insulin resistant

Options
I recently found out I'm insulin resistant. Which partly explains the 25 pounds I gained in about 8 weeks. My mom is diabetic but doesn't watch what she eats. I've tried losing the weight many times and it never works because of her. I live with her and she does all the meal prep. My money buys the groceries but she even takes over that. I search for healthy recipes and she refuses to cook them because of my dad. The only exercise I can do is stationary bike and I can't do that until a few days after I have my injections. I have all these obstacles but I still want more than anything to find a way to make this work. My biggest thing is working on portion sizes and drinking my calories. I'm from the south and sweet tea is a big thing and I'm just flat addicted to soda. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. I do NOT want criticism.

Replies

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I would eat the unhealthy stuff, just smaller portions. If that leaves you hungry you could make up the extra space by eating lower calorie options along with it that don't require much or any prep. For example I will sometimes add in carrot sticks with plain low fat yogurt (it is sort of like sour cream and I love sour cream).

Why is the only exercise you can do stationary bike? Do you have access to a computer with a bit of room in front? There are tons of YouTube exercise videos that are free. If it is a question of impact Leslie Sansone has several walk away the pounds videos that aren't very stressful and don't require very much space. If worse comes to worst you can always march in place as well.

As for soda, I used to be massively addicted to Coca Cola. We're talking slight panic attacks at the idea of not having any in the house addicted. What I did to get rid of it was replacement. I searched around for something that tasted good (at the time it wasn't as good) and I instead drank that. I went from Coca Cola to Diet Vanilla Coke to Coke Zero and now I'm onto Crystal Light. I would never have imagined it back then, but Coca Cola actually tastes disgusting to me now. Obviously, taste buds vary so you'll probably have to find your own replacement flavors, but I hope it helps.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance... make sure you are getting 30 minutes of cardio every other day, every day - even better.

I limit starchy foods (potato, wheat, rice, corn, etc.) to 30 grams per meal and always eat with protein and fat. This is to keep blood sugar levels stable.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I do NOT want criticism.

Well, then don't take any hard truth as criticism, because you're bound to get it, and it's going to start with me.

How old are you that your mother still has control over what you eat? If your money buys the food then grow a pair and tell her that either the eating habits change or they can supply their own food. Strike that, I looked at your profile, you're 30 ... your mom should not be dictating what you eat.

Make your own food. I prepare the bulk of meals for my family of 4, but I make small changes like taking my serving of pasta out of the pan before I pour pasta sauce in. Ground turkey instead of beef. Home soaked beans instead of canned. I will make myself a bag of veggies instead of having seconds. I also have things that are just for me like Fiber One 90 calorie brownies and protein powder, so when my family has some cookies for dessert I have a brownie. I make a smoothie in the morning when my kids are having granola, Life cereal, or a NutriGrain bar.

I'm facing potential prediabetes, PCOS, and thyroid issues. Making sure I'm healthy is top priority. I've spent too many years ignoring myself, and now I'm paying the price. I don't care if my husband doesn't always like the diet changes (he needs to lose weight too per our doctor), nor do I care if my kids like it (because they need to learn to eat healthier now rather than later). It's happening, and it will continue indefinitely. I put my foot down, and I think it's high time you did the same, for your sake and obviously your parents as well.
  • tidefan1784
    tidefan1784 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't stand long enough to cook because of my back issues! I am waiting on medicaid waiver to come through where meals will be delivered to me. They will be portioned controlled and I won't have to worry about it. I live with her rent free so I can't complain too much can I?
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" is what my mother always said
  • tidefan1784
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    I would eat the unhealthy stuff, just smaller portions. If that leaves you hungry you could make up the extra space by eating lower calorie options along with it that don't require much or any prep. For example I will sometimes add in carrot sticks with plain low fat yogurt (it is sort of like sour cream and I love sour cream).

Why is the only exercise you can do stationary bike? Do you have access to a computer with a bit of room in front? There are tons of YouTube exercise videos that are free. If it is a question of impact Leslie Sansone has several walk away the pounds videos that aren't very stressful and don't require very much space. If worse comes to worst you can always march in place as well.

As for soda, I used to be massively addicted to Coca Cola. We're talking slight panic attacks at the idea of not having any in the house addicted. What I did to get rid of it was replacement. I searched around for something that tasted good (at the time it wasn't as good) and I instead drank that. I went from Coca Cola to Diet Vanilla Coke to Coke Zero and now I'm onto Crystal Light. I would never have imagined it back then, but Coca Cola actually tastes disgusting to me now. Obviously, taste buds vary so you'll probably have to find your own replacement flavors, but I hope it helps.

I have scoliosis that they did a fusion on when I was 16. I have a herniated disk below that fusion where they want to undo the old one and redo it to include the herniated disk. I also have severe arthritis and stenosis of the spine. I get steroid injections every four months to help with chronic pain in the back though the last one did not work. They are doing some tweaking and I'm supposed to go Monday for it assuming I can get gas to go as it is a bit of a ride. I'm also recovering from rotator cuff surgery that I had about six weeks ago. I also have fibro and neuropathy. My back muscles stay tight as well. They are still trying to find a med balance for those as well. I do limit myself to one coke per day. I do drink water if it has the crystal light in it. That's a battle with my mom too. She's always drinking my bottled water! I had bought the pur filter that goes on the faucet. Two of them. They both got broke within two days by the grandkids. If I could lose 50 pounds, I could start cooking my own meals. It will come in time. My aunt is my big supporter. She's never been half my size but she's lost weight successfully and kept most of it off.
  • tidefan1784
    Options
    I have insulin resistance... make sure you are getting 30 minutes of cardio every other day, every day - even better.

I limit starchy foods (potato, wheat, rice, corn, etc.) to 30 grams per meal and always eat with protein and fat. This is to keep blood sugar levels stable.

Can you suggest protein rich foods for me? I know chicken is good.
  • tidefan1784
    Options
    "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" is what my mother always said

Awesome quote! I've been looking on Pinterest under the healthy section. Bunch of exercises I can't do but lots of inspirational quotes that I've been pinning.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    I can't stand long enough to cook because of my back issues! I am waiting on medicaid waiver to come through where meals will be delivered to me. They will be portioned controlled and I won't have to worry about it. I live with her rent free so I can't complain too much can I?

If she's not willing to do something to help you become healthier... then yeah, I think it's fair to complain. It's not unreasonable that you want to be make better choices. She knows your situation, and to be unwilling to help you is not cool.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Also - just an idea to throw out there. Exercises in water. Not sure of what's in/around your location, but its another option to get you moving around - with less pain. Ask your doc for recommendations on whether pool exercises is a good idea
  • lasttimedaisy
    Options
    Could you move in with your aunt? She sounds like she would support you on your weight loss journey
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How exactly does one "find out" they are insulin resistant? I mean, scientifically speaking - that would require some elaborate blood testing - such as a glucose uptake panel, which takes six hours of getting blood draws. Who has ever really had that done here? And if you haven't, isn't your self-diagnosing merely a theory?
  • ea15792
    ea15792 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    How exactly does one "find out" they are insulin resistant? I mean, scientifically speaking - that would require some elaborate blood testing - such as a glucose uptake panel, which takes six hours of getting blood draws. Who has ever really had that done here? And if you haven't, isn't your self-diagnosing merely a theory?

Through day 3 bloodwork which is very common if you have any menstrual issues. Or at least that is how I found out I am insulin resistant. I know some doctors will also test for insulin resistance especially if you have a first degree relative with diabetes.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^^very interesting. Thank you. The condition does get thrown around a lot, and I was curious as to how common it really is.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are symptoms of IR, and the HOMA-IR assessment just needs a fasted blood glucose and insulin measurement IIRC.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    I had glucose serum, insulin, and A1C drawn last week. My mom is insulin dependent type 2, as was my grandpa. So I have the familial history to validate the testing, plus my own symptoms that point to PCOS, which is almost always linked to insulin resistance from what I've read.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You cannot change your Mom but you you can find ways to work around her.
    Drink tap water. It is fine to drink. Stoping the sweet tea and soda is the first and easiest thing you can do for yourself. See the free Weight of the Nation (Documentary that the U.S. gov and HBO produced:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10017971/insulin-resistant#latest
    They explain about the sugary drinks.

Re exercise: In addition to bike work, you can do chair, and mat (yoga) work. Check youtube for those.
    Go to the library for books by Geenen Roth and look for her on youtube and FB -- she has lots of help about our relationship with food.
    Protein rich foods include these: beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, beans, broccoli.
    The easiest thing is to buy canned beans and add them to some veggies like broccoli.

Buy canned and frozen fruits and veggies because they are cheaper than fresh and just as good except for the texture.
    Good veggies for you include these:
    broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, collard greens, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts

Good luck. You can make changes to improve your life. Maybe change one or two little things one week and then make two more changes for two weeks.
    Log your food into the diary. Entering our days into the diary (every bite, every sip) is helping lots of us here on MFP.