Loss of appetite from meds

Options
Hey everyone. I haven't logged in for a while, I got to my goal weight in late August and didn't have any trouble maintaining. Now I'm on a lot of medication for my depression, and it has made my appetite really small. I lost 2 pounds, which I know isn't significant, but it's honestly been a struggle to know if I've eaten enough in one day because my appetite has been dulled. Has anyone else experienced this as a side effect of medication? I'm on Wellbutrin, Klonopin, and Lamictal.

Replies

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My Adderall makes it hard to meet a calorie goal. I didn't notice any problems with the Welbutrin or Klonopin though. I remember from nursing school that Lamictal can cause depressed appetite.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    fairly common for medication to effect one's appetite.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty normal contraindication of these drugs, but if it doesn't stable out after a month, I would consult your doctor.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Those medications suggest its not just depression you have. If you want to friend me and PM me, we can have a conversation offline.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions after talking to your doctor. Keep snacks or small meals handy: granola or similar bars, pudding, yogurt, chocolate, peanut butter, crackers, some cut up fruit to keep in the fridge or a baggie, cheese sticks, . . .
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started Wellbutrin last week, and haven't had the best appetite. Not complaining at the moment though, I still have a long way to go. I agree with the suggestion of keeping snacks handy. Peanut butter seems to pack a lot of calories in just a tablespoon, so that might be something to keep handy.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The loss of appetite side effect from Wellbutrin goes away after a couple of weeks. If after a month or so, you're still not happy with the side effects, see your doctor. However, most other anti-depressants *increase* your appetite, so Wellbutrin is the preferred med for people with depression who don't want to gain weight.