Clean eating

Options

Replies

• mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I say don't cut everything out at once, you'll drive yourself crazy. Just remember portion is key. If you cut everything out, you're going to end up binging.

take little steps such as:
    no more soda or anything other then water
    always have fruit and veggies on hand
    premake your meals for the week (I make salads every sunday for lunch during the week)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    angelb1983 wrote: »
    lemurcat, this is why I get so confused. It is all the rules associated with differing viewpoints on what "clean" or "whole" is. I can't see myself giving up every processed food if yogurt is even considered processed. My goal, I suppose, is to eat less boxed foods, less out to eat, and more foods that actually have a nutritional value. I guess I am not sure if that is "clean" or "whole" after all.

I would say that your goal is to eat more from whole foods. I think that's a perfectly sensible goal, one that is consistent with how I too like to eat, even though I hate the term "clean" for food, and even though I don't think that all processed foods are bad or unhealthy. I include in my diet various processed foods that I think are healthy or help me meet my nutrition goals (and also some I just like, like ice cream and fancy chocolate). I also include in my diet (sparingly) various homemade treats that I love, as a special treat on holidays or for some other dinner party, like the apple crisp I'll probably make on Thanksgiving. I don't think those are somehow more consistent with a weight loss plan than a store bought treat (although I am partial to homemade for personal reasons). They are also relatively calorie dense for the amount of nutritional benefits. But I think a diet (in the sense of foods that we eat) that wouldn't allow them ever would be, well, not one I'm interested in.
  • I do clean eating and have lost on average 4pounds every month.

For me clean eating is no processed food, no fizzy drinks, eating brown instead of white. Eating lots of veg (being a vegeatarian helps!)Having a balanced meal of fat carb n protein

Breakfast - eggs any variety, toast with cashew butter, smoothie (spinach, kale, apple banana pear)

Eating out is good too, but just save it for the cheat day
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    clean eating threads usually turn into mocking, adolescent, train wrecks where folks become obtuse for "fun".

I disagree. People dislike being told that they don't care about health or eat "unclean" foods just because they don't share certain debateable (at best) premises, like that grains are bad or that all processed foods are bad or (most weird) that oatmeal and store-bought yogurt aren't really processed.

Why can't people share ideas about healthy eating more broadly instead of insisting that they exchange ideas only with those who self-identify as "clean" or join groups of people who self-identify as "clean" or "paleo," and the like.

I do not concede that someone who self-defines as say "paleo," cares more about health that someone who doesn't. They might just have different ideas about what's healthy. For example, I think it would be healthier for me to eat more beans than I do, whereas someone who self-defines as "paleo" claims that I should give up beans for health and someone against processed foods ought to (for consistency) point out that they are processed (even though I could easily grow them in my garden and dry them myself).

One can debate whether it's useful/healthy to include something processed like protein powder, but usually people don't include it because they are uninterested in health. That's why these discussions drive me crazy. The subtext is only people who self-define as "clean" eaters are concerned about healthy eating or worth discussing nutrition with.
    Ao the repeated "I wash my hands" and todays "drano" comments on the other thread weren't adolescent? ok.

I think lots of people have great conversations here. But certain words like "clean" lead folks to go silly.

There's no subtext, there's just my suggestion that folks can ask questions without wading through the "five second rule", and "my dishes are clean" crap that these threads usually devolve into.

Oh, and the "you're smug" comments. Those are always entertaining.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lemurcat, this is why I get so confused. It is all the rules associated with differing viewpoints on what "clean" or "whole" is. I can't see myself giving up every processed food if yogurt is even considered processed. My goal, I suppose, is to eat less boxed foods, less out to eat, and more foods that actually have a nutritional value. I guess I am not sure if that is "clean" or "whole" after all.

That's just it: you make decisions about what is healthy to you. I eat wallaby organic yogurt. Some folks eat yogurt and feel fine about that.
    I don't think rules. Ihink: is it nutrient dense, is it one of the better options, does it limit added sugars and unnecessary HFCS and does it taste good.

OP: I sent you a PM.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    You don't have to avoid going out completely- get a salad! If it's Mexican, get fajitas and avoid the tortillas. If Chinese, go for lean meat and veggies- Kung Pao is my favorite, and I avoid the rice.

Why are the rice and tortillas "clean" and not the rest of the food?

Just another demonstration that there's no agreement on what "clean" means.

Personally, I disagree with those who would argue that restaurant food is "unclean." I go to restaurants where I suspect the food is higher calorie than what I prepare at home, but I don't think they use ingredients that are lower quality. I wouldn't go there if I did.

Though I illustrated some of the whole food stuff in my post above, which I enjoy concocting for pure pleasure, I agree that no food is "unclean". Food is food.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That's just it: you make decisions about what is healthy to you. I eat wallaby organic yogurt. Some folks eat yogurt and feel fine about that.
    I don't think rules. Ihink: is it nutrient dense, is it one of the better options, does it limit added sugars and unnecessary HFCS and does it taste good.

OP: I sent you a PM.

All great. I don't see what it has to do with "clean" eating. Again, many people have similar interests re nutrition without proclaiming themselves "clean" eaters or deciding--as we see in countless threads--that they only want to share information with other "clean" eaters. There is often no actual difference in how "clean" and non "clean" eaters eat, so why?

• PSlosing29
    PSlosing29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Clean eating = non processed foods, non bleached foods. Foods that don't have ingredients you can't pronounce.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not really sure what clean eating is, or why there is the marketing hype around it. But.

I try to base 80% or so of my food on stuff I make from whole vegetables, animals I have met before purchasing them for slaughter, etc. I even grow some of my own soft skinned vegetables to reduce instances of utilization of industrially grown/gathered food. Personal choice and I have the opportunity to grow a lot of nice stuff.

The remaining 20%? I live near a couple good pubs. They try to buy locally as much as possible because it allows them to increase avg revenue by 10-20%.

Is there a difference in nutritional value? Naw, probably not. Most of it is feel goods, and I like having a collection of pictures of the animals that have inhabited my freezer. It's not going to change your life.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    clean eating threads usually turn into mocking, adolescent, train wrecks where folks become obtuse for "fun".

I disagree. People dislike being told that they don't care about health or eat "unclean" foods just because they don't share certain debateable (at best) premises, like that grains are bad or that all processed foods are bad or (most weird) that oatmeal and store-bought yogurt aren't really processed.

Why can't people share ideas about healthy eating more broadly instead of insisting that they exchange ideas only with those who self-identify as "clean" or join groups of people who self-identify as "clean" or "paleo," and the like.

I do not concede that someone who self-defines as say "paleo," cares more about health that someone who doesn't. They might just have different ideas about what's healthy. For example, I think it would be healthier for me to eat more beans than I do, whereas someone who self-defines as "paleo" claims that I should give up beans for health and someone against processed foods ought to (for consistency) point out that they are processed (even though I could easily grow them in my garden and dry them myself).

One can debate whether it's useful/healthy to include something processed like protein powder, but usually people don't include it because they are uninterested in health. That's why these discussions drive me crazy. The subtext is only people who self-define as "clean" eaters are concerned about healthy eating or worth discussing nutrition with.
    Ao the repeated "I wash my hands" and todays "drano" comments on the other thread weren't adolescent? ok.

This doesn't respond to my questions/arguments, though. It just says that others are bad too. IMO, "clean"--which means that all else is "unclean" or "dirty"--is divisive and rude terminology that is not only unnecessary but doesn't even clearly convey anything the poster is trying to convey. Like I've said before, I don't assume that everyone who uses it intends to be rude--I'm sure it's easy to pick up--but once you know others perceive it that way and that it's not understood as meaning anything that really sheds light on how you eat, why insist on the term? It has to be because the insult or divisiveness is intended, IMO. But I'm open to an alternative explanation, which has yet to be offered.

And that's also why I take the usual bad "jokes" about washing food differently than you do. I was trying to think of an analogy and hit upon one that might be more inflammatory, I don't know, but it seemed to help explain my perspective. I've been walking along and asked if I'm "born again." As with "clean eating," I'd argue that there's no settled definition of what "born again" means. In fact, IMO, it means baptized (which I am), but I know from past experience and common sense that if someone asks me that it means something more to them, often sharing in a particular experience and also often held to be exclusively the possession of certain segments of Christianity that I would not be considered a member of. So am I or not? Would it be rude to say yes because I personally reject the exclusive claim on the term by some? I don't think so. (Although being me I'm more likely to walk away or ask what they mean by that specifically, depending on mood.) I see this as what people who joke about washing their food are doing--they are rejecting the claim that their food, because "processed" or whatever, is unclean. In that exchange, they aren't the ones doing the insulting, then. The people you want to defend are. And I continue to not understand that.
    I think lots of people have great conversations here. But certain words like "clean" lead folks to go silly.

Probably true; I'm probably one of them. But if this is so, why cling so hard to the term? For what is it good except to claim that your standards are higher than those of other people, that your ideas about health and how to achieve them aren't simply one of many, to be discussed reasonably, but the only "clean" way to be?
    Oh, and the "you're smug" comments. Those are always entertaining.

Eh, lots of people around here are smug, but I don't see how one can post "I eat clean" without being smug. The "I don't eat processed food" one drives me crazy even more, since invariably people who say that do. Which is fine, of course, but why claim that you don't then?

I'm annoyed by this because while I don't see the point of excluding healthy processed foods (as I define what's healthy, of course), I do like discussing nutrition and how eating different ways affects people and cooking from whole foods and eating seasonally and all that. And yet consistently I get told that the only people who really truly care about health and who are worth exchanging ideas with are self-proclaimed "clean" eaters--a status that, again, I think relies on terminology that is inherently rude and, besides, almost no one here could really claim to be without hypocrisy based on the most common definition (no processed food).

If people want to get past the stupid debate about the name, why insist on using the name that obviously annoys many people (not just me)? It again seems intentionally provocative or insulting.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    PSlosing29 wrote: »
    Clean eating = non processed foods, non bleached foods. Foods that don't have ingredients you can't pronounce.

#facepalmchat
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "processed" foods? Cashews are processed, as they would be poisonous if we ate them raw. Cooking is processing. Many of the foods I purchase in packages are cooked with no preservatives or additives. For example, I have a can of pumpkin puree that has the following ingredient list: Pumpkin.

Grains are pretty much always processed, so are you pro grain or against? I buy organic Campari tomatoes on the vine...in a 2 pound plastic package from a warehouse club. Clean or not?

I buy organic garlic pre-peeled and minced in a jar with not additives or preservatives. Clean or not?

It's just not as simple as saying "non processed foods." That means a lot of different things to different people.
  • sparkly75
    sparkly75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

What's in an apple ?

Haha good point - or rather what's been done to the apple!?
    I've been playing around with trying to eat "clean" / organic / wholefoods - and have found it very hard not to mention expensive!

I buy organic when I can and try not to eat any processed food, stick to whole grains etc..
    and try to stay well away from food with a long list of ingredients that I can't pronounce.

Living like this all the time every day is something that I'm working on and when I have won the lottery it might be a bit easier to afford :smiley:
    But I think having something that isn't organic / whole etc .. once in a while is OK - especially considering the diets that most of us used to have!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    What clean eating means to me: I avoid processed foods, if the list of ingredients contain things I can't pronounce or I have to look it up I generally don't eat it. For the most part 90% of what we eat is made at home from scratch, but I have the time to do this. When I buy meat I buy organic, as I don't like the idea of added hormones. We don't drink cows milk (two of my kids are lactose intolerant and two have milk protein allergies) instead I buy the unsweetened almond milk. The most processed stuff we have in the house are things like ketchup, salad dressing, etc. For the most part my fridge is filled with fruits, vegetables, yogurts, cheeses, lean meats and fish. My pantry is full of baking stuff (so I have things on hand for baking breads, crackers, pasta), rice, beans, canned veggies, oats, nuts, dried fruits.

We rarely go out to eat, for a few reasons. There are 7 of us and dinner out can get very expensive very quickly. In general I have found that I can usually make it better and cheaper at home. If we do go out I usually stick to a grilled fish or chicken (that is NOT cooked in a sauce) or a salad (with dressing on the side). The only times that we usually have fast food is when we are on a road trip (or like the other day when I had to help hubby work on his car that broke down at his office, we had subway for lunch and a chicken salad bowl thing from taco bell for dinner). We try to stick to the "better" fast food places on road trips, though that doesn't always happen. I never buy hamburgers at fast food restaurants (my stomach doesn't tolerate them) instead I will order a grilled chicken sandwich with mayo on the side or a salad (if they have them) with dressing on the side. I personally have found that I don't crave junk food, and most of the time if I do eat some my stomach lets me know it doesn't like it.

My suggestion is to start making small changes as those become routine start adding more changes.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    sparkly75 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

What's in an apple ?

Haha good point - or rather what's been done to the apple!?

No, I'm pretty sure the poster meant literally, what's in an apple.we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    What clean eating means to me: I avoid processed foods, if the list of ingredients contain things I can't pronounce or I have to look it up I generally don't eat it. For the most part 90% of what we eat is made at home from scratch, but I have the time to do this. When I buy meat I buy organic, as I don't like the idea of added hormones. We don't drink cows milk (two of my kids are lactose intolerant and two have milk protein allergies) instead I buy the unsweetened almond milk. The most processed stuff we have in the house are things like ketchup, salad dressing, etc. For the most part my fridge is filled with fruits, vegetables, yogurts, cheeses, lean meats and fish. My pantry is full of baking stuff (so I have things on hand for baking breads, crackers, pasta), rice, beans, canned veggies, oats, nuts, dried fruits.

We rarely go out to eat, for a few reasons. There are 7 of us and dinner out can get very expensive very quickly. In general I have found that I can usually make it better and cheaper at home. If we do go out I usually stick to a grilled fish or chicken (that is NOT cooked in a sauce) or a salad (with dressing on the side). The only times that we usually have fast food is when we are on a road trip (or like the other day when I had to help hubby work on his car that broke down at his office, we had subway for lunch and a chicken salad bowl thing from taco bell for dinner). We try to stick to the "better" fast food places on road trips, though that doesn't always happen. I never buy hamburgers at fast food restaurants (my stomach doesn't tolerate them) instead I will order a grilled chicken sandwich with mayo on the side or a salad (if they have them) with dressing on the side. I personally have found that I don't crave junk food, and most of the time if I do eat some my stomach lets me know it doesn't like it.

My suggestion is to start making small changes as those become routine start adding more changes.

OP- bolded is good advice for just about everything here in the MFP world of diet/fitness and for those seeking it, better health. This topic always brings those who must attack everything including the terminology out of the woodwork. If they aren't doing it then noone else should either. Get educated on the topics you are interested in at the library or with established authors who are not trying to sell you something. Take the advice given here on the forums with a big grain of clean, unprocessed salt. Good Luck.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Again, this is the problem with "clean" eating discussions. About half of what you listed here would be considered "unclean" by most who follow the clean philosophy. So why label what you're doing as "clean" eating? A. It's not and B. it really does set people's teeth on edge with this false dichotomy of "clean" vs. "unclean" foods. The connotation of "clean" has a value judgement that "whole" or "healthy" just don't have.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

No...

So if I can pronounce it and you can not does that mean it is clean for me and not for you?