1 or 2 lbs per week?

Options
13»

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Your body does not have vast stores of many vitamins. And what about the ones it cannot store for more than a short period of time in any event?

I'm not advocating anorexia; you will get those vitamins from eating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Your body does not have vast stores of many vitamins. And what about the ones it cannot store for more than a short period of time in any event?

I'm not advocating anorexia; you will get those vitamins from eating.

I was not insinuating you were. I responded to a specific claim you made.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    bajoyba wrote: »
    To lose 2 lbs a week, you have to create a deficit of 1000 calories a day. If you are 100 pounds overweight, you maintain your weight at a much higher calorie goal than someone who is not carrying 100 extra pounds, which makes it much easier to create that large deficit.

I'm 5'6", weigh about 148 pounds, and maintain my current weight at approximately 2100 calories a day when I'm moderately active. If I want to continue my current activity level and drop 2 lbs a week, I should eat no more than 1100 calories a day. When I was 86 pounds heavier, I required more calories to maintain my weight of 234 pounds, so I could lose 2 lbs a week while eating more calories. At a certain point, creating such a large deficit is problematic because it becomes difficult to meet your body's caloric and nutritional requirements on so few calories (put another way, it's much easier to get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs in 1800 calories a day than it is to get them in 800 calories a day).

I hope that explains it better.

Your numbers ignore exercise. While losing at 2 lbs per week would put you at 1100 per day without exercise, it would be 1800 a day if you were burning 700 calories through exercise. Or even 2500 per day if you were burning 1400. One of the things I've noticed about some of the theories on this site is that they seem to be based on a person losing weight by sitting on the couch and watching television. Even people who aren't overweight need to get outside and do something.

But maybe they don't get outside and do something. And unless they're some kind of overweight athlete they are not burning 1400 calories a day, not 700 calories a day, and very lucky and hard working if burning 500.

The 148lb person you mentioned would burn about 1400 calories cycling at 16mph for two hours. There's no reason for us to assume that people should aim for half a pound per week just because some other person is too lazy to exercise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    To lose 2 lbs a week, you have to create a deficit of 1000 calories a day. If you are 100 pounds overweight, you maintain your weight at a much higher calorie goal than someone who is not carrying 100 extra pounds, which makes it much easier to create that large deficit.

I'm 5'6", weigh about 148 pounds, and maintain my current weight at approximately 2100 calories a day when I'm moderately active. If I want to continue my current activity level and drop 2 lbs a week, I should eat no more than 1100 calories a day. When I was 86 pounds heavier, I required more calories to maintain my weight of 234 pounds, so I could lose 2 lbs a week while eating more calories. At a certain point, creating such a large deficit is problematic because it becomes difficult to meet your body's caloric and nutritional requirements on so few calories (put another way, it's much easier to get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs in 1800 calories a day than it is to get them in 800 calories a day).

Your numbers ignore exercise. While losing at 2 lbs per week would put you at 1100 per day without exercise, it would be 1800 a day if you were burning 700 calories through exercise. Or even 2500 per day if you were burning 1400. One of the things I've noticed about some of the theories on this site is that they seem to be based on a person losing weight by sitting on the couch and watching television. Even people who aren't overweight need to get outside and do something.

But maybe they don't get outside and do something. And unless they're some kind of overweight athlete they are not burning 1400 calories a day, not 700 calories a day, and very lucky and hard working if burning 500.

The 148lb person you mentioned would burn about 1400 calories cycling at 16mph for two hours. There's no reason for us to assume that people should aim for half a pound per week just because some other person is too lazy to exercise.

Lean person doing high amounts of cardio at a large deficit - fantastic advice!

Edited as I found the answer to my question. Not being someone who cycles, (or runs...must be lazy lol) what kind of pace is 16 mph? Seems like a pretty hefty pace to burn that much at that weight.

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    [q
    The 148lb person you mentioned would burn about 1400 calories cycling at 16mph for two hours.
    Timothyfish
    That is one hell of a calorie burn there--Person would weigh about 100 lbs in a week--wow good advice dude -- I looked at your diary and I find it hard to believe that you burned 1200 cals today bike riding (and have burned twice as much as that on other days,or so your diary says) and only ate 1538 calories all day of which 19 grams were protein?-WOW--good luck with that pace---On Sat you burned 2,380 cals exercising and ate 2261cals total?--No offense but I do not need your advice on weight management and please double-check those calories burnt during exercise
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Actually I find it crazy and insulting to assume that someone is lazy because they are aiming for half a pound per week loss. You don't know what that person's goals are (i.e. body recomposition/minimizing muscle mass loss), nor how much they are exercising.

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

But...I have stuff to do. Besides that some people (Like myself) work out plenty and still prefer a small deficit. In fact I prefer it because I work out. My lifts suck if I'm a bigger cut. My recovery time suffers. I'm more prone to hurting myself.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    [q
    The 148lb person you mentioned would burn about 1400 calories cycling at 16mph for two hours.
    Timothyfish
    That is one hell of a calorie burn there--Person would weigh about 100 lbs in a week--wow good advice dude -- I looked at your diary and I find it hard to believe that you burned 1200 cals today bike riding (and have burned twice as much as that on other days,or so your diary says) and only ate 1538 calories all day of which 19 grams were protein?-WOW--good luck with that pace---On Sat you burned 2,380 cals exercising and ate 2261cals total?--No offense but I do not need your advice on weight management and please double-check those calories burnt during exercise

Totally agree! Crazy. You missed Friday were he burned 4,300 calories with 4 hours of bike riding and 1/2 hour mowing the lawn! That is awesome.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options

Losing weight can be a balance - too low calorie target (ignoring the other issues re lbm retention etc), can make adherence hard and can led to binging/falling off the wagon as well as low energy. Too high of a target (i.e. too slow of a weigh loss) can also lead to some adherence problems - dieters fatigue. Its all about finding that balance.
    This this this this this!!
    It is about finding what works for you and what you can stick to.
    If you can stick to losing 1-2lbs a week at a lower weight loss to go fine. If you can't and need to go slower - also fine. Whatever fits you.
  • TimothyFish
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ingasmile2 wrote: »
    Totally agree! Crazy. You missed Friday were he burned 4,300 calories with 4 hours of bike riding and 1/2 hour mowing the lawn! That is awesome.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't actually ride four hours on Friday. That was the day I linked MapMyRide to MyFitnessPal, so it reported that I rode two hours, even though I had manually recorded a two hour ride. I have now deleted the manual entry.
    Timothyfish

I'm using the same estimation tools as everyone else. I also suspect the numbers are high, which is why in MapMyRide I gave it a lower weight than what the scales show, but I've done the math using my logged calorie consumption and my weight loss. They weren't as far off as I expected, so either the estimations are close or I'm burning more calories doing other stuff than I realize.

I don't expect most people to be able to burn calories at the same rate as I do. I am above the 95 percentile in terms of height. Even at my goal weight of 208, the estimates say that I should be able to burn 900 calories per hour at 16mph. Realistic? I'll redo the math when I reach that point and find out. But I'm hoping that after dropping another 50lbs, and continuing to exercise, I'll be going faster than 16mph, which would have the estimate at 1100 calories per hour.

I don't know where you're getting your "100lbs in a week" statement. A calorie deficit of 1400 per day would only be 2.8 lbs per week. For a 148lb person to drop 48lbs in a week, they would have to have a deficit of 24,000 calories per day. Tour de France riders are only burning through about 8,000 calories per day, so I think that would be a little excessive for the average 148lb person.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/nutrition/the-tour-de-france-diet-how-to-consume-8-000-calories-a-day-20140710
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ingasmile2 wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't actually ride four hours on Friday. That was the day I linked MapMyRide to MyFitnessPal, so it reported that I rode two hours, even though I had manually recorded a two hour ride. I have now deleted the manual entry.
    Timothyfish

I'm using the same estimation tools as everyone else. I also suspect the numbers are high, which is why in MapMyRide I gave it a lower weight than what the scales show, but I've done the math using my logged calorie consumption and my weight loss. They weren't as far off as I expected, so either the estimations are close or I'm burning more calories doing other stuff than I realize.

I don't expect most people to be able to burn calories at the same rate as I do. I am above the 95 percentile in terms of height. Even at my goal weight of 208, the estimates say that I should be able to burn 900 calories per hour at 16mph. Realistic? I'll redo the math when I reach that point and find out. But I'm hoping that after dropping another 50lbs, and continuing to exercise, I'll be going faster than 16mph, which would have the estimate at 1100 calories per hour.

I don't know where you're getting your "100lbs in a week" statement. A calorie deficit of 1400 per day would only be 2.8 lbs per week. For a 148lb person to drop 48lbs in a week, they would have to have a deficit of 24,000 calories per day. Tour de France riders are only burning through about 8,000 calories per day, so I think that would be a little excessive for the average 148lb person.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/nutrition/the-tour-de-france-diet-how-to-consume-8-000-calories-a-day-20140710

I don't agree with calorie burn at all but I don't want to argue. I am interested to see if you keep up with your lean body mass. You eat very minimal protein. It would be interesting to see your lbm percentages/muscle loss as you go. If you're in the 95% for height, I would imagine nutritionally you should be getting at least 130gm of protein a day and with the workouts a lot more.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    I don't agree with calorie burn at all but I don't want to argue. I am interested to see if you keep up with your lean body mass. You eat very minimal protein. It would be interesting to see your lbm percentages/muscle loss as you go. If you're in the 95% for height, I would imagine nutritionally you should be getting at least 130gm of protein a day and with the workouts a lot more.

In part, that minimal protein is due to inaccuracies in the database and I haven't been watching my protein that closely. During the summer, I was consuming significantly more protein, but I was also riding more. As for arguing over the calorie burn, I have no intention of arguing over that either. All I have to support it is the normal estimation tools and the results from a heart rate monitor.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

In part, that minimal protein is due to inaccuracies in the database and I haven't been watching my protein that closely. During the summer, I was consuming significantly more protein, but I was also riding more. As for arguing over the calorie burn, I have no intention of arguing over that either. All I have to support it is the normal estimation tools and the results from a heart rate monitor.

I am not going to sit here and argue with your numbers either. I wish you good luck in whatever it is you are trying to do.