Gastric Bypass - I dont understand

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    In a way I agree with you, but I wanted to comment on the quitting smoking thing. I quit cold turkey too. It was hard, but it got easier because I didn't have to keep exposing myself to cigarettes. Food is different because you HAVE to eat every day, which makes it easier to slide back into old habits. It is a constant battle, not something that you can just get over. Just my two cents.

I've heard this said many times but the other side of it for any addiction is the food, alcohol, drugs, cigs, gambling etc...it's all around ppl if they go anywhere. You can gamble at any convenience store, liquor on every corner, drugs all around us and on and on it goes.

Yes our body needs nourishment but to give up cigs, alcohol etc. certainly doesn't seem like it would be any easier than making the choice to eat only healthier foods.

Least that's what comes to mind to me when I see ppl compare addictions...
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is just downright mean for a person to sit at their compute and say people who have weight loss surgery are lazy. Who are you to judge people on how they live their lives? If you know a person who admitted that they would rather do it that way, then judge that person because you know him or her personally. Then still, who are you to judge? I know 6 people who had it. Its not going to make sense to you how they could lose the weight for the procedure just to have the procedure. It's their lives and whatever it takes for them, they do it, even if they fail. And who among us have not failed ever so often in our quest for lose weight? People need to stop judging people that they dont even know.
  • dlcoggin
    dlcoggin Posts: 1
    Options
    Obesity is a progressive, life-threatening disease that is the number two cause of preventable death in the U.S. When considering treatment options for any life-threatening disease, the question is not how easy or hard any given option is. The question is what is the most effective option with the greatest chance of successfully resolving the disease. Gastric bypass surgery is the single most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity and more than 30 co-morbidities associated with obesity - by a very wide margin. Its success rate, safety and effectiveness are supported by more than 30 years of clinical studies involving tens of thousands of patients from all over the world. And for those who qualify, it is endorsed by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the Institute of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, the World Health Organization, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the National Institute of Health, and many, many other highly respected universities and organizations.

Countless research studies, including one performed by Medicare, have shown that "diet and exercise" for folks with a BMI of 30 or greater has a failure rate approaching 100%. It simply does not work. And doctors have known for years that it doesn't work. They simply had no other option to offer. Recent research is beginning to shed some light on why it doesn't work but there are still many unanswered questions.

The decision to have surgery, any surgery, is an intensely personal one that should involve careful consideration of many factors. Negative comments from those who are foolish enough, ignorant enough, or just plain egotistical enough to believe they have the knowledge and expertise to voice an opinion about something as complex as bariatric surgery is the height of absurdity. I don't doubt that their motives are well intentioned. But I do challenge anyone to offer any equally or more effective alternative that is supported by the science and exhaustive research behind bariatric surgery.

Is it a magic bullet? Absolutely not. It is a tool that when combined with the all-important lifestyle changes, is saving lives and improving the quality of life for countless individuals. Can the surgery be defeated? Yes it can - but the success rate up to six years post-op is about 85%. Are there risks? There are risks with any surgery and bariatric surgery is no exception. But the mortality rate for bariatric surgery is about two in every 10,000 surgeries. The rate of serious complications (non life-threatening) is about 7%. And the rate of minor complications is about 15%. The bottom line is that the chances of having a successful outcome is overwhelmingly in your favor.
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think unless people come to terms with the emotional issues for why they have gotten so heavy, either option can be successful. Without dealing with those emotional issues, a person is rarely successful. I don't understand why doctors do not try to make people seek counselling prior to scheduling them for this surgery to ensure that they are prepared for the risk they are undertaking. You're cutting open someone's stomach and forcing them to change their entire thoughts about food or otherwise, they will get sick. I think you really need to be psychologically ready for things like that and to understand that this means your whole life will change. Sadly, I think that they allow teens to have the surgery when they shouldn't yet. These people aren't finished forming and growing and maturing, so I feel like it is giving them a tool that they might not yet have the maturity to handle.

We all probably know someone who had the surgery. Someone I know who has had it was an alcoholic and gained a lot of weight from alcohol. They had the surgery and regained weight because the alcoholism was still there even though they should not have been drinking after the surgery. One year later, they brought back the booze and the pounds. Why was the doctor not adamant that they treat the alcoholism first and then perform the bypass?

Each person is different and if someone asks an opinion about it, they're entitled to give it. If you research it, you really can find evidence going for it or against it and it is a personal decision made between patient and doctor, but there are a lot of doctors out there who don't explain everything to people. Even then, if you don't deal with your issues that cause you to gain weight (emotional/stress eating, bad eating habits, convenience, money), I think it is difficult to maintain weight loss whether it be by natural methods or by surgery.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I just appreciate the fact that so many people are willing to share their experiences here, knowing full well the amount of likely judgment they will be dealing with. I have every intention of attending a seminar soon so that I can take advantage of the other aspects of the pre-surgical care involved although I am not planning on getting any surgery. Nutritionist? Counselling? Count me in for sure. Judging you for making the decision that you feel is best for your personal health? Count me out. Not my job. I get judged enough for being the size that I am.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This is the same man that quit smoking cold turkey - the will power is there. I dont get it.

As a slight aside, as an ex-smoker and currently morbidly obese (but at last doing something about it) I get it. On a very simple level to stop smoking you just don't pick up a cigarette and smoke it. The same isn't true for food, you can't just stop eating and so the temptation is always there to eat too much or the wrong thing. Plus for many people like me food is intrinsically linked with emotions be them good or bad - who's Mum used to cook their favourite meal for their birthday? Who when felling down reaches for chocolate? Who has 'comfort' food for when they aren't feeling well or its cold outside? This is much more so than with smoking because it goes right back to childhood. So I understand why someone can stop smoking but can't beat a food addiction.

Personally (and its just how I feel for me) I'd never consider surgery to 'fix' my weight problem as I know for me I have had to sort out my head with regard to my emotional view to food. Now I think I have, losing the weight through diet and exercise feels like the way to do it. In part to truly learn what I can eat and how much I can eat and in part to prove to myself I can lose and keep of the weight.
  • momoftwomonsters
    Options
    You guys, I know its hard to understand why these people go under the knife. But, ask yourself this: Have you ever been truly obese, morbid even? Have you had a weight problem since you were a small child? If your answer is "NO", then you will never understand what its like to feel like that way. Desolate. I have considered many times to go under the knife. Mostly, because I have been extremely obese since I was around 3 years old. I have struggled to keep my weight at bay forever. I'm just tired of the struggle. I feel like many people do basic daily workouts and watch their portions and are still able to maintain a decent weight range. But, for me, I have to exercise like a psycho and not consume any sugar or carbs at all just to stay under 200lbs. Now, ask yourself, how desperate would you get if you were me.

Now, I'm not judging the judgers, but just trying to open your eyes a little. It's not always as easy as it may seem.

Thanks for reading!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you walk in my shoes before you paint me and other WLS patients with such a broad brush, but I'm not willing to let you borrow my shoes. If you want to learn more about it, have the decency to be open to educating yourself instead of being close minded...and wrong in your assumptions.

I do not envy you. I know that your choice requires a huge commitment, physically and mentally.

I was offered gastric bypass surgery by my doctor. I DID educate myself. As a retired RN, I had some concerns about any surgery on my internal organs. I knew that this type of surgery was not going to be 'the magic bullet'...'the quick fix'. This was a lifetime commitment to an irreversible procedure.

I had some of other concerns, beyond the medical information provided. Four people among my in-laws and a young (23 year old) friend had various forms of the gastric surgeries, from banding to bypass. All of them had rapidly loss large amounts of weight (ranging from 100 to 200+ pounds). However, all but one of those people has regained most if not all of their pre-op weight. The 23 year old lost and gained all of her weight back in the same 2 years.

One of my sister-in-laws didn't make it through the whole surgery. She developed complications during the surgery and ended up in coma for a couple of weeks. She has had ongoing problems related to that surgery and never did lose any weight, except during the coma. She still lives with post-op problems.

Of course, this was an extreme case of complications for just one individual; but it points out the obvious. Surgery...any surgery...has risks and can lead to life changing complications. It is just a matter of how far are you willing to go to achieve your weight loss goal; and are you willing to accept the responsibility of that decision, because nothing is free. There is a 'cost' for every decision that you make.

For me, the choice was "no gastric surgery". I am losing weight with the goal of getting double knee replacement surgeries. That means, I will be having 2 surgeries in the future; but I chose to lose my weight, using the old fashioned, counting calories method. It is slower, but I felt a better choice for me.

To all of you that had the gastric types of surgeries/procedure, I wish you well with your choice and pray that you will be blessed in your new life style. I know that it won't be easy.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think it depends upon the person. My sister in law had it done, I watched her. It was not an easy road. Not a road I could take mentally. She did great for a while and did exactly what the doctor said. As time passed she was not as disciplined and gained a lot (not all) of the weight back. She is also suffering from vitamin deficiencies now because her system does not property absorb what she eats. It is causing her to suffer terrible migraines. Now she has to try and climb the weight loss hill all over again.

I say to each his own. I don't think it's a quick fix. I think it takes more of a mental toll than some people realize. I think for some people who are morbidly obese it's their only solution to staying alive because their heart can not take the strain of the extra weight. All I do know is that it is not for me. Not judging anyone who has it. I have a friend who had it done and is doing great and is happier than she has ever been. Again, to each his own.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that surgery isn't the easy way out but I truly believe that it is. They want microwave results and surgery does that for them. Its like having their jaw wired shut, they have no choice but to lose the weight whereas the rest of us count calories & workout in the hopes that we will shed a whopping 1 pound a week. They could do this too, but they choose not to. WHY?

It is a huge accomplishment that I am looking forward to, to be able to say that I've lost 100 pounds without lapband or bypass!
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    I recently heard a commercial for the lap band, it was this washed out (ghostly looking) Dr, he said the lap band is great for people who need to lose as LITTLE as 30lbs......

Idk about you if I had just 30lbs to lose I wouldn't get surgery.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that surgery isn't the easy way out but I truly believe that it is. They want microwave results and surgery does that for them. Its like having their jaw wired shut, they have no choice but to lose the weight whereas the rest of us count calories & workout in the hopes that we will shed a whopping 1 pound a week. They could do this too, but they choose not to. WHY?

It is a huge accomplishment that I am looking forward to, to be able to say that I've lost 100 pounds without lapband or bypass!

pft.. I lost 70 pound before my surgery and 30 since... I am PROUD of every single one of those pounds and I still count all my calories and work out.... I just do it now with a smaller stomach.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the hardest thing anyone will ever do. I had it. It's not easy, it's not magic. It doesn't fix anything except the amount you can eat. I could at a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting and not feeling full.
    It's given me the chance to eat normal healthy amounts f food.
    Work out 6 days a week and watch what I eat, amounts and quality. I don't eat junk. Don't keep it around.
  • Katina3333
    Options
    So you're saying that getting the surgery helps you limit how much you can eat, but it doesn't fix anything, but for those of us that don't have surgery... don't we have to limit ourselves. How is that not harder? It obviously is, otherwise everybody would do it this way instead of having the surgery.

So if you lost 70, why not continue on for the next 30? I workout and count calories with a smaller stomach too... a stomach that I made shrink with discipline and perseverance.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

pft.. I lost 70 pound before my surgery and 30 since... I am PROUD of every single one of those pounds and I still count all my calories and work out.... I just do it now with a smaller stomach.

Good for you! I'm proud of you too. Every pound you lose is just as good as someone who hasn't had surgery. I think the surgery bashers just like to feel superior, don't mind them :)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Didn't you say he gained the wt back and MORE! Well, surgery may be able to help him. Actually, you seem very judgmental, if he makes this choice for himself after due consideration, then why should you care. If you are a friend, then, if he asks for your input, tell him what you think and feel. After that just support his decision, if you can not support his decision, then at least respect his right to make his decision and just be quiet. Everyone is not on the same path.

ETA: I do not think that WLS is the easy way out...it is hard! BUT I also know that having WLS losing wt is much easier than those who are doing it w/o WLS. Don't get it wrong WLS IS easier than controlling your own diet and exercise, if it were not easier why have it!!!? Nobody is the loser either way except the grave! And no one should have a sense of superiority except the person who has attained excellent health...by any means necessary!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    So you're saying that getting the surgery helps you limit how much you can eat, but it doesn't fix anything, but for those of us that don't have surgery... don't we have to limit ourselves. How is that not harder? It obviously is, otherwise everybody would do it this way instead of having the surgery.

So if you lost 70, why not continue on for the next 30? I workout and count calories with a smaller stomach too... a stomach that I made shrink with discipline and perseverance.

Good for you that you were able to shrink your stomach and are now comfortable eating within the caloric limit your body requires.. I hope this continues for you even after you meet your goals. This was not the case for me and the surgery gives me the extra boost that helps me stick with eating at a deficit without feeling hungry all the time. I won't say it made it easy....saying "no" to your favorite foods, is not easy, going out to exercise in the rain, or snow, or excessive heat is not easy. Figuring out if your hunger is in your head or your belly is not easy... These are all HARD things to do.. So if I can make the actual physical hunger aspect of the journey LESS hard and give myself a greater chance at long term success.. then that's exactly what I'm going to do.

You know when my sister was in labor she wanted to do it without any drugs or epidural. It was a tough labor.. half way through one of the nurses said to her "What are you doing? You know nobody is going to give you a medal for not having an epidural" I realized that applies to my weight loss journey as well... If you want bragging rights to run around and say "Look at me.. I'm so disciplined I did it WITHOUT SURGERY" fantastic.. you can mint yourself a medal and wear it proudly...If you manage to keep your weight off, you'll be in an extremely small minority, so you SHOULD feel proud. For me this is not a game and it's not about bragging rights.
  • Katina3333
    Options
    If being proud of what you've accomplished is just a bragging game then I think they need to change the success stories area to the I'd like to brag about myself section. :laugh:

I agree that some people absolutely can't or won't do this without the help of the surgery, my mom being one of them. She's had both knees replaced and is diabetic, she really needs to get some weight off at any cost. Did she have an opportunity to do it without WLS, absolutely... has that time passed, probably, now she just needs some extra help.

Stevie Wonder playing piano as beautifully as he did without the tool of his eyes was a great accomplishment. Would it be bragging for him to be proud of that... so what if it is, its his accomplishment.

Do I need a medal for losing my weight without WLS... nope, the look of shock I get from people & the encouragement that I give to them is all I need.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of having a gastric bypass. I eat healthy and workout yet I can lose any weight unless I completely 100% quit eating. That is no way to live. With the gastric bypass, when they shorten the intestines it changes the hormones that are released and the way the body uses those hormones...it also changes the hormones in your stomach so you never feel hungry. For me, the bypass is my last hope.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

This is the same man that quit smoking cold turkey - the will power is there. I dont get it.

Current research suggests that people do not have unlimited will power. Maybe after quitting smoking, he didn't have the emotional resources to lose weight and maintain it. It sounds as if he's tried very hard in the past. If he doesn't change his habits after the surgery he'll be in trouble.