Am I working out too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You really should see a dietician. They're worth every penny. But here's a little primer on healthy eating:

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

Fiber is very filling and helps to keep you regular. If you don't get a lot now, increase it slowly so you don't bloat and fart a lot. But don't forget our friend, Fiber. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    OP, you mentioned bingeing. Do you have a history of treated or untreated eating disorder?
  • trenzalours
    trenzalours Posts: 60
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    OP, you mentioned bingeing. Do you have a history of treated or untreated eating disorder?

About 10 years ago when I was 13, I was bulimic but overcame it through the support of my family. I haven't had a relapse with it for almost 6 years now but I still get the fear I'm going to binge even though I haven't purged in 6 years(and have no thoughts of doing so either).
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Fiber is very filling and helps to keep you regular. If you don't get a lot now, increase it slowly so you don't bloat and fart a lot. But don't forget our friend, Fiber. :)

I'm gonna start my morning off tomorrow with a bowl of All Bran! I have been neglecting my friendly fiber <3
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

About 10 years ago when I was 13, I was bulimic but overcame it through the support of my family. I haven't had a relapse with it for almost 6 years now but I still get the fear I'm going to binge even though I haven't purged in 6 years(and have no thoughts of doing so either).
    Kalikel wrote: »

I'm gonna start my morning off tomorrow with a bowl of All Bran! I have been neglecting my friendly fiber <3

I would strongly suggest that you follow a more reasonable dietary program. If you have a history, it wouldn't be unheard of for extremism to cause a relapse.

Might want to talk to a registered dietitian, eh?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're eating under 1200 PLUS you're exercising?? Or you're eating 1200 after including exercise calories?

I'm eating under 1200 and exercising. I'm just having trouble getting that extra 200 cals to push me into that healthy calorie threshold, my limit is set to 1890 cals though. Like today I finished my food at 1022 calories with 921 in exercise.

Okay, first thing is you need to eat more. The person who wins, is the person that eats the most and still loses. The person that learns moderation and sustainability, well thats the person that gets to keep this. The one who "crash" diets-they learn nothing and are the ones that usually put it back on and then some. Can you open your diary?

:heart:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If you're really burning that many calories, then you definitely need to eat more. How are you working out the calorie burn? I'd have to do spinning for example for over 2 hours to burn 900 calories, and that would be doing it hardcore.

There's also nothing wrong with having a rest day from exercise so your body can recover. If you have a rest day, you can push yourself more the next day.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ok I weigh less than you im 140lbs and I lose weight on 1660 calories I don't exercise anywhere near what you do and ive lost 35lbs. Ive been doing this 7 months and haven't gained back its a healthy regime that's achievable all year round and part of my daily life. You need to find something sustainable and eat more, I had ED as a young teenager suffered anemia I would collapse a lot and feel dizzy and the headaches I would suggest seeing a doctor or nutritionist to help guide you if you don't see how unhealthy you are. Im not being mean or nasty I would just hate for you to be poorly and undo the good you want to achieve.
  • trenzalours
    Options
    If you're really burning that many calories, then you definitely need to eat more. How are you working out the calorie burn? I'd have to do spinning for example for over 2 hours to burn 900 calories, and that would be doing it hardcore.

I've been doing Zumba by watching videos and routines on youtube and I'll try to do about 45 minutes of it and I do my morning and night Hatha Yoga. I also walk and bike my neighborhood which is about 2 miles(unless I can't do these I'll do one of my Zumba Routine's).

But if the burn calculator is estimating to much or too little than I could understand why it could be a bit wonky. When I'm eating though I always just watch my food intake because I know the added calories from the exercising could be wrong. I still want to log it though to generally keep some form of track.

ok I weigh less than you im 140lbs and I lose weight on 1660 calories I don't exercise anywhere near what you do and ive lost 35lbs. Ive been doing this 7 months and haven't gained back its a healthy regime that's achievable all year round and part of my daily life. You need to find something sustainable and eat more, I had ED as a young teenager suffered anemia I would collapse a lot and feel dizzy and the headaches I would suggest seeing a doctor or nutritionist to help guide you if you don't see how unhealthy you are. Im not being mean or nasty I would just hate for you to be poorly and undo the good you want to achieve.

I have seen a doctor and he believes that me eating at least 1600 calories would be best. My goal hasn't been "Oh well if I eat less I'll lose weight etc". It's just after all that I do I feel full from the food's I've eaten. After reading everything here I can see why this way isn't going to work and I'm starting to feel okay adding that extra bit of food to push me in the direction.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you have an ana/mia history, you have to be very careful not to slip back into old habits and should consider seeing a therapist who specializes in EDs while you lose. Be on the safe side there!

It's too easy to relapse. For many people, the love for the empty feeling never goes away. They get sucked back into starving so fast when they start losing weight. Don't let that happen to you. Stay safe! :)
  • trenzalours
    Options
    Thank you guys! I plan on revamping this whole thing and taking it in a more healthy direction. Much love for everyone and I hope you have a good day! :)
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can't go by what MFP says for Calorie burn. Get yourself a heart rate monitor if you can (with a chest strap) so you can get a more accurate reading of calories burned. You are likely not burning the calories you think you are. I started my weight loss journey almost 3 years ago, I've lost 68lbs so far and have another 15-20lbs to go until I'm a comfortable weight for me.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am sitting at about 306 right now, eating my 2290 from MFP plus some exercise calories several days a week, burning 800-1000+ calories per day (walking/hiking approx 40- 50 miles per week) and losing around 2.5- 3 lbs a week.

Make your diet livable! Let's be honest- you didn't have a hard time getting in the calories before. That's not judging you, know that I started out at 335. I ate everything then, plus some. Add some cheese and peanut butter. Butter, too. Eat regular fat yogurt. Stuff like that. You have the calories. Use them.

I have done what you are doing now. Several times, I lived on 1200- 1600 calories for a few months and exercised like crazy, too. Yes I lost a lot of weight but it just wasn't sustainable. If you are going to be eating in the 1600 range, make sure you are eating back a bunch of those exercise calories, too. This isn't a race. It's hard to be patient when you want the weight off now. Can you get in to see a nutritionist? It might help to meet with one to make sure you are doing this in a reasonable, sustainable way.