Fasted cardio or nah?

Options
What's everyone's opinion on fasted cardio? I'm going to add some LISS to my mornings to aid with weightloss. But I have heard so many opinions. So tell me your take on it :)

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes - even though I hate cardio, i try to do it once a week. supposedly burns more fat
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I prefer fasted cardio, I perform better.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Try it and see, Cant say I saw that much from it and prefer to have had soemthing to eat to get me through the workout.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can't even *drive* to the gym fasted without having to pull over and dry heave. :)

I have tried a few different things before my workouts (paleo, fasted, carbed up) and I saw big differences in my times on Crossfit WODs and was much slower when I didn't eat my standard breakfast of oatmeal with spotty banana and nut butter. But that's ME. I know a lot of people who like working out fasted.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

This is the only research they've done so far? Ugh - now I almost don't want to bother with fasted cardio.

Come on science!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What's everyone's opinion on fasted cardio? I'm going to add some LISS to my mornings to aid with weightloss. But I have heard so many opinions. So tell me your take on it :)

By LISS presumably you mean going for a walk?

For some working fasted works, for others it doesn't. I'd concentrate more on the performance effect than the weight loss per se.

Personally I can run up to around 10K fasted, but prefer to fuel as my performance is better. That's mainly psychological as the training doesn't access the fuel you've just taken on board anyway.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Im not sure, but I often take notice of articles they produce because they analyse whats being said and I believe tell you the truth. We already know theres massive spin with interested parties saying one thing and experts then saying another. I dont think the evidence is conclusive. If it works for you then do it.

I do know I dont want to run out of energy, so I have something even if its just a banana and water. Maube others can provide some actual comprehensive studies to prove its better rather than just opinion.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    it's rubbish that you burn more doing fasted cardio. i typically always eat breakfast before my morning 9+ mile runs. and a fairly hefty breakie too. although i will say, this past week i ran fasted on wednesday morning because i had to get some lab work done, and while i struggled a bit at the beginning, as the run progressed it got easier. i did almost 9 miles, not at my fastest pace, but about 9:30 min/mile which is better than i expected with no fuel in me. but i definitely prefer having my toasted english muffin + PB + coffee in the mornings, and then hitting the pavement.
  • eddieoak
    eddieoak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find fasted cardio works well for me. Early mornings finds your body with high levels of cortisol, when adding carbs for example, it makes me a bit sluggish. Most research I've read suggests carbs for strength training and low carbs for early mornings (meat/veggies). I usually just drink a protein shake, then eat some carbs after my run... If I can't run in the mornings, then I wait until noon or evenings to make sure my body is burning fat storages and not the carbs I had (if I still ate carbs before a morning run). Judge for yourself and make a mental note of your performance with carbs or without, or fasted! Once you make that determination then dial it in and go for it! Good luck!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There is some advantage to eating breakfast after working out, but if it doesn't feel good for you, or you don't work out in the morning, then don't do it.

Basically, you've been running on stored energy all night, so you're closer to starting to use more fat because the glucose & glycogen are getting low.
    999tigger wrote:
    This is the only research they've done so far? Ugh - now I almost don't want to bother with fasted cardio. Come on science!
    No, that's the first article someone could lay hands on to show you.

Here's a quote from & citation to a scientific study:
    "findings suggest that there may be an advantage for body fat regulation and lipid metabolism in exercising before compared with after breakfast."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23167985

You can search for information on topics here:
    MedLine Plus, from the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/
    And PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

51637601.png
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a difference for weight loss. It's just a matter of personal preference.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a major difference either as long as you're doing SOMETHING. I run on an empty stomach in the mornings if I'm going 3-4 miles or less. If I'm going more, than I'll have a small breakfast (I'm not a breakfast eater) and then something more substantial when I get home.

Honestly, even if there is a small increase in cals burned, I doubt it's enough to make a difference. Do what feels best to you and remember that most of your work is in the kitchen anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Any difference in "burn" fasted v. unffasted would be negligible. If your body requires 2500 calories per day to maintain and you consume 2000, you're going to pretty much "burn" the same regardless of whether you workout fasted or otherwise.

My workouts are far better if I have something before hand like an apple.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depends on why you are doing it. Some people feel better exercising without eating first (although many don't realize that "pre exercise meal" doesn't mean a full breakfast, but a 100-150 calorie snack). If you are thinking of doing it because it "burns more fat", then don't waste your time, because it doesn't make any difference in losing stored body fat.
    Your energy needs for exercise are based on the fuel you have on board and the needs of the workout. You can't "trick" the body into burning a preferred fuel substrate. Either you have the energy on board or you don't. If you have the energy on board and can complete the workout, then you aren't really "fasting", no matter how much or how little you had to eat beforehand. And, finally, regardless of the fuel substrate mix you use during exercise, the body will sort everything out over the long term and your ultimate loss or gain of body fat will be determined by your overall energy balance.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Iri_2 wrote: »
    I don't think it makes a difference for weight loss. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Stated right after reading:
    Here's a quote from & citation to a scientific study:
    "findings suggest that there may be an advantage for body fat regulation and lipid metabolism in exercising before compared with after breakfast."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23167985

file-317911732.jpg

lol.

Anyway, with lifting, I lift heavier when fasted, with cardio, I seem to have a more steady session, but there is a definite mental aspect to it. If you can't handle the mental aspect, don't work out fasted.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of working out first thing in the morning and I really don't like working out right after eating, either, but sometimes it's inevitable. Usually I'll try to have a banana, a small granola bar, or a few Shot Bloks before a short run (<5 miles) or add a mini bagel with some jam for a longer one--at least a little something to fuel my muscles.

I guess I would say try it both ways--do you feel better or worse one way or the other?
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I tried it for a couple of days and just couldn't do it. I had really poor performance during and felt miserable for most of the day (forget work) afterwards - I couldn't get my blood sugar stable. Also, couldn't regulate my core temp outside in the cold. I need at least 400 cals before I start.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    For the majority of us it is just personal preference.

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/performing-cardio-on-an-empty-stomach/
    Does Cardio After an Overnight Fast Maximise Fat Loss?

In conclusion, the literature does not support the efficacy of training early in the morning on an empty stomach as a tactic to reduce body fat. At best, the net effect on fat loss associated with such an approach will be no better than training after meal consumption, and quite possibly, it would produce inferior results. Moreover, given that training with depleted glycogen levels has been shown to increase proteolysis, the strategy has potential detrimental effects for those concerned with muscle strength and hypertrophy.

Full text is posted on this site.
    http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php/105668-Nail-in-the-Coffin-of-fasted-cardio

There is a new study in review so we might know more soon.
    Accepted!
    The first study to investigate body composition changes following a regimented program of fasted vs. non-fasted cardio with subjects adhering to a weight loss diet. — with Alan Aragon and 2 others.-Brad Shoenfeld
  • dbmata
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I guess I would say try it both ways--do you feel better or worse one way or the other?
    You could say that again. If it feels good and works, hit it.