When your schedule is interrupted

Options
My usual schedule on weekdays is to get my butt to the gym is to get up at five, be in the gym by five thirty, do my workout and have a shower, then get on my day.

For the next few weeks there are going to be some interruptions to this based on some household scheduling. My solution is going to be to work out at night some days (I'm primarily a swimmer, so I kinda need that water to do my thing) and throw in a weekend workout (which I don't usually bother with), but there are other days when the time is not there.

This kind of thing is not usual for my schedule, so I'm not flipping out too much about it. I'll probably throw in a lunchtime walk or something on the days when it's just going to be impossible to get to the gym and call it good. I'd get out the dumbbells at home, but I don't really think weights are a good one-off type exercise.

I was wondering if other people have a strict workout schedule for themselves and what they do when work (or family) commitments blow that out of the water.

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm always tweaking my workout schedule due to work/family commitments. I have 3 children involved in athletics, a job of my own, and a husband who's job can be unpredictable at times (meaning he doesn't always get out on time and can have evening meetings).

As a runner, it's a bit easier for me. I've gotten up and out as early as 3am for a run. I keep a bag of running gear in the car so I can squeeze a run in at any time while I wait for a game to start or a kid to get out of practice. As a swimmer, I would suggest you cross train and do some walking or running on the days you can't get to the pool. It's good to cross train anyway. It will give your shoulders a rest.