Older and aging Ladies

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on the woman. ive seen plenty of younger women have old hair and plenty of post 40yo's who really should give it up and cut their hair.
    Please elaborate on what constitutes "give it up" status? Anyone feel free to chime in. Wolf doesn't always like to say much. He's shy.

by give it up is when you can see the hair is "dried out", i am probably not using the right vocabulary, but their when it starts to look like straw.

straw is the right vocabulary. it's the word I use when I go to the hairdresser. If I sit in the chair and say my hair has been "straw" like, they figure out whether it needs a trim, color, or deep conditioning or for me to lay off the swimming pool.

It's a valid beauty salon word.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Before I cut my hair off in June, I still wore side pony tails whenever I felt like it and I'm 50! I think whatever suits us is the way to go! The only thing I'd be against are those funky Rooster haircuts and a Mullet on anybody any age! ;p

Your hair is so shiny and pretty in that pic. Funny how you kinda styled it like a side pony anyways.

Thanks Sweetie! :) As I mentioned go with whatever suits us! I happen to be very comfortable in a side part!

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I love it. I recently go new running shoes since I was sick of seeing mine on half the grade six girls at my sons school. The husband pointed out my new shoes are worn by the other half.

And Re: the give it up, I saw a woman last year with a braid down her back to her waist and her hair looked "old" because clearly it hadn't been cut in many years. She would have looked much less tired with a hair cut.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    wow, some ppl are touchy lol.
    i know right? pretty sure she wasn't even in this thread so you couldn't have meant her.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »
    i think it depends on the woman. ive seen plenty of younger women have old hair and plenty of post 40yo's who really should give it up and cut their hair.

lol this is how i feel about old men with dumb tatttoos

YES! But on the other hand, are there any smart tattoos? I don't think so.

einstein tattoo would be smart. also the chinese writing one's, no? spongebob squarepants, definitely dumb.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i know right? pretty sure she wasn't even in this thread so you couldn't have meant her.

i wasnt speaking about anyone in this thread, just ppl in general.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I love it. I recently go new running shoes since I was sick of seeing mine on half the grade six girls at my sons school. The husband pointed out my new shoes are worn by the other half.

And Re: the give it up, I saw a woman last year with a braid down her back to her waist and her hair looked "old" because clearly it hadn't been cut in many years. She would have looked much less tired with a hair cut.

yeah, i know the situation you are referring to, i've seen something like this as well and a cut would just like perk it up right?

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options

i wasnt speaking about anyone in this thread, just ppl in general.

i knew that. i appreciate your opinion.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I actually think the shorter hair on Theron looks like a younger style than the longer hair. It's a pretty trendy cut. And she looks great both ways.

My face does not lend itself to a shorter cut. I just look better with longer hair. If that changes, I'll cut my hair short. I'm not 40 yet, though, so I guess I have time. :-)

My mom actually looks better with longer hair, though, and she's 62. Same with some family friends who are in their 50s and 60s and look fantastic with long hair. Maybe women just get tired of taking care of longer hair?
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    I've worn mine all lengths. Guess the clock is ticking on me with these lockes. I won't do what the herd dictate . . if I feel the need to cut my hair, I will.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Age limits on hair length? Definitely not. After a 'lifetime' of short hair, I started growing mine at 50 and love it. I guess the deeper question is: Why fit yourself into a box full of rules when you are just coming into your own?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I had long hair up until just this past summer and finally got a very short cut. It just so happens I turned 43 this year as well. But my reason was this: after many, many years of dealing with long hair (and my hair is very thick and coarse), I had had enough of it. The planning to wash and dry, style, the hours spent with the hot iron, etc. Not to mention my hair is HOT in the summer because of all that thick hair on my head. And I had worn it long for many years and I run the risk of it thinning at the top due to all the weight dragging down on my scalp. And I do NOT want to be bald or thinning on top. So off it went. Lucky for me my SO has a thing for short hair so he liked it immediately, but his opinion was not really the deciding factor, because it is my hair and my time.

Heat is one of the reasons I frequently feel like cutting my hair. then I don't. I prefer not to wear ponytails due to headaches so sometimes when it's hot i just feel it on my neck all sticky and sweaty and it drives me bonkers. (many things apparently do).

So yeah those are the times I'm tempted to chop it off, but then I look in the mirror and see a head full of lovely and I change my mind back and turn on the A/C.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    I actually think the shorter hair on Theron looks like a younger style than the longer hair. It's a pretty trendy cut. And she looks great both ways.

My face does not lend itself to a shorter cut. I just look better with longer hair. If that changes, I'll cut my hair short. I'm not 40 yet, though, so I guess I have time. :-)

My mom actually looks better with longer hair, though, and she's 62. Same with some family friends who are in their 50s and 60s and look fantastic with long hair. Maybe women just get tired of taking care of longer hair?

OH! your hair is reminding me something people might want to know. My hair was getting so HARD to style and I thought it was super dried out. Then one day hubs took me to his hair place we ran out of time to blow dry after my deep condition. This led to the lady putting curl product in my hair as during a fast hit with the dryer so it wouldn't be drippy she notices my "waves" i thought I had coming in. I was fine with this so I left with wet hair and product, my hair dries fast. Well lo and behold my hair dried up so curly. turns out I have curly hair now (our hair changes a lot over time I guess) and so when I was trying so hard to style it straight without product as I used to it was looking frizzy not from dryness but from wanting to curl back up.

I was born with hair as straight as my avi. but now my hair is curly as your avi.

your curls are gorgeous by the way and now I need to find the product that lady used on my hair that day. I am in LOVE with the idea of just putting product in my hair and letting it dry naturally.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm almost 70 and currently my hair is nape-length. I'm growing it out from super short. Had it long - about half way down my back when I was about 55 and wore it in a braid. Probably will go back to a braid some day, when it gets long enough again.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    besaro wrote: »

lol this is how i feel about old men with dumb tatttoos

YES! But on the other hand, are there any smart tattoos? I don't think so.

einstein tattoo would be smart. also the chinese writing one's, no? spongebob squarepants, definitely dumb.

I think it would be smart to research a tattoo written in Chinese if one feels inexplicably compelled to be branded with one for life. For meaningful reasons.

And one should probably research it thoroughly. I mean, like, make sure it's a high flying excerpt of a Zen philosophical slogan thousands of years old and not Beef With Broccoli With Pork Fried Rice From 11 am 'til 4 pm. No Substitutions.

IDK I think it would be kinda handy (no pun intended) to just walk up and have my order written on my arm to show them and avoid problems from the language barrier all the time.

Beef and broccoli's my fave but I'd have to make sure my tattoo said steam rice instead.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    NK1112 wrote: »
    Well, I'm almost 70 and currently my hair is nape-length. I'm growing it out from super short. Had it long - about half way down my back when I was about 55 and wore it in a braid. Probably will go back to a braid some day, when it gets long enough again.

Now I have to google nape. BrB.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    N2Couture wrote: »
    I've worn mine all lengths. Guess the clock is ticking on me with these lockes. I won't do what the herd dictate . . if I feel the need to cut my hair, I will.
    yeah do what you want. it's the MFP way!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    [/quote]
    IDK I think it would be kinda handy (no pun intended) to just walk up and have my order written on my arm to show them and avoid problems from the language barrier all the time.

Beef and broccoli's my fave but I'd have to make sure my tattoo said steam rice instead.
    [/quote]

Haha. Best.answer.ever
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Age limits on hair length? Definitely not. After a 'lifetime' of short hair, I started growing mine at 50 and love it. I guess the deeper question is: Why fit yourself into a box full of rules when you are just coming into your own?

I REALLY like your attitude toward getting to 50. I've always admired the red hat society ladies from afar and also my aunt who uses her age to get away with saying the most haylarious shet. LOVE sitting next to her at parties. There are distinct advantages to aging, hair concerns aside.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Please elaborate on what constitutes "give it up" status? Anyone feel free to chime in. Wolf doesn't always like to say much. He's shy.

I'm thinking maybe he's wanting someone to make him feel better because he shaves his head, perhaps? Am I in the right ballpark? *peers into my crystal ball for guidance*