Assistance with body / weight charts

Options
I have an issue and I'm fairly sure others have come across this: body / weight charts just dont seem to fit my goal and body shape.

I am 5 ft 7 inch tall and according to any charts I look at my ideal weight range is from about 8 stone to around 11 stone 7 lb. Problem is that I've been these weights before and even at the heaviest end I look gaunt and I look, and feel, far to light for my own good. I'm aiming for a weight of about 12 stone 7 lb but according to the charts I'll be in the "overweight" range.

Is there some other more reliable way to check ideal weight / hight ranges thats anyone knows about? Or am I going wrong somewhere?

Replies

• butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    most body weight charts are based around BMI (body mass index) and are purely a ratio of height to weight.

Whilst it is a reasonable "catch-all" for the masses, it isn't great for individuals. Athletes who are muscular will often be categorised as overweight or even obese by some standards using the BMI alone. It's a singlular calculation and just one metric (though sadly is the one that most life insurance companies use).

According to BMI I'm now down from Obese into the very high end of Overweight (208lbs at 180cm [5'11] ) ..... I think I'd look "very ill" if I was to lose another 24lb to get into "normal" ...

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    BMI is often used by health professionals in combination with other measurements, such as waist measurement (which gives an idea of how much 'damaging' fat you carry). So aslong as your waist measurement is healthy and you look after your cardiovascular health aswell then being in the overweight range probably isn't going to hurt, Like butlersoft said, it's not a great tool for individuals.

HOWEVER, If you are in any higher risk groups for heart diseases (smoker, previously had a heart attack, diabetic, some ethnic groups etc.) then being in the 'normal' weight range really reduces your likelyhood of heart disease.
    Really, aslong as you're all round healthy where you fall on one chart isn't going to kill you.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    butlersoft wrote: »
    most body weight charts are based around BMI (body mass index) and are purely a ratio of height to weight.

Whilst it is a reasonable "catch-all" for the masses, it isn't great for individuals. Athletes who are muscular will often be categorised as overweight or even obese by some standards using the BMI alone. It's a singlular calculation and just one metric (though sadly is the one that most life insurance companies use).

According to BMI I'm now down from Obese into the very high end of Overweight (208lbs at 180cm [5'11] ) ..... I think I'd look "very ill" if I was to lose another 24lb to get into "normal" ...

While what you say if factually correct, I think it often is used as an excuse for people (most of whom are not "muscular athletes") to remain unhealthy.

I agree that BMI is not perfect, but it is easier to calculate than better methods such as body fat %.

For people like OP (who does not seem to fit the very tall or muscular athlete criteria where BMI would lose a lot of value) I think it is a helpful metric.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5" and I've seen charts that say I should weigh no more than 190lbs. I've been 190lbs and I looked too thin. At the high end of the "normal" on the chart at http://40plusstyle.com/how-much-should-i-weigh-for-my-height-and-age/ I am about where I think I ought to be. At least, that was the case the last time I was that weight. My legs have a thicker muscles than I had then, so I expect my ideal weight may be a little higher than before. I intend to aim for 208 lbs and reevaluate when I get closer to that weight.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9 and 76kg/ 12 stone, decided this was light enough so I've been on maintenance since..
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    butlersoft wrote: »

While what you say if factually correct, I think it often is used as an excuse for people (most of whom are not "muscular athletes") to remain unhealthy.

I agree that BMI is not perfect, but it is easier to calculate than better methods such as body fat %.

For people like OP (who does not seem to fit the very tall or muscular athlete criteria where BMI would lose a lot of value) I think it is a helpful metric.

agree.
    i too look gaunt,but only because i have been used to seeing my fat face in a mirror for 30 years.
    i am now growing a beard to give my face a bit of definition whilst i reduce further.
    have worked hard to get down from morbidly obese to overweight currently,being in the normal range for the rest of my life will extend my quality of life.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 - keep being told to stop losing weight but I'm still 10lbs away from a BMI of 25 if I consider I have an average frame. With a large frame, judging by my height and wrist size, my weight is well within the healthy BMI

I'm kind of happy here (size 8-10 US) but want to see how I look a little lower so I'm just going to see what happens at average frame at 25 .. but not sweat it unduly

I think as an individual you have to take it with a pinch of salt and a bit of reality
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    These charts are all averages, not considering the individuals bone structure or muscle mass. Get to where you're comfortable with yourself.
  • CoolBeans520
    Options
    BMI charts are inaccurate because it only calculates weight vs height. For example according to BMI chart said i was almost morbid obese being 6'1 230 lbs(I have tree trunk legs) but you can obviously tell by my profile picture that I'm far from it. Body fat percentage is far more accurate which lean muscle mass to body fat ratio.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks, thanks for the feedback. I see i'm not the only one that feels BMI may not be an ideal way of calculating "proper" weight / hight ratio. However, I do take on board what some are saying; that some people may be tempted to ignore it when they actually do have to lose weight. Thanks Timothyfish for the web link I'll be checking that out!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    BMI = good for populations
    BMI <> not so good for individuals. maybe for ballparking it.

but it's a population level measure when it's at its best