help with maintenance

Options
once I lose my last 5, I want to go on maintain. I will change it here, my question is, do I still eat below the calories, eat over or what? Confused...thanks. I also do home workouts.

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Once you maintain, you eat those calories, not below or you will continue to lose. If you eat over you will gain.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I eat all of my maintenance calories then 1/2 or more of my excersize calories.. I am maintaining at a low weight though to a point where I don't want to lose another pound!! Not even 1 pound! So guess if you are okay with losing a couple of pounds you could leave a few spare.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on eating just under my goal ... to allow room for the odd social occasion or heavier night out once in a while. Overall, if I do it perfectly (I won't), I'll be right on the nose.

What's important is that you continue logging and monitoring and make adjustments as you notice things happening.
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ok great info thank you!!! I will try to eat all the calories....if not, leave a few for binge...lol
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Not a binge, a treat :) I've been doing the maintenance thing for several years now but my days vary. I am normally always under my calories for the day, whether that be by 200 or 600, it just depends. The only day that differs is Saturday because that is my day off. I still work out but I don't log my calories and I eat whatever I want. I call it my mental health day :p Once you get to that point where you're maintaining you are probably going to try a few things and eventually, through trial and error, you will find what works for you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i am maintaining and eat below my cals monday -thursday so i can eat more over the weekend when i go out. as long as i hit my weekly goal, i'm happy.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i am maintaining and eat below my cals monday -thursday so i can eat more over the weekend when i go out. as long as i hit my weekly goal, i'm happy.

I'm similar, with extra weekend calories going to wine. Or margaritas. Cheers!

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I'm similar, with extra weekend calories going to wine. Or margaritas. Cheers!

x3 :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm still finding my way, so I try to stick really closely to my calories, so I can actually figure out how many I need. It does feel weird trying to aim at a certain calorie level, not to go for a deficit.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I work to weekly calories generally but I eat ALL my calories within that time frame.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I work to weekly calories generally but I eat ALL my calories within that time frame.
    -- THIS. I agree. I just try to lead a healthy lifestyle, logging and eating back exercise calories. Some days I'm under, some days I'm a little over. Using a Fitbit that is synced to MFP, and logging daily keeps me in line on a weekly glance. I only weigh weekly, on SUN AM. As a two-year maintainer -- I like to stay in a five pound range, right around a number that is in the healthy range for my size, and about 20-22% body fat.

Honestly, I think you have to look at your exercise level first -- what do you have the time and inclination to keep up on a weekly basis. How much are you comfortable burning? Then, figure out how many calories you need to eat over a week-long period to maintain the healthy body composition you want. Then, aim to eat at that level, and log to keep on track.