Two cans of refried beans

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
Two cans of refried beans have come into my posession recently. Neither I nor my kids are big fans of beans of any type, but I find them enjoyable under certain circumstances. Anybody have any good recipes?

Replies

• TatianaSoe
    TatianaSoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can send them to me! I love refried beans, but sadly I can't get them out here.

Anyway, you can try this recipe. I've tried one similar to this and it was good, this one also has good reviews. You can omit the extra beans if you want a less beany meal.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fast-refried-bean-soup

Also you can use them in burritos (just spread the beans over the tortilla and put in whatever else you like) or even make quesadillas with beans instead of cheese (or mix beans and cheese).
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I like using them in burrito bowls. Ground turkey/beef/chicken or fajita meat, a small serving of beans, avocado, sour cream, and cheese. Yum!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go another direction here.

Bean pies. What do you think?
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I second the burritos suggestions. I throw a few tablespoons on a whole wheat tortilla, a light sprinkle of shredded cheese, a dab of sour cream, drizzle of salsa and a strip or two of pan seared steak. Yum! About 400 calories the way I do it and a very filling and delicious dinner.
  • TatianaSoe
    TatianaSoe Posts: 38 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I second that recommendation. Those are good, they remind me a bit of pumpkin pie. Definitely worth a try.

Edit: don't know how the pie would taste using refried (probably pinto) beans.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Make bean and cheese enchiladas!

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    TatianaSoe wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

I second that recommendation. Those are good, they remind me a bit of pumpkin pie. Definitely worth a try.

Edit: don't know how the pie would taste using refried (probably pinto) beans.

yeah no clue.... I'd experiment. lol
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i mix them with ground beef and seasoning and keep it in the fridge for emergency taco night, when I dont want to cook but need to eat something.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There's a weird snack that I can't even imagine the name of that you might like if beans are not your fave, b/c it's only a little.

Take slices of italian or french bread. Something like from a long loaf like a baguette or something and sliced thick not thin like crostini but thick like bruschetta. Smear a light shmear of beans on it. Like if you were putting cream cheese on a bagel.

Top with a slice of monterrey jack or probably any white cheese you like. But the slice can be thick like a quarter inch or a half.

Toast in toaster oven or oven until you know the cheese melts and the bread crisps.

Sprinkle with a hot sauce like tapatio or cholula or something.

Eat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Another idea.

Tortas.

It's a sandwich with round flat bread, meat like carne asada and also features a shmear of beans instead of a whole dollop like a burrito.

Google it there are many recipes but my fave features the above ingredients and jalapeno's and little else. (except maybe a beer to wash it down, and an avocado in the sandwich if I happen to have one.)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Bean dip. Mix with some taco seasoning, cream cheese, and some shredded cheddar, melt it all together. Serve with chips, veggies, etc.

Huevos rancheros. Pan fry a corn tortilla til it's crispy at the edges. Top with hot refried beans, a fried egg, and salsa.

7 layer dip. Mix cold beans with taco seasoning and a little salsa. Spread in a dish or platter. Top with guacamole, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, salsa, olives, sour cream, etc. Serve with chips, crackers, veggies, etc.
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a food bank.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    After watching one of Matty Fusaro's IIFYM videos, I started putting that in my taco salads, and it makes them sooooo much better!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Taco pizza, baby! I spread refried beans over the crust instead of sauce, top with some ground meat I have seasoned with southwest or Mexican spices, cheese, cilantro, green onions, etc. Good stuff.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I LOVE making sort-of juevos rancheros. They're not real juevos rancheros, but if you bake a tortilla in the oven with some of the beans and some cheese on top until the tortilla gets crispy, then top with a poached egg, some avocado, and some salsa- it is amazing.

Like I said, not real juevos rancheros, but that's the only thing I can really compare it to without just calling it "egg and avocado and cheese and salsa and beans on a crispy tortilla."
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "I wanna tried fried beans. Because maybe they're just as good as re-fried beans, and we weren't wasting time." ~Mitch Hedberg
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Breakfast- Egg, beans, cheese, green onion, tomato, turkey bacon, cilantro, greek yogurt (like sour cream) on a tortilla. WOWIE! SO GOOD!
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    right out of the can with a spoon and a squirt bottle of hot sauce lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I would eat them outta the can with a spoon.