It's a non-linear process- picture of my weight chart

Options
Just thought some other people would be interested in what a 3 month weight loss journey really looks like. TONS of ups and downs. I chart my weight every day and when I go up 2 or 3 pounds I freak out, but looking back I see it's perfectly normal. This is a loss of about 14 pounds. 96u22abyjvtj.jpg

Replies

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I log my weight daily on an app called "Happy Scale" that basically takes this into account for you and smooths out the line, so you still see the overall downward trend and don't have those freak-outs when you're up a couple of pounds :smile:
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have to ask - the sudden downturn of the trend. What did you do there? Did you tighten up on your logging? Add in more exercise? Discover the magic "easy" button? LOL
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use a simple motivation trick for my weight tracking. It's two steps:

1. I only log my weight if it decreases. If I weigh in 4 times and get 240.0, 241.3, 240.2, 239.4 I will log 240.0 and 239.4 and disregard the others.
    2. I always add 1 lb to the logged value; so in the example above what I'd actually log is 241.0 and 240.4 (scale plus 1).

The benefits of this are simple:

1. When I look at my weight history, it ALWAYS shows 100% progress. I never give myself a reason to think that things have gone off the rails or that I've plateaued, I have continuous evidence of success.
    2. When I DO struggle - say my weight doesn't drop for 7 days or so - I can always remind myself that my ACTUAL weight is 1 lb lower than the chart, which feels mentally like progress even if I know it's a white lie I'm telling to myself.

Doing this I find I get less discouraged and keep myself motivated day to day.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have to ask - the sudden downturn of the trend. What did you do there? Did you tighten up on your logging? Add in more exercise? Discover the magic "easy" button? LOL

I'm pretty sure that is when I came on here and wrote a post about why I wasn't losing weight. A whole TON of people answered back with amazing advice. It turns out I was just eating way too much!
  • Beploveshomer
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I use a simple motivation trick for my weight tracking. It's two steps:

1. I only log my weight if it decreases. If I weigh in 4 times and get 240.0, 241.3, 240.2, 239.4 I will log 240.0 and 239.4 and disregard the others.
    2. I always add 1 lb to the logged value; so in the example above what I'd actually log is 241.0 and 240.4 (scale plus 1).

The benefits of this are simple:

1. When I look at my weight history, it ALWAYS shows 100% progress. I never give myself a reason to think that things have gone off the rails or that I've plateaued, I have continuous evidence of success.
    2. When I DO struggle - say my weight doesn't drop for 7 days or so - I can always remind myself that my ACTUAL weight is 1 lb lower than the chart, which feels mentally like progress even if I know it's a white lie I'm telling to myself.

Doing this I find I get less discouraged and keep myself motivated day to day.

That's a good idea!
  • Beploveshomer
    Options
    corinic91 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this! I log my weight daily on an app called "Happy Scale" that basically takes this into account for you and smooths out the line, so you still see the overall downward trend and don't have those freak-outs when you're up a couple of pounds :smile:

That would be neat to have, since I only have an ancient flip/trac phone I have to do it the old-fashioned way! lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    5na2u417ae1x.jpeg

I like this guy