What works for you?

Options
I work 12-16 hr nursing shifts 3-4 days a week.
On your work days do you log in everything before bed or do you log in planned meals and snacks to make yourself accountable.
I used to use fatsecret's app and logged before. It worked for me unless my family changed dinner ideas before I got home.
Curious on how you all make it work for you :)
thanks

Replies

• covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I actually log everything the night before. I talk to my wife about meals for the week. I typically hold out dinner until I get home make sure I have enough calories open for whatever is planned. I keep open enough fat and carbs to make sure I am still hitting my macros. The bulk of my calories come during the day anyways. I do work about 10-14 hour shifts as well, so I understand the difficulty. I try to plan ahead every day. Hope this helps!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I pre-log every morning, regardless of working or not. If I need to make an adjustment later in the day, so be it.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    covens04 wrote: »
    I actually log everything the night before. I talk to my wife about meals for the week. I typically hold out dinner until I get home make sure I have enough calories open for whatever is planned. I keep open enough fat and carbs to make sure I am still hitting my macros. The bulk of my calories come during the day anyways. I do work about 10-14 hour shifts as well, so I understand the difficulty. I try to plan ahead every day. Hope this helps!

Thank you!
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I pre-log every morning, regardless of working or not. If I need to make an adjustment later in the day, so be it.

Thank you.
    I think this is how I need to approach it on my work days.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log everything except my bedtime snacks and water. I log those and close out the day last thing at night.
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I usually pre-log everything except my bedtime snacks and water. I log those and close out the day last thing at night.

thank you!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add but respect for being a nurse! One of the most difficult underappreciated jobs on the planet
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    tsikkz wrote: »
    I have nothing to add but respect for being a nurse! One of the most difficult underappreciated jobs on the planet

Thank you! I appreciate that so much!

• one2bskiny
    one2bskiny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a log as I go kinda person. Never know what I'm going to gave till its time to eat something. But I normally make good choices (see my food diary)
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    one2bskiny wrote: »
    I'm a log as I go kinda person. Never know what I'm going to gave till its time to eat something. But I normally make good choices (see my food diary)
    thank you!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I pre-log, figure what fits in "numbers" for the day, then package and pack that in a cooler. If it's NOT in that cooler, then it does NOT go in my mouth. Note: I work 24 hour shifts as a Paramedic. Many times I don't get breaks (sometimes my day is one LOOOONG break) and my shifts rarely, if ever, end on time. I have a secret stash in my locker at the station of "emergency" food....a couple protein shakes and some pre-packaged nuts, for days that end up being longer or more "active" where I might need a bit more sustenance.
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    I pre-log, figure what fits in "numbers" for the day, then package and pack that in a cooler. If it's NOT in that cooler, then it does NOT go in my mouth. Note: I work 24 hour shifts as a Paramedic. Many times I don't get breaks (sometimes my day is one LOOOONG break) and my shifts rarely, if ever, end on time. I have a secret stash in my locker at the station of "emergency" food....a couple protein shakes and some pre-packaged nuts, for days that end up being longer or more "active" where I might need a bit more sustenance.

I was an ER nurse for over 13 years and I know how hard it is for EMS staff.
    I used to get mad at them for stealing all our food, but an ice storm and me having to work 23 hr shifts made me realize they were on the road almost 24 hrs straight those days. No breaks. I admire you all for all that you do and the risks you take every time you step in that ambulance to help someone :)

Thank you!

• EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    TheRealKit wrote: »

I was an ER nurse for over 13 years and I know how hard it is for EMS staff.
    I used to get mad at them for stealing all our food, but an ice storm and me having to work 23 hr shifts made me realize they were on the road almost 24 hrs straight those days. No breaks. I admire you all for all that you do and the risks you take every time you step in that ambulance to help someone :)

Thank you!

Thank YOU for saying that! We EMSers and ER nurses are the only ones who get what we do! lol And the only food I ever "steal" is what's offered...oh, and coffee, of course. Our ER has the BEST coffee! (Thank God...I don't tolerate bad coffee well.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't really log anymore, but when I did I always pre-logged pretty much everything. That way my day was pretty much planned out...no surprises...I always knew pretty much exactly where I was calorie wise.
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't really log anymore, but when I did I always pre-logged pretty much everything. That way my day was pretty much planned out...no surprises...I always knew pretty much exactly where I was calorie wise.

thank you
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. However, dinner I find difficult to log and then I often estimate calories for that as I cook it from scratch and find it difficult to measure up everything and calculate amount of calories... :)
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Haha...I guess I'm weird. I log my entire week ahead on Sunday. :sweat_smile:
  • TheRealKit
    Options
    Haha...I guess I'm weird. I log my entire week ahead on Sunday. :sweat_smile:
    I plan supper a week ahead for 7 days... It's the Indecisive breakfast thing I have going on some mornings lol

• TheRealKit
    Options
    I log as I go. However, dinner I find difficult to log and then I often estimate calories for that as I cook it from scratch and find it difficult to measure up everything and calculate amount of calories... :)
    I cook almost everything from scratch too. I think it is the best way. You know what actually is going into your meal :)