Heart rate monitors for workouts that are not running/walking

Options
Hi all! Is there a heart rate monitor that will measure calories burned in a workout class like a step class or weight lifting class? I am currently researching all the wrist trackers and trying to figure out if they can measure this type of workout. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    none that can be accurate enough that you can trust
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Despite the above posted popular opinions....

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT80

It's a question about how much money you are willing to hand over for a HR monitor that's made for what you are asking for.
    Personally, I wear my Polar H7 for all types of exercises. The phone app that I'm using (Polar Beat) has, among other sports, a setting for strength training. I often lift in the top 2 of 5 heart rate zones for an average session of 1 hour. Average heart rate is up to 145, depending on workout. I call that cardio without actually having to be on a treadmill....lol.
    BTW, the H7 is available for under $70, and will run with a selection of smart phones.

Happy training!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The Polar marketing doesn't overcome the fact that none of their devices are actually programmed to accurately calculate non-steady state activities or weight lifting. The basic science isn't there to do it ... the relationships between HR, exertion, and caloric burn aren't there.

• MeanderingMammal
    edited November 2014
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »

Marketeers. Third up against the wall, come the time of the glorious revolution.

The point is a heart rate monitor will tell you what your heart rate is doing during any training, give you recovery times etc reasonably reliably if it has that functionality.

You'll note that page makes no claim, in any depth, for calorie expenditure approximation, which was the basic question. It has the same strapline as all the other Polar devices without any supporting analysis of what that means; the calorie count is inaccurate when one isn't training for the purpose for which it was designed.

• MeanderingMammal
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double tapped
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think a HRM would be better for a step class and Body Pump type class than for walking. 'Regular' weight lifting, not so much.