What to do when you're sick?

Options
Well, I got bronchitis this week and totally fell off the bandwagon. What do you do when you're sick and need to eat healthy? I found myself going back to comfort foods and easy to get foods, any advice?

Replies

• aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just got over a pretty bad cold. Your body needs more calories to fight off being sick, so my suggestion is to eat at maintenance while you're sick. Don't overeat, but don't under eat either. I find that when I'm sick I don't want to eat, so it was tough making myself. I ate soups, and breads, but be sure you're getting enough protein! :) Hope this helps!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was sick a couple days this week - I ate a mix of comfort foods but really tried to sneak in some extra healthy stuff to get myself feeling well again! Like aimeemarie, I ate some soups this week - plus tried to focus on more fruits/veggies. I actually dropped a pound this week in spite of it.

That being said - I definitely did NOT eat well last weekend, so I think these days of falling off the bandwagon can happen whether you're sick or not. I've just learned to not fret, not give up, and just focus on making better choices the next day. If I've eaten a lot of sodium-laden food, I really focus on downing the water & tea.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on how myopic your definition of "healthy" is. I have a lot of "comfort foods" that I also consider to be very much healthy.

I had a cold all this week and I ate a lot of Green Chile Stew. It's definitely a comfort food...and chalk full of nutrition...big chunks of pork tenderloin for protein, potatoes, and NM green chiles have loads of vitamin C. A little GC Stew and a tortilla and I'm feeling alright..

Many people have an extremely myopic view of nutrition and black and white labels like "good" and "bad"...this can cause a lot of unnecessary issues. When you're talking about matters of nutrition, context and dosage are extremely important...as is the big picture.
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I am sick and my throat hurts a ton. Went to the Doctor yesterday. Food is not a problem, but I've not worked out in two weeks. No, not true. I worked out on Monday because I was upset at having gone a week, then I got a lot sicker and it got colder and I haven't worked out since. BTW, I'm not saying working out is what made me get sicker, probably just coincidence.

But I am upset at the fought of the stamina I'm losing. I've only been working out a few months (hiking mountain trails), and was feeling so much stronger. I bet the trail kicks my butt when I finally feel up to getting out there. I'm hoping by Monday, Tuesday latest. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am sick and my throat hurts a ton. Went to the Doctor yesterday. Food is not a problem, but I've not worked out in two weeks. No, not true. I worked out on Monday because I was upset at having gone a week, then I got a lot sicker and it got colder and I haven't worked out since. BTW, I'm not saying working out is what made me get sicker, probably just coincidence.

But I am upset at the fought of the stamina I'm losing. I've only been working out a few months (hiking mountain trails), and was feeling so much stronger. I bet the trail kicks my butt when I finally feel up to getting out there. I'm hoping by Monday, Tuesday latest. :(

Any loss in stamina will be very temporary...muscle memory is pretty awesome and the human body is awesome. In the grand scheme of things, missing some time isn't a big deal and life happens. Expecting that you will be "on" all of the time is completely unrealistic and you'd just be setting yourself up.
  • DRem7
    DRem7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's nice to hear the feedback!
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Kind of depends on what I'm sick with. If it's something like the flu, nothing is going to stay down, haha. So it's mostly just fluids & keeping hydrated. Most of the time when I'm sick, I never have much of an appetite, so it's hard to say.