Why me???

Options
I know some people gain some water weight after a long run but many lose water weight instead...however, why am I that unlucky? I "gained" 10 pounds after 10 mile run on Saturday and still not going down yet...this is just too discouraging...

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sodium level?
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dare I ask, but so what if you did? Did your body fat % (not BMI) or inches around waist or hips go up? If not, who cares? It's not fat
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Don't worry. It's just temporary. I know it's discouraging because you aren't sure what you weigh for real and seeing a gain can be sad. But it will go back down eventually. :smiley: unless you ate 35 000 calories you didn't gain 10lb of fat. :wink:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    ah, I didn't track that. but really sodium can make that much difference? 10 lbs? i can't wrap my head around this...:(
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    To me it can. Drink lots of water and perhaps cut down on sodium for the next few days. Also, your muscles could be retaining water from the exercise you did.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Remember weight is just a metric. If you're not overweight, it's not really a particularly good one to use either to tell how "fat" you are. You get down below the 20% body fat range, how much muscle and water you have in your body start to have noticeable influences on your body. Results are really what matter, not what the scale says
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    A perfect storm of things could definitely do that....TOM, high sodium, stress, new workout schedule, etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It could be a combo of sodium and also muscle store water to repair and protect themselves. So if your 10K was not your normal training and you pushed yourself then a lot of the weight could be due to muscles storing it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    stop believing in the scale as this all-powerful measure of wellness, don't weigh yourself more than once every 10 days.
    You should align your weighing with the lunar cycles.
  • albayin
    Options
    jnord8729 wrote: »
    Remember weight is just a metric. If you're not overweight, it's not really a particularly good one to use either to tell how "fat" you are. You get down below the 20% body fat range, how much muscle and water you have in your body start to have noticeable influences on your body. Results are really what matter, not what the scale says
    with that 10 lb "gain" now i am officially overweight. wanna cry...
  • albayin
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    It could be a combo of sodium and also muscle store water to repair and protect themselves. So if your 10K was not your normal training and you pushed yourself then a lot of the weight could be due to muscles storing it.

well, i don't do 10 miles everyday but have been running like 5 miles a day...i guess i really freaked out. been in fitness for quite some time but still can't ditch the scale.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You should align your weighing with the lunar cycles.

How does this work for you?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I could see you retaining a few pounds of water, but probably not 10. The rest, I would expect to be the food you ate. It takes two days for food to completely digest and exit your body.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    albayin wrote: »
    ah, I didn't track that. but really sodium can make that much difference? 10 lbs? i can't wrap my head around this...:(
    hell yeah!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    albayin wrote: »
    I know some people gain some water weight after a long run but many lose water weight instead...however, why am I that unlucky? I "gained" 10 pounds after 10 mile run on Saturday and still not going down yet...this is just too discouraging...
    Oh, pooh! :)>:)

I run too, and that darned water retention. Ten miles is a long run, so I can see why you have water retention. It'll be fine, it'll disappear soon.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this reminded me of my 7 year old....

You are eating too much it seems. You dont put on weight by running, you will simply only retain some water for a limited amount of time.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

You are eating too much it seems. You dont put on weight by running, you will simply only retain some water for a limited amount of time.

You don't put on 10 pounds of fat overnight either... It's been two days, the water weight is a much more likely explanation.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

You don't put on 10 fat pounds in two days.