Should I even bother with protein shakes?

Options
Hey,

I have lost nearly 90 pounds following a sustainable high protein, low carb diet and exercising. I am aiming to get around 100g protein/day, which is roughly 35% of my intake (35% fat, 30% carb).

Some days I notice I am low on protein and have a protein shake (usually BioX chocolate complex protein) in the evening to boost my stats. Is this really doing anything for me other than making me feel better about MFP numbers for the day? Is it worth it to drink a shake in the evening when your activities/exercise are mainly done for the day?

Thanks - new to protein drinks and caring about what I eat, I really have no idea what I'm doing but it seems to be working.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd skip it if you're not hungry, personally, but if you're hungry, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    If you're not trying to gain muscle and you're not hungry, you probably don't need the protein shake. By the point you're drinking it, you won't be replacing your carbs or fats for the day -- you're just adding more protein and calories. Honestly, even if you do want more protein, it's probably healthier to eat whole foods like a piece of chicken or fish.
  • katiequeen33
    katiequeen33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you're not working out too much then I would stay away from protein shakes. If you do not get the proper exercise in, then the protein will make you gain weight. Protein shakes are great right after a workout, because that's when your muscles need the protein the most. But as stated above, don't drink them unless you're hungry because they also consume a decent amount of calories depending on what you're putting in them.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing to reach my macros. I also have been wondering this very question, especially in the evenings when I'm not hungry. I am guessing your question is, "is it better to eat less calories or reach your macro goals for the day?"
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I drink shakes or protein bars to reach my protein goal because I generally don't eat enough protein and it was messing up my macros. If you are getting enough protein on most days without it then it's no big deal. If you aren't hungry I certainly wouldn't bother! But I will drink a shake in the evening sometimes to ward off a snack attack. Works nicely!
  • aamber02
    aamber02 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll keep it up when I'm craving an evening snack as they are far healthier than what I'm craving but will opt out when I'm drinking them just to hit a certain number.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "I have lost nearly 90 pounds following a sustainable high protein, low carb diet and exercising. I am aiming to get around 100g protein/day, which is roughly 35% of my intake (35% fat, 30% carb)."

This is not strictly true. You lost 90 pounds eating at a calorie deficit, not because of high protein. So in answer to your question, no you probably dont need to bother with them. They are more for sports dietary requirements.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    "I have lost nearly 90 pounds following a sustainable high protein, low carb diet and exercising. I am aiming to get around 100g protein/day, which is roughly 35% of my intake (35% fat, 30% carb)."

This is not strictly true. You lost 90 pounds eating at a calorie deficit, not because of high protein. So in answer to your question, no you probably dont need to bother with them. They are more for sports dietary requirements.

Uhm yeah, but if the high protein diet is what led the OP to acheiving a sustainable calorie deficit . . . .
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    aamber02 wrote: »
    Hey,

I have lost nearly 90 pounds following a sustainable high protein, low carb diet and exercising. I am aiming to get around 100g protein/day, which is roughly 35% of my intake (35% fat, 30% carb).

Some days I notice I am low on protein and have a protein shake (usually BioX chocolate complex protein) in the evening to boost my stats. Is this really doing anything for me other than making me feel better about MFP numbers for the day? Is it worth it to drink a shake in the evening when your activities/exercise are mainly done for the day?

Thanks - new to protein drinks and caring about what I eat, I really have no idea what I'm doing but it seems to be working.

OP, if you're losing weight while exercising then it's important to get close to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. That may be more than you need, but most study's show that's sufficient to minimize loss of muscle while burning fat.

If you're just maintaining or gaining, then you don't need as much protein.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a convenient fast protein source, but you dont need them you can still have yogurt, cottage cheese, turkey, jerky, protein bars, tuna etc. there is nothing magic about them
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you're not working out too much then I would stay away from protein shakes. If you do not get the proper exercise in, then the protein will make you gain weight.

Exercising or not, protein will not make you gain weight, if you go over your calorie limit, that will cause weight gain.
    Thanks for the information. I'll keep it up when I'm craving an evening snack as they are far healthier than what I'm craving but will opt out when I'm drinking them just to hit a certain number.

OP this is your best bet. Also your kitten is adorable :D
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »

Uhm yeah, but if the high protein diet is what led the OP to acheiving a sustainable calorie deficit . . . .

The point is that the OP seems to mention that protein is the holy grail and not calorie deficit, right?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Is this really doing anything for me other than making me feel better about MFP numbers for the day?
    IMO the latter...
    Is it worth it to drink a shake in the evening when your activities/exercise are mainly done for the day?
    IMO skip it. Some days you are going to be under and some days over. Don't overthink it.