Chip Addiction!

Options

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    briar_rose wrote: »
    I'm a chip addict and am currently seeing a nutritionist. I have come to the conclusion that I can never have them again because even if I have a few it leads me to binge majorly and gain all the weight back that I lost. Eating them in moderation does not work for me. My nutritionist compared it to a person who has a drug or alcohol problem - would they need to stay away from the thing that makes them an addict?? of course!! It makes me sad because chips give me lots of pleasure but at the same time they single-handedly keep me overweight and unhealthy. I'm doing a lot of work on my salt cravings and it seems to be working!!

That's pretty awesome! I crave salty things too. I don't buy chips anymore because if I did they wouldn't last a day.
    It makes me sad because chips give me lots of pleasure but at the same time they single-handedly keep me overweight and unhealthy
    This this this. This is how I feel about drinking :(
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There are various strategies you can use.

1. Get the right mindset and make the commitment properly about why you want to lose weight and your commitment to reaching target. Mindset is very importnat because that helps you make the choice between taking steps towards or further away from target. Its your choice.

2. What kathyrain said about tracking. It works because if you are serious it becomes your objective to hit target and you spend calories wisely.

3. MFP is all about change of lifestyle, which means you dont have to deny yourself anything but you should learn portion control, with the aim of eating less than you burn until you reach target. Hence peoples suggestion of smaller bags. Fit a bag a day in as part of your diet. Possibly have it at your most vulnerable time to take away the craving. I have my kind of reward foods at the ned of the day.

4. If that doesnt work consider just not buying them and having them in the house.

5. Consider what it is about the snacks you like is it the crunch or the strong flavour? I like pickles as an alternative quick snack, few calories and strong flavour. I also get the crunch from crisp and ryebreads. Find acceptable alternatives and wean yourself off. I also try and avoid being hungry as chips are a grazing food, that really dont satisfy hunger, but are convenient. No hunger then it means less likely to graze.

6. Pick the less calorie dense form of chips that are baked instead of fried. You get more chip for your calories i.e 85 calories per 25g bag ccompared to 150 cal.

7. If they are that important then do exercise for them. It will take you 15-30mins to earn 1 small bag of chips doing cardio.

8. You can stop if you want to, but getting hooked into the idea of denial, banning foods completely and having ideas about eating clean means you are going into a diet you will not be able to sustain imo. Start with babysteps and just loging plus learning how to use MFP properly. Plan your mindset, deficit, diet and exercise, then implement it slowly to give you time to adjust. If you go too hard then you will burn out and either quit, get stressed or binge.

I like crisps/chips and follow all the above. For goodness sake when you eat them, then enjoy. They are fine in moderation or if you are prepared to exercise for them.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Most days I can control myself around chips, but certain days when I'm ravenous or have PMS, I cannot. So I don't keep them in my house--not even portion controlled bags. The only time I crave them is in the evening, but I've never craved them badly enough to go out and buy them. (It helps that by then, I've taken my sleeping meds, and it wouldn't be safe to drive!)

Occasionally, maybe once a month or so, I get a meal from Subway, and I get a small bag of chips with it. I can practice moderation with almost anything--but not chips. I will add that I try to go grocery shopping after eating, and that keeps me from loading my cart with chips and cupcakes. :smiley:
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have not touched chips since I started on MFP. I honestly cannot buy them without eating them all. If I didn't finish a bag I used to eat them for Breakfast the next morning! Even the portion control bags don't do it for me, it's just too tempting. I think I might get some at some point when I really want to treat myself? But the thought of logging like 1000 calories of chips is enough to keep me away from them. I don't go down that isle in the grocery store. Crispy mini's are an OK replacement, but again I will still eat a whole bag of them (at least it's only like 400 cals!).
  • TheVoidOfHeloyse
    Options
    Hi! A big part of the reason I made an account was my chip problem. I'm a vegan and a very finicky eater so I'm extremely healthy otherwise, but I've got this one guilty pleasure for potato chips and I've got to cut it out and make smarter choices! The biggest factor is just not allowing myself to cave and buy them, which is easier said than done, but much more simple to just not give yourself the option than to have them available and try not to eat them. My friends tease me because since my car's been broken I've been unable to get to the grocery store, and so I was feeding myself from the gas station on nothing but salt n vinegar chips, cashews, and clif bars! Horrid since I'm trying to find a healthy balance and tone my muscles hah. I went to Whole Foods recently a few times with friends and stocked up on delicious healthy options, but still found myself with a bag of chips the other day! Although, that's been the only one I've bought since I've had other options, so I'll just chalk it up to bad habit I suppose. If you can find some salty, crunchy snack to replace chips I believe that would be a good place to start. Glad I'm not alone I was feeling very silly! Best of luck cutting back :)
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Chips for me, not so much. Cheez-Its, however, are a little more of a problem. My solution is the small bag trick. Okay, being deployed helps when it's more difficult to get them. LOL
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same. In my experience, it's all good and well saying "portion control is key", but in practise it isn't all that easy. My new year's resolution this year was to stop eating them. I now haven't touched one since the 30th december 2013. I know that had my resolution been to "cut back" the amount I ate, I would never have succeeded. Sometimes there are foods I just can't exercise portion control over and for me personally it was far easier to cut them out altogether.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I crave them sometimes. I just get a small bag if I spurlge on something.
    btw kale chips and apple chips are awesome .
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think you need to remind yourself what are you losing by not eating the chips? Have some self control, sometimes that self control begins and ends in the grocery store. If you can't not buy the product that's your first problem. I love chips and it was definitely different for me to have a serving size but now I dole out my 24 bite sized tostitos and grab my salsa and go on my merry way. It's not so bad on the "other side" of the potato chip.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Chips and a soda at work was one of my biggest downfalls!! I would raid the vending machine. Now I just make sure not to bring cash to work. I will have chips every now and then but not like I used to because they are so high in calories. :(
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So who is buying these chips? If they are not in the house, you can't eat them.
  • kat77023
    Options
    Until you are ready to give up chips completely, at least buy those that contain only "potatoes, oil, and sea salt" -- w/o all the other chemical ingredients. There are also some new Bean Chips on the market. (I like the black bean chips best.) They taste good, have a good mouth feel, and are just as crunchy as potato chips. Plantain chips are also a tasty substitute, though expensive in little bags. Good luck on your journey!!
  • Leezaa
    Leezaa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just started to have a losing weight program last thursday.. and I ate chips for my lunch yesterday.. with fish fillets.. today I ate chips with macaroni shaped, and it's just so delicious.. oh my gosh.. how to stop this..??? :s
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    kat77023 wrote: »
    Until you are ready to give up chips completely, at least buy those that contain only "potatoes, oil, and sea salt" -- w/o all the other chemical ingredients. There are also some new Bean Chips on the market. (I like the black bean chips best.) They taste good, have a good mouth feel, and are just as crunchy as potato chips. Plantain chips are also a tasty substitute, though expensive in little bags. Good luck on your journey!!

Woah, those bean and plantain chips are chock full of chemicals. I'd be careful about consuming them if you're worried about chemicals

• CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    OMG! I can eat 10 bags for Kettle Honey Dijon & Sea Salt Vinegar each day... :s
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stop buying chips since you have no self-control.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know that if I had bread or sweets in the house, I'd eat them constantly. My suggestion is not bringing them into the house. If you have a craving for some, buy a single serving bag. Even if it costs more, it'll prevent you from binging on them.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you like replacing foods and just want something crunchy there are lower calorie options like: raw vegetables, roasted seaweed, baked chips. The smaller bags sound like they may work well for you. I don't eliminate foods entirely but I have cut back on some.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, some of you might think this is funny. But I cant stop eating chips. The longest I've gone without eating chips was 2 weeks (about 3 months) and I "relapsed" and gained over 20+lbs. I don't even crave them, but I I cant stop. I eat like 2-3 bags a day. I've tried to stop eating them and every time I feel like I cant control it. The time that I stopped for 2 weeks, I was sleeping a lot, because if I'm awake I cant hep myself. I told myself that I was going to start eating clean today so yesterday I binged...I ate the big bag of Hot Cheetos, the new Chester's Puff (Pizza Flavor), nachos.

Did any of you know what I'm talking about? A certain food that you just cant stop eating.
    How can I control this, I tried substituting other crunchy snacks, but it doesn't work.

This is my first post, PLEASE DONT BE MEAN.

What’s the best way to stop the cycle of addiction? First, don’t get started. Example, shop mindfully.If it’s difficult to resist unhealthy chips, don’t stock your pantry with them. Find healthy snacks.(fruit, veggies, nuts). Foods that are lean protein, healthy omega-3 fats, and fiber rich are good intervention to help you break the cycle of addiction.