Low cost, preprepped, under 300 calorie lunch

Options
2»

Replies

• lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I'm definitely going to try that recipe for the chicken. I have 4-5 meals a day and do the same thing with spending most of Sunday prepping all my meals for the week, since I don't do much on Sundays. It makes sticking to my plan a lot easier and saves the hassle of going thru the prepping process everyday.

I'm assuming the portion sizes work for you and your goals. For me, I'm a big guy that trains a bit so my protein portions per meal at least triples yours'. The $20 bag of frozen chicken I get (Costco, Sams Club, etc.) lasts all week, even with my portions. A pain in the a** to cook all at once w/o drying out but worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the post and good luck on your goals!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Looks great, I wish I could eat the same thing more than a couple times before getting sick of it though!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'd get bored eating the same thing all the time.

I suppose in theory you could make a variety of lunches and alternate them. Though these things have a freezer shelf life, too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    meal prep for the week... winning.

Love it.
    I make a lot of stir fry that way- but I've gotten even lazier and recently just been buying rotisserie chickens.

That + bag of veggies = lunch. full of win.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    They sell rotisserie chickens, but not rotisserie suckling pigs. Just not fair.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This is a great post, and I like the way you took pictures to show us. Do you stock these in an extra freezer? Maybe you said already, and I missed it.

I should totally do this, too, on Sundays when prepping all my veggies and stuff. We usually cook a few times per week, and I take leftovers to work for BF and LCH, but I should start pre-weighing them in individual containers and refrigerating/freezing them, just to save me time in the morning ( I am not an early morning person).

This is also a good idea for folks who have to be on a sodium restricted diet like me because frozen foods at the grocery store are usually heavily salted, even if they are low in calories and preservative free.
    I understand why you use jarred gravy, but anyone on a low sodium diet could just make their own.

<3 this post!

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
    This would be me:
    Daniels_DJ_Snake_Lil_Jon_Turn_Down_for_What4-224x135.png

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do a similar thing but only with the meat. I cook my chicken breast in bulk and then freeze in pre-portioned bags. Mine are usually closer to 140g or about 5oz. I would serioulsy starve on 2oz of chicken breast. I find veggies/salad easy enough to cook or prepare so I can just grab the meat out when I need it.

This works for me because space is a problem and also I would get bored with the same veggies all the time
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Me too. I'd get bored eating the same thing all the time.

I suppose in theory you could make a variety of lunches and alternate them. Though these things have a freezer shelf life, too.

Yeah--once you start varying them it takes lots of time too. That's why I like the make extra dinner and pack it for lunch method.

I also get bored too easily, so even with my leftovers I usually vary the sides somewhat.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good job! I almost always pack my own lunch and I eat a lot of the same things. I don't care - as long as it gets me and keeps me at goal. Also, I think 2 ounces of protein at lunch is sufficient - the smaller I get, the less of everything I get to have - it seems to satiate me. I'll have 3 to 4 ounces of protein at dinner.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yep the meal sizes are for my 1200 calorie diet. I do eat back more protein calories on days and/or day after I do muscle workouts.

The chicken calories came from an mfp search, grilled or baked chicken breast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Many MFP user-provided entries are wrong. You have to be careful.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Many MFP user-provided entries are wrong. You have to be careful.

It works for me. Its set at 1200 but should probably be at 1300 simply based on my daily activity, so I still lose if I have a fee more calories. You do have to sometimes tinker with mfp I agree.