Pear Shaped Woman : Is there a perfect weight

Options
I'm a typical pear shaped woman of
height: 5'3''
weight 147 pounds
wondering what is the perfect weight for a pear my size...

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    If you use the regimented BMI, anything between 104.4 and 141.1 is recommended. However, weight isn't really a good standard to go by as body fat is what's important. You can be 105 and still have a body fat index of 25%, that is still unhealthy although you'd be considered underweight. You have to decide for yourself what you want to look like, thin and lean, muscular and toned or just overall athletic to decide how much weight you would like to have on your body. Your body shape also has little to do with it as everyone woman has the same bone structure. Your shape is defined by the location of your lean muscle and body fat, either can be adjusted based on exercise and diet. Build muscle in your upper body and your shape will change accordingly as you lose weight overall.

General answer to your question is it depends.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't really trust bmi calculators, I find them very general and obviously not for my body type. I do think body type has a lot to do with it ( the way you look) . I also have been working out for over a year and even though I haven't lost much weight ( scale wise) I look and feel a lot better ( my shoulders also look a lot wider and more athletic), just wondering about others going through the same journey.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Everybody looks different, even if they have the same shape. Your body fat percentage may be completely different than a fellow pear-shaped person that's the same height and weight. They might carry their fat differently than you.

Soooooo, there's really no perfect weight for a specific shape. Just focus on getting to a healthy weight that you're comfortable with and can maintain.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Depends on your height, and how "severe" your pear shape is. I am an extreme pear. I am 5'5" and my goal wt is 155 lbs, vs someone who might be a little less of a pear might have a goal of much less.