How much fruit is to much fruit?

Options
Fruit is healthy and delicious! But too much a good thing is never good. How much fruit should you/do you consume in a day? I eat 3 sometimes 4 pieces a day but it always sends me skyrocketing above my sugar goal. Is this still healthy or should I cut back? Some helpful insight would be great! :)

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If you look in the toilet and you see a tree, you've hit "too much".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Have you been told by your doctor to watch sugar? Are you over your calories? Are you having trouble meeting other goals, like amount of protein or fat or servings of vegetables?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it. This is how I judge what's too much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Any amount that doesn't put me over my carb goal 250 grams.
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat the recommended two serves a day (300g).
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Don't eat so much fruit that it would mess up your macro and calorie goal....or cause other *cough* digestive problems.

As I don't have any medical problems that require me to monitor my sugar intake, I don't.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If I poop out my eyeballs, I cut back on fruit.. If I am under on protein and over on calories, I cut back on fruit. Otherwise, most of my carbs comes from FRUIT or vegetables (but mostly fruit) because I eat very little grains, legumes or starchy veg.
  • gizmo_2014
    Options
    The only way you can have too much fruit is if it is putting you over your calorie goals. Don't worry about the sugar in it. It is healthy for you so don't limit it too much.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 sometimes 4 pieces a day but it always sends me skyrocketing above my sugar goal.

Do you have a medical condition which necessitates you tracking sugar closely? Otherwise it may simply be worth keeping an eye on your overall carb total instead rather than worrying about it.

Alternatively 2-3 servings a day is a good compromise.

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're tracking your sugar intake so closely? Otherwise, the sugars in fruit shouldn't concern you too much. The only time I'd worry is if you eat a huge amount of fruits at the expense of other taking in other essentials like proteins, and certain vitamins, i.e, eating fruit and not eating meat or dairy, etc.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You could always try lower glycemix fruits if you are concerned about sugar. I eat strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and bananas on a daily basis and rarely go over my sugar.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    At Weight Watcher meetings, where fresh fruit has zero points, we were instructed to not even track it. One person said, "Well, what about pears or watermelon?" The Weight Watchers leader responded, "Honey, none of us are here from overeating pears or watermelon".
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,407 Member
    Options
    I also had the same concerns because I eat apples every day. What I do is mentally keep track of all the "added sugar" counts and try not to go over my total allowance. That way I still keep on track with fiber, calories, etc.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I also had the same concerns because I eat apples every day. What I do is mentally keep track of all the "added sugar" counts and try not to go over my total allowance. That way I still keep on track with fiber, calories, etc.

I do pretty much the same as marilynann. In addition to apples, I love my fruit smoothies so I don't worry so much about my MFP total sugars but I do break out the added/processed sugar and try to keep that total to 30g or less a day. The fiber in fruit slows the release of sugar into the blood stream so you don't cause insulin spikes which can, over time, cause insulin resistance and contribute to heart disease. For this reason, I don't worry about sugars from fruit as long as I maintain my calorie goal.

If I do have processed sugar (I love dark chocolate truffles), I try to eat it with or shortly after meals so the fiber in the meal will help slow the absorption of the sugar.

I don't follow a Glycemic Index diet in any strict manner but it gives me an easy to follow guideline for selecting foods that won't play havoc with my blood sugar levels. I know that's not for everyone but it works for me.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/379508-the-glycemic-index-table-of-fruits-vegetables/

http://www.gisymbol.com/about/frequently-asked-questions/

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    When your diet is unbalanced, it's too much. 3-4 strawberries or grapes a day is rarely going to be too much, but 3-4 apples or bananas may be.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Gee, it depends on the size of the you...NFL lineman, little old lady...Probably one more fruit than enough is too many. Not all fruit is healthy. Some is soaked in toxic pesticides.