HELP!! Dark circles/bags under eyes and acne

Options
So I've been on MFP for a little over 3 weeks and overhauled my diet, eating at 1390 calories (goal set at 0.5 pound loss/week). I've also incorporated exercise into my daily routine (cardio - 30 minute walks/running and body weight strengthening). I thought that this would help my skin but instead I am breaking out (I usually have very clear skin) and really dark circles/bags under my eyes. Instead of looking healthier and younger, I look older and tired all the time.

In case you're wondering, I get at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night so it's not a sleep issue.

What to do? Am I missing some important nutrient? Do I need to incorporate some multivitamin/food into my diet? Please help!!

Replies

• GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? If you started working out you'll need more than your usual intake.
  • porscheMD
    porscheMD Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dark circles: reduce sodium, drink more water.
    Acne: Make sure you wash your face before and after working out (clogged pores). It happens to me too.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A closed diary makes it impossible to know what nutrients you are, or aren't, getting. You thought it would help your skin ... but in the same sentence say you usually have good skin ... a bit contradictory. There is no mention if any things are in play ... stress from work, TOM, etc.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? are you doing net method, as in not including exercise into your activity levels, and if so are you eating back your exercise calories as you are supposed to?

You're probably not eating enough unless you are already short and slim, and as far as skin goes it's probably just something simple like touching your face too much while working out (getting the cleaning spray on your skin in the process), or using a sweat towel (this broke me out when I used to do it), or some other change you've made (e.g. washing your face more or using different products if you are not a water-washing type of person).
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can't see what you're eating but try having a medium sized banana in the mornings for breakfast. It's full of nutrients. Try having blackberries and greek yogurt for dinner and stay away from fried food. Maybe this drastic change made a difference. I use Neutrogina Acne face wash scrub (it's a pink tube) it improves skin in one day. Good luck on your wedding!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you're diary is closed, only you can look and tell us if you're getting enough nutrients. How do you FEEL?
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    green tea bags soaked in water and then placed on eyes will reduce puffiness in eyes
  • ana3067
    Options
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    I can't see what you're eating but try having a medium sized banana in the mornings for breakfast. It's full of nutrients. Try having blackberries and greek yogurt for dinner and stay away from fried food. Maybe this drastic change made a difference. I use Neutrogina Acne face wash scrub (it's a pink tube) it improves skin in one day. Good luck on your wedding!!

a) skin is not improved in one day. trust me, I used to have moderate-severe acne. Took about a year to clear up on its own once I stopped using skincare products (I remove makeup with oil and cotton pads now, use oil to moisturize, water to wash in the shower), then another few years for most of my marks to fade and most of my scarring to fill out.

b) who eats yogurt and fruit for dinner? Like, I'll do lazy crap like that every now and hten, but that is not the entirety of my dinner unless I ate like 1-2 full large containers and a buttload of fruit. Otherwise this dinner recommendation is way too low-calorie.

c) Fried food doesn't cause acne. Eating a banana in the morning won't make her not break out.
  • glogirl27
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I'm a daily coffee drinker (only 1 cup) though I've been trying to taper that down by alternating with tea every other morning. I guess I really need to increase my water intake now that I've been exercising although I usually don't sweat during my 30 minute walks. I also get cold really easily so the higher heating at home at night might be another factor.

I've also heard an iron deficiency may cause dark circles - anybody heard of this?
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? If you started working out you'll need more than your usual intake.

+1
  • ana3067
    Options
    glogirl27 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that I'm a daily coffee drinker (only 1 cup) though I've been trying to taper that down by alternating with tea every other morning. I guess I really need to increase my water intake now that I've been exercising although I usually don't sweat during my 30 minute walks. I also get cold really easily so the higher heating at home at night might be another factor.

I've also heard an iron deficiency may cause dark circles - anybody heard of this?

Have you only just recently started reducing your coffee intake? This could be contributing to your dark circles, if it's the only other recent change you've made aside from decreasing calorie intake. Although if you're calorie intake is too low for your energy needs, then this is likely where you should make the changes.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've noticed what I eat affects my skin way more than exercising and sweating ever has. If I spend a weekend eating crap foods, I'll surely break out by Monday. The less processed foods I eat the clearer my skin is. I have a handful of friends who would say the same thing. What I eat also effects my moods and energy levels.

If your calories are correct and you are somehow accounting for exercise, you are drinking enough water (half your body weight in ounces is minimum), and getting enough sleep - I'd consult a doctor if things don't improve shortly. You may be missing or deficient in something, etc.

Best of luck!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi! Make sure that you don't have heat rash on your face...it might not be acne. Washing before and after workouts should help, but if it doesn't go away, see a doc!
  • ana3067
    Options
    I clearly must be the only person in this thread who doesn't wash her face before and after exercise. Hell, I don't even usually wash my face after exercise, and might not even shower afterwards (just shower the next morning instead). Skin is totally fine, and as mentioned above I used to have moderate-severe acne. I even wipe my face with my arms or shirt a lot while working out now, no issues. I touch my face a lot overall too, no significant skin issues anymore. Picking at my face though, thajt's another problem.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that can cause breakouts. Acne is usually a result of blocked pores, bacterial infection in the pores or allergic reaction to some item your using. How is your cleaning regimen and what do you use? Have there been any changes? Diet may play a role as the body tries to secrete oils and waste through the skin but will usually only make a problem worse, not create a problem. If you haven't had a problem with acne before and it just started, it may be a result of extra sweat being excreted through your pores but being blocked by dirt, makeup or other materials. Lots of water will help as this will make you eliminate more waste products in your urine and not through your skin. Some allergic reactions may appear as breakouts but are adverse skin reactions. Only you can truly figure out the underlying issue with the help of a dermatologist. We can only guess.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the dark circles are generally just blood pooling under the skin in your eyes. It looks more visible because that is the thinnest layer of skin on your body and is more visible if you are Caucasian. All you have to do is to get the blood flowing from that area as the capillaries there are pretty thin and tend to leak if swelling increases. You say you are getting enough sleep but is your sleep deep sleep or fitful?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is extremely important. You said you reduced the quantity of what you are eating but did you maintain or increase the quality? If you do not have a healthy diet, it may be that you were getting sufficient nutrients from its larger size before but an unhealthy diet at a reduced quantity may have resulted in nutrient shortages. Also, consider what you eliminated to cut your caloric intake. For more information about designing a health diet for yourself, consider the "Healthy Eating Plate" at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    glogirl27 wrote: »

Never heard of that. Make sure to drink plenty of water even if it doesn't remove your dark circles. My daughter has dark circles and she has plenty of iron. She gets 8-9 hours of sleep per night too. But she's also had the dark circles since she was little.

• karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    karenkasbi wrote: »

a) skin is not improved in one day. trust me, I used to have moderate-severe acne. Took about a year to clear up on its own once I stopped using skincare products (I remove makeup with oil and cotton pads now, use oil to moisturize, water to wash in the shower), then another few years for most of my marks to fade and most of my scarring to fill out.

b) who eats yogurt and fruit for dinner? Like, I'll do lazy crap like that every now and hten, but that is not the entirety of my dinner unless I ate like 1-2 full large containers and a buttload of fruit. Otherwise this dinner recommendation is way too low-calorie.

c) Fried food doesn't cause acne. Eating a banana in the morning won't make her not break out.

goodness gracious. thanks for the input. This Neutrogina kills the pimples I get in one day. I have seen quick results with it. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. A banana for breakfast is a great idea since it keeps you full when you're dieting and has a lot of nutrients that people usually miss. With 1200 calorie diet, sometimes I go without dinner and have Greek yogurt with fruits, other times I eat the size of the palm of my hand. We're trying to lose weight here! =) I've heard that fried food is bad for the skin. I've also heard dairy triggers acne, not entirely sure though.