I'm there, but I can't go further! I want to finally get toned.

Hello,
I've been working out since I was 13,I'm a strong, short guy who can easily put on muscle. And... That's my problem. I'm 5 ' 6 and would like to have a slimmer torso to show the illusion that I'm taller than I truly am. Being short and wide can be very unattractive and unappealling. I have had this same answer given to me in many different variables, "don't worry about it, it's just you." Okay, no, I definitely know it's me; however, I would "prefer" a slimmer torso. It can be done, but I don't know how. I'm not overweight, but I sure am "huge" relative to my height and weight (can do 90 Pushups continuously), so is there a kind soul among the thousands of respected MyFitnessPal bloggers that can aid me in my final goal? I would be so grateful and humble for even an attempt to help me.

Note: My final goal is to be ripped and lean since I was 13. What drove me to this determination, to chase this dream, was that thought that I could be an inspiration to others in the near future as the "kid who was once the most overweight child in class".

2nd Note: I have started HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and am 4 weeks in, but I'm at that point where it's really hard to shed that little bit fat.

3rd Note: I intake an average of 1650 calories a day and burn over 3000 calories a week.

Replies

• Oh, please add me as a friend so we can share info and different workouts we can do together. I'd love to help people in any way I can. I may lack nutrition knowledge (I know the basics), but I sure do know amazing workout circuits that's great, intense, and fun to do! So c'mon and add me as a friend! (^~^)
    - EK00001
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Sounds like you are in great shape, but you are barely eating in effort to change your structure?

If your body fat is low then there's not much you can do. You can try to build a wide back and thick legs to create the illusion of a slimmer waist (the tapered look). Other than that you need to fuel your body appropriately. You aren't eating close to enough food for your age and activity level. Learn to love your body and set realistic standards for what you can achieve with what you have been given.

By the way, one of the guys I like in the lifting world is only 5'4".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Columbu
  • usmcmp wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in great shape, but you are barely eating in effort to change your structure?

If your body fat is low then there's not much you can do. You can try to build a wide back and thick legs to create the illusion of a slimmer waist (the tapered look). Other than that you need to fuel your body appropriately. You aren't eating close to enough food for your age and activity level. Learn to love your body and set realistic standards for what you can achieve with what you have been given.

His body looks amazing! However, that doesn't suit me and my personality. I'm around (rough estimate) 14-16% body fat, am 140lbs, and want to look slimmer to "fit in with the modern world". I love my body, and am really proud of what I achieved, but would prefer slimmer external obliques since I got the right lateral size. I can curl 40lb dumbells and bench 135lbs no problem, but I don't want to be a body builder. You see, kind sir, after achieving my physique goals, I'll be moving on to parkour. In parkour, I can't have Franco Columbu's body. I need to be more flexible and slightly smaller.
    I'm actually really happy you replied to me! Thank you very much, Usmcmp!
  • usmcmp
    EK00001 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

His body looks amazing! However, that doesn't suit me and my personality. I'm around (rough estimate) 14-16% body fat, am 140lbs, and want to look slimmer to "fit in with the modern world". I love my body, and am really proud of what I achieved, but would prefer slimmer external obliques since I got the right lateral size. I can curl 40lb dumbells and bench 135lbs no problem, but I don't want to be a body builder. You see, kind sir, after achieving my physique goals, I'll be moving on to parkour. In parkour, I can't have Franco Columbu's body. I need to be more flexible and slightly smaller.

I'm not a sir, I'm a woman.

You can't slim down obliques. Cutting to under 10% might take a little off, but if you have obliques the only way to make them smaller is to stop using them (as well as the rest of your core). You're going to either have to learn to work with what you have or let your muscles break down by not using them. I suggest thinking about goals that fit in a bit better with your build.

You can't slim down obliques. Cutting to under 10% might take a little off, but if you have obliques the only way to make them smaller is to stop using them (as well as the rest of your core). You're going to either have to learn to work with what you have or let your muscles break down by not using them. I suggest thinking about goals that fit in a bit better with your build.

I apologize, my lady.
    Now first off, that sounds amazing! I have NEVER thought of it that way! I'll try it for 2 weeks and let you know how well your advice went.
    About the false assumption, your hair length and amazing build threw me away, assuming that's you in the profile pic. In short, you look amazing!
  • usmcmp

I apologize, my lady.
    Now first off, that sounds amazing! I have NEVER thought of it that way! I'll try it for 2 weeks and let you know how well your advice went.
    About the false assumption, your hair length and amazing build threw me away, assuming that's you in the profile pic. In short, you look amazing!

Thank you! My hair is in a ponytail in the picture to show my build.

Honestly, even for being short you don't weigh very much. The weight range for your height is 136-164 pounds, you weigh 140. I'm going to go with body dysmorphia instead of being "wide" like you claim. With your stats you are not going to be able to make your waist slimmer. I highly suggest seeking a counselor to help you with how you see your body. Develop a healthy mindset about how you look now, it will be important as you get older.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Good luck op u got this!
  • Good luck op u got this!
    Thank you! As well, I'll add chocolate milk to my after workout snacks! ;) Let's see how well that goes.

I apologize, my lady.

Thank you! My hair is in a ponytail in the picture to show my build.

Honestly, even for being short you don't weigh very much. The weight range for your height is 136-164 pounds, you weigh 140. I'm going to go with body dysmorphia instead of being "wide" like you claim. With your stats you are not going to be able to make your waist slimmer. I highly suggest seeking a counselor to help you with how you see your body. Develop a healthy mindset about how you look now, it will be important as you get older.

Thank you for everything! Honestly, I appreciate your realism by telling me straight what YOU think. I appreciate that.
    Keep it up! The best of luck towards your goals!