Stopped loosing weight and need advice

Hi,

I'm resuming week 3 insanity tomorrow and over the past few weeks I'm eating on average 1,200 calories a day which consists of 3 meals and 2 snacks but I'm not loosing any weight now and I'm getting disheartened, especially when a girl at work has lost 4 stone and not done any exercise! I want to loose 10kg, can anyone help me? :(

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Have you entered your stats into a TDEE calculator?

Do you eat many processed foods with a high sodium content?

Are you using a food scale to weigh the foods you are consuming?

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    exercise doesn't make you lose weight, eating at a caloric deficit makes you lose weight. As libby said, figure out your TDEE (or calculate non-exercise maintenance needs, subtract 20% or less, and then eat that and log exericse cals and eat those back), buy a food scale to ensure accuracy, and reduce intake of high-sodium items if you retain water easily.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Give it time. You just started a new fitness program and most likely are retaining water. Also with insanity 1200 calories is just way to low and not enough to sustain you or give you the proper nutrients. You should be eating according to the nutrition guide.

Your friend lost weight cause she ate in a calorie deficit. Exercise is not for weight loss.

I did not lose weight when I did insanity, but i did lose inches.

Make sure you are weighing and measuring your food. Stay consistent.
  • claireb12
    claireb12 Posts: 65 Member
    What's TDEE?
    I suppose I'd i burn on average 550 calories a day I should be aiming for 1,750 calorie consumption? I currently weigh 79.9kg and 5ft 9ins, I want to weigh 70kg though x
  • libbydoodle11
    claireb12 wrote: »
    What's TDEE?
    I suppose I'd i burn on average 550 calories a day I should be aiming for 1,750 calorie consumption? I currently weigh 79.9kg and 5ft 9ins, I want to weigh 70kg though x

Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Do you weigh your food? If not, you really have no clue how much you really eat.
  • claireb12
    Yep I weigh my food and track my calories, I think I need to eat more (healthy) calories though. I'm going to give it a go from tomorrow, 1,200 calories plus 550 calories (1,750 in total) and see how I get on, thank you for the support everyone :-)
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Eating more food will not result in faster weight loss.
  • libbydoodle11
    Yep I weigh my food and track my calories, I think I need to eat more (healthy) calories though. I'm going to give it a go from tomorrow, 1,200 calories plus 550 calories (1,750 in total) and see how I get on, thank you for the support everyone :-)

Sounds like a good idea. Be consistent and look at your progress over an 8 week period. You can always adjust. Give it time.

• claireb12
    z_bra wrote: »

I'm getting confused, I thought I need to eat more calories?

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member

It's not about having faster results. If you were not exercising at all then fine eat 1200 if you must. It's the minimum calorie intake a women should have. The point is you are doing Insanity, therefore the higher calories are needed. It is a very intense workout. So yes you should up your calories to TDEE - 20%. You eat that daily and do not eat back exercise calories. Stay consistent and give it time.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Nope, you need to eat less than you burn a day. Not anymore complicated than that :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    If you are not weighing and measuring, you have no idea how much your really eating. This being the case, if you're not losing, you're eating too much.
  • Do you think the TDEE system is a scam?
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member

No, weight loss is a calorie deficit. Your body needs to burn more calories then you are putting into it. If you eat more it kind of defeats the purpose of a deficit.