Is my HRM correct?

Options
I've been using a heart-rate monitor while I work out to a Jillian Michaels DVD. It says I burn around 400 calories from this type of exercise. The DVD is her Beginners workout and is 30 seconds of cardio followed by two moves, 10 reps each (push ups, squats, dumb bell raises etc). Each circuit is done 3x and there are 6 in total. It takes about 40 minutes.

I feel like my HRM is way off however I am sweating and keeping a fast pace. It just seems like 400 calories is way too high!

Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    HRMs are supposed to be used for steady rate cardio (like running, swimming, cycling). Trying to use them for aerobics, strength training, circuit training, yoga, etc can lead to exaggerated burns which can be off anywhere from 30%-70%.

If it seems too high, then cut the calorie burn by half when you log it. Give it about 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed.
  • littlej01
    littlej01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

PikaKnight wrote: »
    HRM's are usually supposed to be for steady rate cardio (like running, swimming, cycling). Trying to use them for aerobics, strength training, circuit training, yoga, etc can lead to exaggerated burns which can be anywhere from 30%-70% off.

If it seems too high, then cut the calorie burn by half when you log it. Give it about 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed.

Thank you, great advice!

We're getting a treadmill next week so I'll make sure to use my HRM for that and see how it goes with strength training.