data base has a lot of the homemade juice recipes with the cals already recorded.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, log each ingredient.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You are drinking and eating the entire thing, so log the entire thing. I love pomegranates but I don't eat the seeds, so I weigh it all and then log that, then when I'm done I weigh the seeds I've spit out and subtract that from my intake. So it may not totally be correct but MEH, I'm not eating everything I wrote down initially, I'd rather accidentally eat too much than eat too little lol. So if you were throwing out the pulp, you could do the same thing I do, but you eat it all... so log it all
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    the data base has a lot of the homemade juice recipes with the cals already recorded.

But you need to be careful, as the amount they used and their weights may not match up with what the OP is consuming.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you are eating the whole animal, there's no reason to think of it as juice. Apple juice is not an apple. Pear juice is not a pear. So long the whole item, weigh it first or measure in some manner.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Except the amount of each food (if they use the exact same foods) isn't going to be the same weight/amount as what the OP might be using. So using other's homemade recipes/cal counts for this is definitely not advisable to do.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    If you are eating the whole animal, there's no reason to think of it as juice. Apple juice is not an apple. Pear juice is not a pear. So long the whole item, weigh it first or measure in some manner.

Whole animal?!?

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

But you need to be careful, as the amount they used and their weights may not match up with what the OP is consuming.

Great point! thanks.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Patttience wrote: »

Whole animal?!?

obvious metaphor was obvious.
  • dblanke01
    dblanke01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just err on the safe side and log the whole vegetable. My reasoning is, the only part that doesn't get juiced is mostly comprised of insoluble fiber, which I understand the body does not absorb. So, I'm ingesting the caloric part of the vegetable. Also, better to be safe, yes?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    dblanke01 wrote: »
    I think I'll just err on the safe side and log the whole vegetable. My reasoning is, the only part that doesn't get juiced is mostly comprised of insoluble fiber, which I understand the body does not absorb. So, I'm ingesting the caloric part of the vegetable. Also, better to be safe, yes?

You said you are eating the pulp. So... why would you question whether to log the whole vegetable when you are consuming the whole vegetable?