BBQ shake n bake

Options
I have some shake n bake that tastes like BBQ sauce. it tastes great but its hard to know how much I use. if I bake say 12-14 drum sticks using it, there is still some left in the bags.

I'm already guessing at how many calories are in the chicken since they aren't all exactly 4 ounces. (I know at some point when I can afford it I should consider a food scale, but then how do I take into account the bone? (and I'd rather not take the chicken off the bone, unless its with my teeth)

for now I'm just taking the drumsticks as 180 a piece and it says on the shake n bake that its 40 calories a serving and with 16 to a box, and some left over, maybe thats about a serving per drumstick. round up and say 200 per drumstick with the BBQ shake n bake added.

so after they're all cooked and divided into 3 bowls of 4 pieces each for the week, thats say 600 calories per meal. maybe add a side of green beans with a pat of butter and salted to taste.

so will that work or could I be drastically underestimating and sabotage my efforts?

(do note I have a 2080 calorie limit before exercising) so supper being at 800 calories or so with the green beans and chicken is okay, if I'm right about how many calories I'm getting.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You should buy a food scale and weigh your foods. You can weigh the bag of seasoning before and after to determine how much you used.

With your system right now, you are probably grossly over and underestimating your caloric intake.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You should buy a food scale and weigh your foods. You can weigh the bag of seasoning before and after to determine how much you used.

With your system right now, you are probably grossly over and underestimating your caloric intake.

agree with scale. I weigh everything, comes in handy for making recipes. And if you know you'll be eating everything then the consumption will balance out anyways.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    As they said, weighing it on a food scale
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Weigh the mixture before you put the chicken in the bag. Then weigh it after you take the chicken out. The difference in weight it how much is on the chicken.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing your meat AND seasoning.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    You can find food scales on amazon or at walmart for less than $20