Does anyone think this calorie calculator is way to high?

Options

Replies

• sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes. I put in similar stats to the Scooby calculator and it gave me a much higher number to lose the same amount of weight. I have been losing weight pretty accurately vs the numbers given by the Scooby calculator so I would say this one is giving a quite high estimate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at it...but you have to understand the methodology being used by various calculators. The scooby calculator for example is a TDEE calculator and accounts for your exercise in your activity level. MFP is a NEAT method calculator essentially and you account for exercise after the fact when you log it and get those calories to "eat back".

You just have to understand the methodologies and what you're doing. The methods are pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of the other if you're doing them right...problem is that people don't understand the whole exercise thing and they also tend to compare a loss rate goal of 2 Lbs per week with MfP vs a 20% cut from TDEE which is usually closer to about 1 Lb per week.

Again...you just have to do a little research on what you're actually doing.
  • dancafc1995
    dancafc1995 Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I didn't look at it...but you have to understand the methodology being used by various calculators. The scooby calculator for example is a TDEE calculator and accounts for your exercise in your activity level. MFP is a NEAT method calculator essentially and you account for exercise after the fact when you log it and get those calories to "eat back".

You just have to understand the methodologies and what you're doing. The methods are pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of the other if you're doing them right...problem is that people don't understand the whole exercise thing and they also tend to compare a loss rate goal of 2 Lbs per week with MfP vs a 20% cut from TDEE which is usually closer to about 1 Lb per week.

So if I do alot of standing/walking in the day I should put my activity level on MFP to Active?. Just to clarify that i am understanding this correctly, MFP does not take exercise into account, it bases your TDEE of your daily living activities, I have always been hesitant to put my activity level to Active on MFP because I thought that meant running or doing some kind of sport?
  • llrepic
    llrepic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    no
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    looks normal to me, numbers just a smidge higher than MFP

did you remember to change the units from kg to lb when you put in your current weight?
  • dancafc1995
    dancafc1995 Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    looks normal to me, numbers just a smidge higher than MFP

did you remember to change the units from kg to lb when you put in your current weight?

I used my weight in stones, I'm 11 stone 4 pounds. And it says at lightly active (for example standing for most of the day or being a teacher for example) I require 2800 calories to maintain.
  • Momand2kids
    Options
    Yes, I am happy with my weight. I joined cause I had to for a health class. I weigh 135 and my daily diet always estimates me to be about 145. It is def. high.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    MFP expects you to add in your exercise calories, so gives you a low baseline. You earn more calories as you log exercise. Thus it uses a different method than most other calculators.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So if I do alot of standing/walking in the day I should put my activity level on MFP to Active?. Just to clarify that i am understanding this correctly, MFP does not take exercise into account, it bases your TDEE of your daily living activities, I have always been hesitant to put my activity level to Active on MFP because I thought that meant running or doing some kind of sport?

MFP does not figure out your TDEE. It figures out BMR and then adds some more for daily activities (but not including exercise). TDEE includes exercise, and virtually everything, it means Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

A properly set MFP + Exercise calories should be somewhere in the same vicinity of a properly set TDEE - % goal.

So for example, if your TDEE is 2,200, then your TDEE - 20% would be 1,760.

MFP might say you should eat 1450 then you would add exercise calories of 300 and come out to 1,750.