Headaches

I have dieted many times before each time including now I get major headaches the first week or so. How do you deal with headaches with out compromising your hard work?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Are you eating enough?
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Are you eating enough?

This^^^^

What is your sodium intake?

Are you getting enough water?

• Have you drastically reduced your caffeine intake? Like reducing the amount of soda you're drinking? I once gave up drinking diet coke. I went from drinking over 2L a day to cold turkey. I have never felt so rough as I felt then. It went once my body had gone through the withdrawals.
  • Mountain Dew is my soda of choice and each time I try to quit it cold turkey. So maybe it is just withdrawal from that.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Mountain Dew is my soda of choice and each time I try to quit it cold turkey. So maybe it is just withdrawal from that.

Try taking advil and tylenol throughout the day to curb the headaches. I had the very same issue when I cut out caffeine. I alternated the advil and tylenol every four hours for about a week and half.

Edit: I don't claim to be a doctor. Only take these over the counter meds if your doctor gives the go ahead.
  • Relajuice
    Relajuice Posts: 24 Member
    Seems like you are going through sugar withdrawals. The reaction you are having is normal. I suggest taking an Aleve and drinking a few ounces of Gatorade and plenty of water. After a few days you should be good to go.
  • PattieCakes25
    PattieCakes25 Posts: 30 Member
    It's probably the sugar and/or caffeine. I have the same exact problem. I drink WAAAAAAY too much soda, and eat too much sugar.
    Maybe eat fruit, since it has natural sugar. And I've found that just having a low dose of advil or tylenol helps. Once you get through the withdrawal, it'll stop and you wont even crave it anymore.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    If you are having headaches, it's because you aren't eating enough.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited November 2014
    Mountain Dew is my soda of choice and each time I try to quit it cold turkey. So maybe it is just withdrawal from that.

Bingo. Here's the problem. You are experiencing sugar/caffeine withdrawal. The symptoms will go away within a week or two. Drink lots of water and take Advil if you need to.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal headaches. Try adding some caffeinated tea back in, that might help ease the headache. Otherwise, just hang on. If you were drinking a lot of that, it could be a couple weeks before the symptoms all fade.

Make sure you are eating enough, and drinking enough water! If I don't do both of those things, I can get headaches and shakes and dizzy. You would think somewhere in this 300lb body there would be extra reserves if I skip breakfast, but nope.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

So every time someone has a headache it's because they're not eating enough?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    arditarose wrote: »

So every time someone has a headache it's because they're not eating enough?

No.

• If you get headaches from caffeine withdrawal, medicines like Excedrin that have caffeine in them help a lot (assuming you can have acetaminophen and aspirin.) They also make caffeine pills (No Doz, etc) if you are ok with caffeine and just cutting back on calories. Sugar-free caffeinated drinks are also pretty good, imo.

A lot of people also get sugar headaches when they diet, so that's something to think about if you are cutting back sugar a lot.