Choosing a Bike?

Options
Hi all! Since I've been semi injured from running, I've learned that I actually like cycling quite a bit. Right now, I am riding on the same bike I've had since I was 9. It's a mountain bike, but it's quite slow, and I'm looking for something faster (I went on a biking excursion where I rented a bike for a week, and the rental I used was much, much faster). I need something that will get me to the paved bike paths near my house, and take me along those for 20-40 miles, and that I could do speed work on eventually. I also want one of those skinny looking bikes if possible... they look really cool. Under $1,000 or close to that would be great too.

Thanks so much, I've tried to do my own research, but it's so overwhelming, as I know almost nothing about bikes.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike store, they can set you up with the perfect bike for your needs.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Find a local trusted bicycle shop. They will be your new best friends. I spent HOURS with the sales guys at my local bicycle shop test riding several bikes and they measured me for the right fit and found the right bike for my budget and needs.
  • Rebsrockem
    Rebsrockem Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello! (my first post - I didn't even know there were message boards on here, and now I find a cycling thread = awesomeness!)
    - I concur with queen and missjules...........go find a bike shop that you feel comfortable with. Go to several of them so you can have a good comparison. Equally important as the _bike_ you decide on, is the _shop_ you decide on. No matter if you decide to go off-road, or road, get a riding partner. You will have a BLAST!!! And, you will blast away some serious calories riding. Safe travels!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    yes, get a bike fitted for you by a local bike shop. Ask them for after purchase maintenance specials. Most good bike shops that sell bikes near $1,000 will offer free tune ups, etc after you purchase the bike. "Specialized" makes a nice bike near $1,000
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/diverge/diverge-a1
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Like others have almost said, shop for your local bike store, not the bike itself. The major manufacturers all offer similar styles, features and benefits at similar price points. The staff at the bike store will have more to do with your overall satisfaction than whether you're riding a Trek, Giant, Specialized, or whatever. Once you choose your bike store, they can help guide you to the style and size that best fits you and your budget. (Note: you'll want to test ride different bikes. If the staff discourages you from taking a few trips around the block, move on to the next bike store.)

This is a good time of year to buy a bike. Most bike stores should be offering discounted prices.
  • nymtber
    nymtber Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is the best time of year to be looking for a bike, most bike shops are getting in the 2015 models, and closing out the 2014 models. You can save a good amount of money!

Sounds like you are looking for either a road bike or a "Hybrid" style, also called flat-handlebar road bike by most who ride. I have owned both, and being back in shape I much prefer the road bike with drop handlebars. You get a lot more positions for riding, which leads to more comfort. Especially after 15 miles!

Definitely test ride as many as possible, find a good shop that carries more than ONE brand. I prefer specialized, but I actually ride a Diamondback right now. I saved $400 buying it online a year out of season. I don't recommend buying online, but I build my own bikes and wheels, not everyone has the tools that I do, and should buy from a shop!