Weekly weight loss?

Options
I messed around with my settings and it only states I'll lose an average of 1.5 lbs a week. I'm larger framed, 5'5.5", and I currently weigh 141. I have an ultimate goal weight of 125, but I'll be happy with 130 if I get back to as fit as I was before. I have gained weight due to nursing a neck injury from a car accident. I plan to work out 5x a week doing 30 day shred and I also plan to incorporate yoga in 3x a week before moving on to insanity in the next month or two. I don't work out on the weekends except chase and clean up after 5 kids. I eat at least 1200-1300 calories a day and every few weeks I will up my calories for a meal of my choosing. Am I aiming too high to think I can lose at least 2 lbs a week or should I be more realistic?

Replies

• JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here is a general guideline of what your goals should be set at:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Based on that, you should really only be losing .5 - 1 lb a week.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You can lose 2 lbs per week ... it isn't a healthy approach for the small amount you have to lose ... but it is possible. 1.5 lbs per week is overly aggressive for the roughly 10-15 pounds you want to lose. You do realize that the caloric goals provided by MFP are net calories, not total .... right?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Five days of exercising and a full time mom of 5 means you will need some good calories to keep up. Two lbs is pretty aggressive. At this point, you should probably focus on cutting fat and maintaining muscle. Honestly, if possible, I would drop cardio a bit and add more resistance training.

And if you follow the TDEE method (incorporates exercise into the equation so you aren't eating back exercise calories), I would start you at 1800 calories total, macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. At the same point, i would recommend a good food scale to be accurate and log daily.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some doctors say that 1 to 2 lbs per week is what is recommended, there's nothing particularly dangerous about more than that, if it is done in a safe way. The National Institutes of Health warns against women eating less than 1,200 calories per day and men eating 1,500 calories per day, so for a person to lose more than 1 to 2 lbs per week, they will have to incorporate enough exercise to increase their calorie deficit, rather than just reducing consumption. Most people don't have enough time to dedicate to weight loss to create much more than a 1,000 calorie deficit. On top of that, the more quickly a person loses, the more quickly they tend to gain it back.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Here is a general guideline of what your goals should be set at:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Based on that, you should really only be losing .5 - 1 lb a week.

This is really good info.