Dear morning workout people

Replies

• Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Dear morning workout people,

I think you're awesomely hard-core amazing. And I hate you. >:)

In all seriousness though, I really admire you for wanting to workout in the mornings. But are you a morning person? For me, I love the idea of early morning workouts, running along trails as the sun rises, at one with the universe, and all that.

But, it does not matter how tired I am at the end of the day, I would rather workout already exhausted, than have to get up earlier and go for a run. I wake up so slowly and with so much sleep inertia that I become physically ill and have to stop.

If you do end up finding yourself not waking up in the mornings and working out. (Because honestly, I think that's the majority of people.) Then you have to be ready to just make it happen at night, no matter how tired you are. Being exhausted is not a good reason to skip a workout. Push through it no matter what.

Kudos to you if a morning workout fits your lifestyle. I'm just offering an alternative, based on my view of reality. ;)
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Mindarin wrote: »

In all seriousness though, I really admire you for wanting to workout in the mornings. But are you a morning person?
    I am a morning person (because I can only sleep 5 to 6 hours if I am lucky), but was never a morning person enough to workout. The first few months were difficult. Body cold. Weather cold. Either ate too big of a snack, or too small. But I kept with it and figured out a way to optimize the experience and get it down to a routine where I don't have to think about it.

Now, I can't wait to go to bed to wake up and train.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

But, it does not matter how tired I am at the end of the day, I would rather workout already exhausted, than have to get up earlier and go for a run. I wake up so slowly and with so much sleep inertia that I become physically ill and have to stop.

i used to be exactly like this. i got down to the root of the problem, and realized i wasn't getting enough sleep. i was watching tv late into the night, and having some late night alcoholic beverages, which was making any sleep i did got not as rejuvenative as it could be.

so basically i started to cut back on the alcohol, and stopped watching TV past 9pm. now i easily wake up at 4:30am, and am usually out the front door by 515.

If you do end up finding yourself not waking up in the mornings and working out. (Because honestly, I think that's the majority of people.) Then you have to be ready to just make it happen at night, no matter how tired you are. Being exhausted is not a good reason to skip a workout. Push through it no matter what.

yes, this has also happened to me. i've had a morning workout scheduled, and for whatever reason i had to skip it. when you're training for a big race, you still have to get the workout in, and if that means doing it at 7pm after a long day at work, then it has to get done.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Mindarin, I get it! My body just won't cooperate early in the mornings as far as a successful workout routine goes. Was determined to be that person in high school. Failed. As a college student, it was my goal! Failed. In my 30's, with 2 small children it was the best time of day to get it done. Failed. Now I'm in my 40's, finally got a hold on this thing that my body has been trying to tell me for decades. "You are not a morning workout person!" Ok yeah, I got that now. :)
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member

In all seriousness though, I really admire you for wanting to workout in the mornings. But are you a morning person?
    I am a morning person (because I can only sleep 5 to 6 hours if I am lucky), but was never a morning person enough to workout. The first few months were difficult. Body cold. Weather cold. Either ate too big of a snack, or too small. But I kept with it and figured out a way to optimize the experience and get it down to a routine where I don't have to think about it.

I agree. It took me a few weeks. Now it's the best part of my day. I love getting up early to workout. Even on the weekends when I dont need to get up that early, I still do it.

• ebfmfp
    ebfmfp Posts: 13 Member
    ......sleep in my workout clothes. I roll out of bed and stumble down the stairs...
    This.
    For me the gym was near work which was a 30 minute drive. Hydrate and intake some energy food first thing.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It sounds simple, but you've gotta want to workout/progress/improve more than you want to lay in bed. Once you do, you'll find getting up early gets easier and easier.
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014

I agree. It took me a few weeks. Now it's the best part of my day. I love getting up early to workout. Even on the weekends when I dont need to get up that early, I still do it.

I live in Wisconsin. I got up Sunday at 430, got in the car at 530am. There was a frost/snow mixture on my car window and cold rain on the ground. (How does that happen?) Here I am in my shorts, carrying my water bottle and scraping the windows so I could get to my gym 15 minutes early and get some extra work in that morning because I wanted to.

You feel extra special-badass.
  • jillmarie125
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    It sounds simple, but you've gotta want to workout/progress/improve more than you want to lay in bed. Once you do, you'll find getting up early gets easier and easier.

^^ This, 100% this.
  • jillmarie125

I live in Wisconsin. I got up Sunday at 430, got in the car at 530am. There was a frost/snow mixture on my car window and cold rain on the ground. (How does that happen?) Here I am in my shorts, carrying my water bottle and scraping the windows so I could get to my gym 15 minutes early and get some extra work in that morning because I wanted to.

that is badass. i am in Buffalo, and yeah we get a lot of snow too. But I just have to walk down my stairs....

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks (I used to run after work and lift weights on weekends, but life circumstances changed and I can't do that anymore), but I'm getting up at 5 to work out and strangely enough it's not awful. I'm done by 5:45 and I have a smug little feeling all day that it's done and over with and I can just "be lazy" when I get home from work. Of course I'm falling asleep by 9 and I'm no fun at parties anymore. lol
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    My trick is sleeping with a nightlight. Although it takes some getting used to, it makes getting up when the alarm goes off much easier.

n11uxfk4mo4s.jpg

This is funny :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

that is badass. i am in Buffalo, and yeah we get a lot of snow too. But I just have to walk down my stairs....

I do the same... I got the basics in my basement, so I don't really have any excuses.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    My trick is sleeping with a nightlight. Although it takes some getting used to, it makes getting up when the alarm goes off much easier.

Scaredy cat. That excuse won't fool me.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Sleep in workout clothes and have everything else ready to go. I'm not by nature a morning workout person. I did it once this summer because I wanted to work out before going on vacation. Loved it so much, I now incorporate morning workouts several times a week.
  • civilizedworm
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I do the same... I got the basics in my basement, so I don't really have any excuses.

I'm in my early forties and have had taken too much time off in the past. This gives me extra incentive to not miss workouts. I have slept-in enough.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Ive been getting up at 415 am for the past three years Monday -Thursday for bootcamp. It has changed my life in many ways. One of which is that I have to go to bed really early every night in order to wake up that early! Your body gets used to it and on the days I dont work out I have a really hard time getting my day started. I feel so sluggish! I LOVE WORKING OUT IN THE MORNING!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I go to the gym around 5am and get home around 630. Shower. And I am instantly awake and refreshed. Granted I'm in bed by 8.
    Haven't gone this week due to a nasty cold but hope to get there by the weekend.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    I make sure my gym bag is packed the night before, my lunch is made and the coffee pot is set up to start brewing at 5:30. I work out before work Monday through Friday, and that's just how it's gonna be !
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    prepare as much as you can the night before. Have your work out gear near your bed if that helps. I started in winter last year and it was pretty tough to get out of bed some days but, I persevered with it. The rewards have been worth the effort so, when your enthusiasm is waning consider your goals.
This discussion has been closed.