When should I lift?

Options
Hi! I have been incredibly sick with a sinus infection and I am finally starting to feel better. I have layed off all but the cardio. I took about a week off and just started again with LIGHT cardio. I have been doing the elliptical and not running and doing weights. I have also been walking. This is a huge adjustment for me as I normally lift 3-4 times a week, run often, and do yoga, etc. I am wondering when I can start to introduce weights again. I am scared I may weaken my immune system, but I am also scared of losing muscle. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can start whenever you feel up to it?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You can start whenever you feel up to it?

+1
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Try to increase your workout and see how you feel....I usually workout through sinus related stuff by just listening to my body. If it's a serious infection where I feel off balance, etc. I obviously don't workout. Start back up and just make sure you take rest if you feel you need it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you pick someone heavy up and don't want to pass out/vomit, keep picking it up.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Usually after some days off the first couple of weight sessions are not full on - or at least for me. You need to readjust and hence won't push yourself as hard and when on full steam. Start when you want and increase as you go along!
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the advice. I am thinking I may start today... Ugh!! Maybe tomorrow.... I am kind of dreading it, I feel like I have lost all my muscle. I know this is not true, but it has been a week . More like 10 days since I have lifted, :-(
  • TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    Start slow and easy. Because doing this when your immune system is still a bit weak probably isn't good in the long run, it'll put you out for longer.
    Let's not look at when.
    Start today, do it time-wise. Start from 5/10 minutes go up. Or reps, try 1 set with limited reps and just go from there.
    Start doing it twice/three times this week for shorter intervals and you'll rebuild endurance and strength towards it!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you've started your cardio back up, then you can definitely start your strength training back up. The huffing and puffing is worse for your sinuses than your weight training. Like everyone else said (and as you are starting to do with your cardio), start off lower intensity and go up gradually (like 65% of what you are used to doing on weights). If it feels like no challenge, go up from there. Doing cardio without the weights will make you lose some muscle strength, but hopefully not too much.

Chin up though, your muscles do have memory! :D
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Just get back to it when you feel up for it. If you have been doing cardio, you're probably good to go.

However, set your expectations - your first day back, just go do higher reps at lower weight. You will probably feel a little weak. This is not because you have lost a ton of muscle, but more because you ARE a little weak from being sick!
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. :)