Do you even lift, bro?

Options
Oh you do?
Then help a sista out ;)

2 words: Muscle imbalance...

muscle-imbalance-body.jpg

So I recently started lifting and I realized that my right arm is stronger than my left; my left leg is stronger than my right; and the right half of my back (and abs) is stronger than the left... other than affecting size, this does affect how I lift (obviously) and though I'm trying to lead more with the weaker side, I can't help but wonder if I can be doing more.
How should I go about fixing this?

I assume the answer will be somewhere along the lines of drop weight or do more reps on one side? But then the question is, am I stuck at the weight I'm at until the issue is resolved or can I add more weights and sort of fix as I go?

As background info, the lifts I'm doing right now are deadlift, squat, benchpress, overhead press, machine pull downs, and machine rows. Currently not doing anything with free weights or any accessory lifts

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have balance issues as well - my left side is stronger than my right side. This has a huge impact on the mechanics of my lifts (especially my squat). Although I can do a back squat, I've been spending a lot of time working on weighted step ups, lunges, and front squats. While I do these exercises, I pay particular attention to my form. I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger on my right side. Also, part of the issue is the neurological connections your brain has with muscle tissue on your 'weak side'. Is it possible for you to get an experienced powerlifting coach for 1-2 sessions? They should be able to diagnose the issue and give you exercises.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Unilateral work
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What equipment are you doing those lifts with? You say you don't use free weights....does this mean they're on the smith machine?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you use machines, you need to either use the machines with one arm at a time, or use machines in which each arm is pulling its own weight, so to speak (working independently).
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @fitteacherc yea I'm trying to make more neurological connections by using the weaker side more often (pretty tough, never noticed how much I used my right side for everything lol). As to can I get a coach... I've actually been debating that. I would not like to if I don't have to because of budget, but at the same time I can if I had to I can

@JTick for the other ones barbell. I guess that does technically count as free weights too doesn't it? oops lol

@hadabetter and broscience, should I do that until they're evened out or just as an accessory to what I'm doing and eventually they even out?

• tgmichelleee
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying by the way :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    @fitteacherc yea I'm trying to make more neurological connections by using the weaker side more often (pretty tough, never noticed how much I used my right side for everything lol). As to can I get a coach... I've actually been debating that. I would not like to if I don't have to because of budget, but at the same time I can if I had to I can

@JTick for the other ones barbell. I guess that does technically count as free weights too doesn't it? oops lol

@hadabetter and broscience, should I do that until they're evened out or just as an accessory to what I'm doing and eventually they even out?
    Then I would suggest maybe adding some accessory work with dumbbells. Dumbbells make each side of your body work on its own, especially upper body, and can help even out weaknesses in the body.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

Then I would suggest maybe adding some accessory work with dumbbells. Dumbbells make each side of your body work on its own, especially upper body, and can help even out weaknesses in the body.

Yes
  • tgmichelleee
    Options
    cool cool, thanks guys
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Oh you do?
    Then help a sista out ;)

So I recently started lifting and I realized that my right arm is stronger than my left; my left leg is stronger than my right; and the right half of my back (and abs) is stronger than the left... other than affecting size, this does affect how I lift (obviously) and though I'm trying to lead more with the weaker side, I can't help but wonder if I can be doing more.

I assume the answer will be somewhere along the lines of drop weight or do more reps on one side? But then the question is, am I stuck at the weight I'm at until the issue is resolved or can I add more weights and sort of fix as I go?

As background info, the lifts I'm doing right now are deadlift, squat, benchpress, overhead press, machine pull downs, and machine rows. Currently not doing anything with free weights or any accessory lifts

The advice I read advised to do exercises which separate the sides...like various dumbbell exercises for arms, single-leg squats and lunges for legs, etc. Start with the weak side, and do them til failure...then do the strong side, but only do as many as you finished on the weak side. This will allow your weak side to catch up before enhancing your strong side.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Oh you do?
    Then help a sista out ;)

The advice I read advised to do exercises which separate the sides...like various dumbbell exercises for arms, single-leg squats and lunges for legs, etc. Start with the weak side, and do them til failure...then do the strong side, but only do as many as you finished on the weak side. This will allow your weak side to catch up before enhancing your strong side.

Yes--this is excellent advice.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Everybody does seem to have been remarkably helpful and skirted the obvious onanism innuendo that the image in the OP seems to provoke..... :#
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Everybody does seem to have been remarkably helpful and skirted the obvious onanism innuendo that the image in the OP seems to provoke..... :#

Well, I'm left-handed ;)
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Well, I'm left-handed ;)

I swit....
  • CoolBeans520
    Options
    It's natural for one side to be stronger than the other it will get better over time. Just keep doing those compound workouts(It will also give a crazy strong core!).
  • tgmichelleee
    edited November 2014
    Options

695kFnr.gif

• tgmichelleee
    Options
    It's natural for one side to be stronger than the other it will get better over time. Just keep doing those compound workouts(It will also give a crazy strong core!).

• devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If your imbalance is substantial, maybe go see a chiropractor and see if they can re align you. Other than that, one side of the body is normally weaker than the other