What grinds your "gears" at the gym?

Options
Warchortle
Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
When I first started at the gym I felt people were staring at me judging me for being fat...

Nothing has changed, but I feel as though people (dooods) still stare because they want to make the gym a competition. No, I don't care how much you can lift.. no I don't care how big your bicep is... staring is not anabolic.

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    People that don't re-rack their weights bug me. We're not your Mom and nobody here wants to clean up after you. People that use the weight machines completely wrong and clank the plates together constantly. That kind of stuff breaks the equipment and ruins it for everyone. The guy that has 3-4 sets of different size weights all sitting around him and won't let you use them because he's using them. I could go on. I don't personally think looking is bad but staring is rude and creepy.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Dudes dropping weights and sounding like they're taking bestiality a bit far with the metal as they huff and puff and try to blow that machine down. Then starring at you flexing. Most awk.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Cups. Plastic drinking cups everywhere, despite there being sufficient trash cans. Lazy twats.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    People. Actually people in general not just at the gym....
  • ChrisHoffman72
    ChrisHoffman72 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Has to be people not reracking weights. Of course, that's how I usually get my warm up in
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    Improper form. I can't stand watching it, because all I see is an injury in the near future.

Cut off shirts that's like a 4" piece of cloth in the middle of your torso. Nobody wants to see your nipples.

People I see day in and day out that never do leg day.

Women who wear skimpy clothes and tons of makeup, and then complain when half the gym is looks at them. Attention *kitten*.

People that take more than 5 minutes in between sets. Or just go to the gym to socialize the entire time.

B.O. When I have to leave the free weight area because they can't wash themselves, it makes me want to smash their face into the weights.

Mirror flexing. Really?

Curls in the squat rack.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Warchortle wrote: »
    When I first started at the gym I felt people were staring at me judging me for being fat...

Nothing has changed, but I feel as though people (dooods) still stare because they want to make the gym a competition. No, I don't care how much you can lift.. no I don't care how big your bicep is... staring is not anabolic.

err you seem paranoid.

The not reracking is just antisocial, but it doesnt grind my gears. Dont see it often.

I get a bit bemused when people occupy machines as seats and jsut spend ages using their mobile phones.

I get a bit bemused when people dont have proper form and verge on dangerous.

BO

I cant get worked up enough to be angry. Only the latter really makes it unpleasant.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing girls turn up together all in fresh gym gear, sit on the yoga balls and chat while playing on their phones, not entirely sure if they did any exercise while they were there or just so they could check in on facebook for the likes...

That and people who have to slam the weights down on the machines to show everyone how strong they are.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Warchortle wrote: »

err you seem paranoid.

Yeah sorry OP but I agree. When I started at the gym I was 19st and not one person looked at me and that's still the case, everyone wants to get on with their own thing there and don't care about anyone else. You sound like you're taking your situation out on them.

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is folks that find a bench and they bring every weight and device they plan on using for an hour to that area for their personal use. Well, if you want that type of exclusive use buy a big house and build your dream home gym. These people are usual set straight by staff pretty quick but you do wonder what went through their mind in the first place.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    About the only thing that bugs me at the gym is when you go to the locker room and people go and take lockers right next to yours. You can see which lockers are taken by the locks on the door, and since there's about 6 walls of lockers you'd think someone would take a spot where there's not already a bunch taken, but yet they do and then they make comments about how crowded it is.
  • PixTheCupCakeDestroyer
    Options
    I hate being treated like a damsel in distress, I don't need help and if I did I'd ask. Chit chat annoys me, I'm there to lift heavy *kitten*, not socialize, and if the use of profanity offends you, wear headphones so you don't have to hear me.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    People not wiping things down bugs the crud outta me. Oh and hairballs in the shower. I don't shower there unless I absolutely have to but god forbid there be just one time I can do so without nearly yakking at the sight of a mini fro near the drain.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in a gym for a long time, but slamming weights on the machines or anything that unnecessarily makes a lot of noise. Oh and not wiping sweat off equipment.

I do think people are watching/judging me sometimes, but that is my own issue and exists outside the gym, too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when I see people doing pointless/high rep things with 5 lb weights. But then I feel bad because I'm being judgy and try to think something nice about that person instead.