Weight Watchers

Many, many years ago I joined WW and lost 42 lbs which put me at 130 lbs. However, I did not control my consumption of food and pretty soon the lbs came back on. Anyone out there trying to lose weight using the WW ready made food products? If so, how is this working for you. I find that their products are very sodium laden and wonder if this would help to keep the water and weight on. Comments please are welcomed.

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    For me, the benefits of portion control and variety outweigh the sodium and preservatives in pre-packaged dinners like Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines. I have done well using them. I miss WW but had to quit due to the long distance getting to the meetings. The online tools are light years ahead of MFP, but I am grateful at least this site is free.
  • alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    I like weight watchers (well, the online app) but have always hated their meals. The portions are tiny, so I'd only eat them as a snack. The food itself is okay, but I'd rather make something or buy other brands of pre-prepared meals.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    I was on WW before coming here and lost 45 lbs.... That being said, I felt the money I was spending on weekly meetings would go a long way in buying healthy food I could make at home. I just use the food database here and still figure my points. I never liked the food. I felt it was over priced for what you got....good luck to you..
  • I've eaten probably every single WW food product because my mom was always dieting on WW (never seemed to make a lasting difference for her). The portion control was nice, but I don't think the ingredients are great for you, particularly in the bread and dessert products. The meals themselves are full of more "filler" ingredients like pasta and rice than you really need -- you'd be better off filling up on lean meats like chicken or fish, with a small amount of whole grain or veggie sides. As you mentioned, the sodium is also pretty high.

For convenience, the prepackaged meals are OK for lunch at work/on the go, but I think you're better off using their points system for homemade fresh foods.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I've done WW in the past and I had a WW leader recommend staying away from them or only have once in a great while.

If you are looking for something quick to make during the week you can always cook meals ahead of time and freeze them for later. A crockpot is really handy for doing this.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    I don't plan on having WW meals as a steady diet. Just once in a while as a fill in meal. I know fresh and home prepared is much better for you but there is that time when you need something quick. Just thought if there was someone out there that had done WW full time, if they had any pros or cons about going WW on a full time basis. Thanks for all your input.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I've done WW 'full time' but I've never used their food products. My opinion is any diet plan works if you do it right and for long enough. It's just finding the one (or ones) that work with your lifestyle so you can do that.

From your first post, sodium doesn't hinder fat loss in the least. It might affect your scale some from water weight fluctuations but if you're eating at a caloric deficit, you will lose body mass (non-water) and you will get smaller, regardless of your sodium intake or hydration/bloat levels. Bloat can hide a little fat loss but not a lot, and only on the scale, you're still less fat. So eating low sodium to aid fat loss doesn't make sense. If you have high blood pressure it might be a good idea, though.

Good luck!
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    I do have high blood pressure which is under control with meds. I like the idea of having premeasured meals so I don't have to figure out my own only on a occasional basis. I have been stuck at the same weight for almost two month, up and down and up and down and I'm just trying to find out something that may get me losing again. I know this is not a lifetime diet, but am struggling to get off those last 10 lbs. I probably need to do more exercise but with RA sometimes it is hard. My feet are really affected so it is hard to do much walking. I do have a stationary bike which I use but that can get boring. Thanks everyone for your input -I'll just have to keep plugging along until I get that loss jumpstarted again. :p
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Weight Watchers is a waste of money IMO
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    WW is pretty cheap compared to most diet plans, and pretty sensible.

garreight- What is your calorie level you're aiming for now? If you're not losing at it, consider lowering it. Pre-portioned meals can be a big help, if you don't like to log with measuring your own foods.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    "Many, many years ago I joined WW and lost 42 lbs which put me at 130 lbs. However, I did not control my consumption of food and pretty soon the lbs came back on"

A familiar story with WW though. It doesnt teach you about sustainable ways of eating. Avoid.

Just eat a normal diet, but less of, so that you eat at a calorie deficit.
  • stickeysweet
    stickeysweet Posts: 5 Member
    Pinterest has many weight watcher's recipes. Very good too.
    Home made meals are so much Better than all the salt in the processed meals from weight watcher's.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    garreight wrote: »
    I do have high blood pressure which is under control with meds. I like the idea of having premeasured meals so I don't have to figure out my own only on a occasional basis. I have been stuck at the same weight for almost two month, up and down and up and down and I'm just trying to find out something that may get me losing again. I know this is not a lifetime diet, but am struggling to get off those last 10 lbs. I probably need to do more exercise but with RA sometimes it is hard. My feet are really affected so it is hard to do much walking. I do have a stationary bike which I use but that can get boring. Thanks everyone for your input -I'll just have to keep plugging along until I get that loss jumpstarted again. :p
    if you aren't losing wiehgt you should cut calories a bit (50-100 a day) then you will see losses again, try taking them from a carb or fat source cut like if you eat carbs for breakfast eat 1/2 the serving you are already eating)
    i think those meals are fine, drink lots of water
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    I lost 65lbs or so on WW online (no meetings) and recently switched to MFP. I can say you will have to give MFP some work to find where your caloric intake should be. Give it 4 weeks to find your sweet spot and then adjust down or up based on the 4 week results.

I found MFP database much more helpful but it comes down to measuring and being accountable for yourself. I see no reason why you cannot use some WW foods as long as it is not all WW food. The sodium is alot and I too have to watch my sodium for blood pressure so I understand how you feel.

MFP macros tracking is much more helpful than WW. On WW I felt I could eat cookies and salad for the day. Not much nutrition in that. WW meetings can be very supportive and that may help others more.

Do what makes you feel more comfortable. Both are better than doing nothing at all. :)